Kmart store closing- dover NJ. 30% off toys.

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
Nepenthe7
Knight
Knight

Kmart store closing- dover NJ. 30% off toys.

Post by Nepenthe7 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:02 am

No signs outside, but when I went in, I saw the store closing signs. Not much Lego left... I'll miss the 50% off Lego clearance deals :(

wyldjedi
    Citizen
    Citizen

Re: Kmart store closing- dover NJ. 30% off toys.

Post by wyldjedi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:13 pm

My local K-Mart has been going through the motions of closing their store and if it has not already, it will be closing very soon. What I find interesting is that the few K-Marts within reasonable driving distance never had any deals, especially on Lego. Not to mention their Lego isle was about 1/3 as much as Targets or Walmarts, and were never stocked well to begin with. If anything I am more surprised that my local store has stayed open this long, not to mention the entire chain. If you want to survive a Zombie apocalypse, hole yourself up in a Kmart

SEK527
    Honored Citizen
    Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:23 am

The KMart store near my parents' home is always busy & it's not closing. Its LEGO selection is scrappy & I I only found one small Chima set at a decent price there. But then again I only stop by there a few time a year. I've gotten some deals on sets online through KMart. I hope that the people losing their jobs will be able to get new ones quickly.

MrVEP
    Knight
    Knight

Post by MrVEP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 am

Where I live there used to be 7 Kmart, 4 closed within the past 3 years. Back when the first two closed, around 2011, I was not interested in Lego. I was buying Star Wars collectables and did not even look at the Lego section.
    In 2012 I was able to go and saw some sets at 30% but I did not know much about Lego and I did not buy any.
    In 2013 I bought a few LOTR sets at 30%, but the majority of the other sets did not survive to 50%; they were gone. In 2014 the last Kmart that close handed out to customer a special booklet with coupons for $10, $20(x2) and other discounts. Some coupons will give you reward points back (20000 pts etc.). You needed to use them at others Kmart stores and made a minimum purchase of X amount to get the discounts.
    I was able to get 3 of these booklets and believed me combined with surprise and rewards points I made out like a bandit. All the Lego sets I bought were at a minimum 30% or more off the original price. At the same time you earned rewards points. Every Sunday I checked my email for Shop Your Reward deals and it seems the more purchases I made the more email they sent me with even more deals. They will say something along the line of “Sorry that your local Kmart is closing, but here are some rewards points for you to use”

I was able to buy 15 Mixels (Series 3) for $3.40 each!! Lego SW minifighters various for $5.50 (x6), set 9472 for $19 (it was on clearance), set 70807 for $15, sets 70804 and 70805 for $10 each, set 70814 for around $20, and set 70808 for $11.85.

It was an addictive cycle but I did not mind at all. It was sad when it was over, I ran out of coupons. The down side being there are fewer stores to get future deals. It seems that Kmart will go the same way as the late KB Toys. Oh well another retail chain that will become part of the USA history books.
    RIP

SpaceNinjaDino
    Royal Guardian
    Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm surprised that both my Kmarts survived the cut. One of the stores doesn't seem to get a lot of business; the revenue must be barely meeting expenses.

slacker
    Royal Guardian
    Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:49 pm

The two Kmarts by me passed the cut. I'm sure when they opened, they were in a real popular shopping area with a movie theater and many other stores. They are located in a suburb area not densely populated. The population has not changed nor did any of the stores. Most left. A few left struggling. Most of the shoppers are elderlys.. so I'm sure they are not interested in Lego deals. I've found a few deals here and there and made one major score when I had them price match their website once.