Used Taj spotted at shop goodwill

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Used Taj spotted at shop goodwill

Post by grommom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:55 pm

So I know most of you may not have good luck with auctions at shop goodwill but this one might not get as high as it could if it were advertised properly. It's just listed as a bulk lot instead of the Taj mahal plus other stuff and hovering at $400ish.

I thought I'd share since this is out of my range but a potential good find, generally I don't think everyone is scouring the bulk lots but locals, which is why I found it, but if you wanted it the shipping would be worth it. Auction ends the 16th.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/HU ... 30083.html

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Used Taj spotted at shop goodwill

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Nice catch. It's up to $650+ now, though, with 45 min to go.

soooo tempting...

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Ended at 801, which isn't as high as I thought it could get!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 am

What is everyone's experience with shopgoodwill?

Every time I check it I am tempted to bid on a bunch of things. I usually do when they are cheap, and then get out bid and don't push it any further because of the lack of guarantee on the products being complete or in good condition etc.

Has anyone purchased sets that they thought would be complete and ended up having them not be? My experience with shopgoodwill is limited because I am wary.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Overall, I've had a good experience there, but it is definitely a roll-of-the-dice situation. If you keep expectations low, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

My worst catch was a used lot that had a ninjago set that was on my son's wish list. The bricks were so dirty and such a mess (chewed on, etc) that I ended up not giving it to him.

Grab bags with new-in-bag parts, but not complete sets, are my favorite. They've been hard to come by lately, though.

My 2nd best score was listed as a taped-up, beat up old box with no pictures of what was inside. I took the risk (I think the winning bid was $12 or so, incl. shipping) though because it was a $60 set on bricklink. I figured it was probably even chances that the box was full of junk. Luckily, I came up positive--- inside the set was new in sealed bags.

My best score was a used lot with an instruction manual that I had been looking for to complete a set. The lot had a bunch of technic beams, too, which we never seem to have enough of. Hidden in the bottom, though, was a Batman Tumbler from the first wave (7888) with a Batman fig in the drivers seat. If the GW folks had put that in the first picture, the lot would have sold for 4 times what I paid for it.

Overall, I think its worth dabbling here and there. I think it's a great place to pick up older sets on the cheap, or random bulk parts for MOCs. With the sets, you may have to bricklink a few missing parts, but I now have a few gems in my collection that I wouldn't have otherwise. But don't wager money that you'll miss if the lot misses your expectations. Not every lot is a gem in the rough.

Also, if you can swing a local pick-up, that can help---their shipping costs tend to be high.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:58 am

I feel I've done well but you have to be able to walk away and not bid emotionally.
I've gotten a couple new in box sets and a couple of lots locally. Most lots seem to go to one person and you have to outbid him. He usually just bids a per pound so you can beat him if there's something special you want and are willing to pay more for. I once got 100 minifigures for $102 which i think is reasonable since most were complete and there are a few Harry potter characters in there. Most auctions of 100 minifigures seem to go higher than that plus there's shipping but mine was local.
In general the photos are not clear enough to see damage so some minifigures have had light tooth marks on heads, but some lots are perfect, I'm assuming it depends on the kid who previously owned it. I did get one lot where I've had to recycle quite a few elements but one of the perfect minifigures mixed in there was a fairly rare Harry potter character, Ron's dad, so that made up for the mega blocks and other random junk in there.
I agree with space viking, you kind of have to decide if it's worth the risk, so I never bid too high on minifigures if i want a lot, they seem to all come around again and again, so if you don't win you can try again. ...then again my wants ate toy story (almost have all now) tmnt and lego movie, Harry potter are nice to find mixed in but I never bid on those directly because they get quite high in price. That and star wars.

GoldenBricks
Peasant
Peasant

Post by GoldenBricks » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I have made several purchase in the past but not any more. The prices / bids have got to the point where sets quite often not much different then if you buy them in the store after you figure in their shipping and handling charges (they don't charge handling charges on many of their other items up foe bid but they know they can get away with it with Lego.

The used stuff to has become quite high and now most all of the locations will pull out ALL of the minifigures and sell them separate. Some locations make sure that they make their bulk bags of Lego under 5 pounds and still will charge a $4.00 handling charge just to pack up your order which they got for free.

Most all of them have become quite Lego savvy so the good deals are a lot more rare these days, at least in my opinion.

Jim

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:26 am

Yes I've noticed some stuff sells for more than retail, eg ewok village for $249 plus shipping and handling. I could get that new for $250 and get vip points. The only thing i can think is people are somehow writing this off as a donation on their taxes? Although I can do local pick up worth no handling fee or shipping so if the right set or lot is for sale near me I can get it and not pay too much.