Got a E-mail From Toys R Us on Why they Overcharge on Lego's

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Got a E-mail From Toys R Us on Why they Overcharge on Lego's

Post by emazers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Dear Ed Mazerski:

Thank you for contacting The “R” Us Family. We appreciate your concern regarding our prices being different than other retailers in your area.

We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced; however, a variety of cost factors goes into our store pricing, including but not limited to: the volume of our sales for the item in question, amount the manufacturer charges, cost of shipping it from the manufacturer to the store, amount of shelf space required, etc. While we try to keep our prices competitive with other companies which sell the same item, we are not always able to do so. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our offices at 1-800-ToysRUs (1-800-869-7787). Anyone who answers may be able to assist you.

Thank you once again, Ed Mazerski, for contacting the “R” Us family, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Alanna 3381
The “R” Us Team

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Got a E-mail From Toys R Us on Why they Overcharge on Le

Post by dho7622u » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Wow. At least you got a reply. I am still waiting for one....2 days now.

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Just of Bunch of Lies, and lego is Scared to say something to Toy's R Us, they can'tt afford to loose there account, and since Toys R Us. I have an Account with Lego, The Star Wars Lego Jabba's Palace my price is $83.99 and REtail is $119.99 a Case price is $167.98 plus $10 a box for shipping, so my price is $88.99 for a case of them, There was a Lego Rep in my Toys R Us a few years ago and he told me Toys R Us gets them alot cheaper because they buy so many, so Toys R Us are Really big Rip-offs, If Everybody would Complain might help. Ed

nkx1
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by nkx1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 pm

emazers wrote:Dear Ed Mazerski:
...While we try to keep our prices competitive with other companies which sell the same item, we are not always able to do so...
Lol, that is quite a hilarious statement. Businesses often don’t last long if they sell an identical widget as the next guy for a higher price. Perhaps TRU has found some way to make it work in the short run, but in the long run, people will probably catch on and buy Lego elsewhere. Then again, there is no shortage of stupid people out there, so who really knows. As for myself, I only buy Lego at TRU during BOGO50 sales like many others here (although with the ridiculous markups, even the BOGO50 sales aren’t even that great).
emazers wrote:Just of Bunch of Lies, and lego is Scared to say something to Toy's R Us, they can't afford to lose there account… If Everybody would complain (it) might help. Ed
Best way to vote/complain is with your wallet!

pushpin
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by pushpin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:53 am

nkx1 wrote:
Best way to vote/complain is with your wallet!
Sadly, I think we (cost-conscious shoppers) are a minority so our "vote" will be vastly outweighed by less informed shoppers.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 am

It's true, this website is a community of cost conscious buyers when it comes to Lego and we are greatly outnumbered by the majority. Not to sound negative, but I thought it was pretty straightforward why TRU charges more, they want more money. If I had a business and I knew I could charge more and get what I was asking by most of my customers I would do the same thing.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 am

Yeah, honestly I think TRU just has a different business model than your average big box store. They keep a greater amount of product on the shelves for a longer time period and as such charge a premium to make up the difference. No one said you were required to buy anything there.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

echobanzai
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by echobanzai » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:07 am

awesome screenname. the fact it is your name makes it so!!!

thanks for posting the letter. tru is almost impossible to shop at now, except for the occasional sale. i noticed everything is marked up.

in paramus nj, they are 'test' stores, if that is even true. so they change the prices to see what people are willing to pay. and bergen county is one of the richest in the country, so it should not count. i tell people in there all the time, 'drive half a mile to the lego store and you will save 10 bucks.' but they just buy.

but i saw a power ranger mini-zord for 12 bucks in k-mart. in tru its 22 bucks! that is a HUGE price difference on something so cheap.

marvel legengs action figures are 2-4 bucks more expensive there as well. so i am assuming everything is hiked up.

like this week, the x-wing was 'on sale' for 49.99, NOT 44.99 like everywhere else.

you just need to be an informed shopper, because the days of msrp at tru are LONG gone. the new owners are all about profit, and it shows.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 am

sadowsk1 wrote:It's true, this website is a community of cost conscious buyers when it comes to Lego and we are greatly outnumbered by the majority.
This.

I think most people forget this (or are perhaps unaware of this) when they complain about TRU's price hikes.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 am

echobanzai wrote:awesome screenname. the fact it is your name makes it so!!!

thanks for posting the letter. tru is almost impossible to shop at now, except for the occasional sale. i noticed everything is marked up.

in paramus nj, they are 'test' stores, if that is even true. so they change the prices to see what people are willing to pay. and bergen county is one of the richest in the country, so it should not count. i tell people in there all the time, 'drive half a mile to the lego store and you will save 10 bucks.' but they just buy.

but i saw a power ranger mini-zord for 12 bucks in k-mart. in tru its 22 bucks! that is a HUGE price difference on something so cheap.

marvel legengs action figures are 2-4 bucks more expensive there as well. so i am assuming everything is hiked up.

like this week, the x-wing was 'on sale' for 49.99, NOT 44.99 like everywhere else.

you just need to be an informed shopper, because the days of msrp at tru are LONG gone. the new owners are all about profit, and it shows.
awhile back, I noticed that TRU in bergen county didn't have any markups. Now they are just as bad as NYC. maybe not as bad as the store in Queens but they are up there now. $5.49 for batman jet ski. Not sure if I am willing to make my rounds around NJ

fanjo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by fanjo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Over in the UK TRU are worse. They have the SW Y-Wing 9495 for £59.99. S@H £49.99.
The same for other items.

tensor
Knight
Knight

Post by tensor » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 am

emazers wrote:Just of Bunch of Lies, and lego is Scared to say something to Toy's R Us, they can'tt afford to loose there account, and since Toys R Us. I have an Account with Lego, The Star Wars Lego Jabba's Palace my price is $83.99 and REtail is $119.99 a Case price is $167.98 plus $10 a box for shipping, so my price is $88.99 for a case of them, There was a Lego Rep in my Toys R Us a few years ago and he told me Toys R Us gets them alot cheaper because they buy so many, so Toys R Us are Really big Rip-offs, If Everybody would Complain might help. Ed
I'm confused, "$88.99 for a case of them"

How many are in a case? Or asking another way, how much do you pay wholesale (in total, including shipping) for a single Jabba set?

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:16 pm

The Jabba's Palace there are 2 per case, My Price Direct from Lego for a Case is $167.98 plus $10 shipping a case. so thats $88.99 for one, There is no tax either. Ed

gmpirate
I'm New !

Post by gmpirate » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:00 am

echobanzai wrote: the new owners are all about profit, and it shows.
Lol, you do know that is the point of a business, right?

jal4u2c
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jal4u2c » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Wow! $88.99 for 2 Jabba's Palace??? The Toys R Us by me has that set marked at $!50!!! Can i buy wholesale from you??? LOL

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm

slacker wrote:
awhile back, I noticed that TRU in bergen county didn't have any markups. Now they are just as bad as NYC. maybe not as bad as the store in Queens but they are up there now. $5.49 for batman jet ski. Not sure if I am willing to make my rounds around NJ
Its probably because NYC is both a tourist and high income area. There's also only one Toys R Us in Manhattan. Even though Manhattan is the richest boroughs in NYC, I'm sure most of the locals there would not buy from that location as Time Square prices are ridiculous (more meant for tourists). As such, those high income families living in the Upper East Side and Upper West Side will go to other Toys R Us in neighboring cities/boroughs. For driving a few more miles, they still pay less markups compared to Times Square even though Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey are still higher than the typical Toys R Us.

Bronx is probably the only area in NYC that would have regular Toys R Us prices. I wouldn't be surprised if prices there are even cheaper. There's a store at Gateway Center on 610 Exterior Street and its the closest one to Manhattan/New Jersey. Wouldn't be much of a problem if you drive there through the 87 highway. However, you should avoid unnecessary street travel or travelling in the early mornings/late nights. If you take the Subway, just be extra cautious and try not to stand out. (wait in the designated waiting area where operators can see you and sit in the first car or in the conductor's car)

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Ice wrote: However, you should avoid unnecessary street travel or travelling in the early mornings/late nights. If you take the Subway, just be extra cautious and try not to stand out. (wait in the designated waiting area where operators can see you and sit in the first car or in the conductor's car)
Just reading this makes me nervous.

david

drtabo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by drtabo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Ice wrote: There's also only one Toys R Us in Manhattan. Even though Manhattan is the richest boroughs in NYC, I'm sure most of the locals there would not buy from that location as Time Square prices are ridiculous (more meant for tourists).
Two if you count FAO.

moonagedaydream
I'm New !

Post by moonagedaydream » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I hadn't been in a toys r us in years until a few days ago. I asked a woman working there if they ever clearanced out Lego's and she laughed at me. Then she admitted herself, "we have sales all the time, but you can usually still get them for cheaper elsewhere." Hey, at least she was honest.

doncajun
I'm New !

Post by doncajun » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Ice wrote:
slacker wrote:
Its probably because NYC is both a tourist and high income area. There's also only one Toys R Us in Manhattan. Even though Manhattan is the richest boroughs in NYC, I'm sure most of the locals there would not buy from that location as Time Square prices are ridiculous (more meant for tourists). As such, those high income families living in the Upper East Side and Upper West Side will go to other Toys R Us in neighboring cities/boroughs. For driving a few more miles, they still pay less markups compared to Times Square even though Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey are still higher than the typical Toys R Us.

Bronx is probably the only area in NYC that would have regular Toys R Us prices. I wouldn't be surprised if prices there are even cheaper. There's a store at Gateway Center on 610 Exterior Street and its the closest one to Manhattan/New Jersey. Wouldn't be much of a problem if you drive there through the 87 highway. However, you should avoid unnecessary street travel or travelling in the early mornings/late nights. If you take the Subway, just be extra cautious and try not to stand out. (wait in the designated waiting area where operators can see you and sit in the first car or in the conductor's car)
All of the TRU locations in New York City regardless of borough are marked up at the same rate - usually about 15-25%, which from what I've seen is the highest rate around. All of the Targets in New York City share roughly the same markups too -- Hogwart's castle sets were selling for $158.99 as the base price. If you want Lego without a Markup in NYC your best bet is the Queens Lego store.

Or just go to New Jersey - most stores there have no markup. The only stores (both TRU and target) in New Jersey that mark up higher than the typical markup is Jersey City, and isn't as much as the NYC rate and its offset by only 3.5% tax.