Barnes and Noble clearance event

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
minifigW
Knight
Knight

Barnes and Noble clearance event

Post by minifigW » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:11 am

I have been hearing reports of a huge lego clearance event at many B&N's, sets ringing up for 50% off. Membership discounts stack I believe.

I will be compiling a list of discounted sets later but I wanted to get the word out.

MagnusReign
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Barnes and Noble clearance event

Post by MagnusReign » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Cool I will def check it out.

minifigW
Knight
Knight

Post by minifigW » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:31 pm

LEGO Super Heroes The Milano Spaceship Rescue 76021 - 37.47
LEGO Minecraft The Mine #21118 - 59.97
LEGO Super Heroes X-Men vs. The Sentinel 76022 - 24.97
LEGO® Super Heroes Batman™: The Joker Steam Roller 76013 - 24.97
LEGO City Excavator and Truck 60075 - 24.97
LEGO City Arctic Outpost 60035 - 24.97
LEGO City Arctic Helicrane 60034 - 19.97
LEGO® brand Disney Princess™ Rapunzel's Creativity Tower 41054 - 19.97
LEGO Super Heroes Knowhere Escape Mission 76020 - 19.97
LEGO Minecraft Micro World ''the End'' - 21107 - 17.47
LEGO® brand Disney Princess™ Cinderella's Dream Carriage 41053 - 14.97
LEGO City Snowplow Truck 60083 - 9.97

And more. Thanks to the BP forum for the heads up

ABS_Accumulator
I'm New !

Post by ABS_Accumulator » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:27 pm

A few more I found to add to the above list:

City - Arctic Base Camp [60036] $44.97
City - Crook's Hideout [60068] $34.97
City - Helicopter Surveillance [60046] $37.97
City - Prisoner Transporter [60043] $12.47
Chima - Strainor's Saber Cycle [70220] $7.47
Super Heroes - Avengers: Hulk Lab Smash [76018] $24.97

****Incoming wall of text about B&N****
Some of this has been posted in the B&N FAQ, but not all. If anyone has more info or further explanation please feel free to post it or direct me to a link.

--Membership discount--
I signed up for a year membership for $25. The 10% membership discount stacked with clearance items, resulting in a 55% net discount off MSRP. Of course you have to purchase more than $250 worth of items over a year period to get the $25 initially invested back so it may or may not be worth it to you. The 10% membership discount only works in-store and not online. They did mention that your family can share the card (not sure if that's just immediate family or more) and they can pull it up for a family member at the register using your phone number. There's also a disclaimer on the membership form that memberships auto-renew a month before your year is up so make sure to put it in your calendar to cancel.

--Find those clearance items on the B&N website--
Search for the Lego sets you're interested in on the B&N website and click on the "Available for pickup in store" link. This will show you whether or not the item is in stock at your local store and the clearance price will be reflected. iPhone users can download the B&N app and use the in app barcode scanner to scan in store. The app isn't available for Android right now so us poor Android users will have to go through the website process as described above.

--Local stock reported online might not actually exist--
I didn't see a few of the clearance super hero sets at my local B&N, but they showed up as in stock locally online so I did a couple reservations through the website. Unfortunately, in an hour or so I got an email and a text saying they were unable to locate these items. Some Lego Reddit users reported that their local B&N won't even bother reserving clearance items and just report them as unavailable (maybe they dont want to search the clearance tables?). However, at my local B&N I saw a City Arctic Outpost [60035] behind the front counter with a reservation paper attached to it so it looks like someone got it to work. It's possible that there's a time lag in the system and someone got those super hero sets before I showed up.. or simply their reported inventory was incorrect.

--Store specific clearance--
When comparing reported clearance items against some Lego Reddit posts it appears that some clearance items are nation wide, while others might be store or region specific. Ex: When searching for prices, my local store shows City Swamp Police Station [60069] and City Deep Sea Helicopter [60093] as MSRP, while others have posted that they're showing up as 50% off for them. I wonder if this has anything to do with if the store bothered to mark the clearance sets with red dots or not.

--Clearance tables--
All the clearance sets I found at my local store were unidentified as clearance and still on the shelf mixed with 2016 sets.

--Older items on clearance, but oldest items not on clearance.--
For my local store, Strainor's Saber Cycle [70220] was listed as clearance, but Chima Braptor's Wing Striker [70128] was not. The funny things is that Bricksets shows [70220] as a 2015 set, while [70128] is a 2014 set. I think someone setting up the clearance sale on the corporate side may have missed it.

--Small sets not on clearance--
A lot of the older $9.99 or $4.99 MSRP sets were not on clearance at my local B&N. I think this may be because they don't take up a lot of room so the opportunity cost of keeping them on the shelf at full price is low.
Last edited by ABS_Accumulator on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.

MagnusReign
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MagnusReign » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 am

Are these items in the clearence section with the red stickers? Or are they marked at all? Is it a case where I have to take the item to the register to get it scanned to see the price? The one location I checked out didn't see much in the clearence section.

Side note, what is the BP forum?

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks! I picked up Cinderella's carriage for my daughter so she'll be very happy.

My B&N had a pushcart with a clearance sign on it right next to the regular clearance tables, with red stickers on the items that were up for grabs. Besides the carriage, the only items on clearance were a bunch of Chima I didn't pay attention to.

brickster90
Knight
Knight

Post by brickster90 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:28 am

Found City sets listed above, as well as whatever is left from Chima and a few Duplo sets. Grabbed the one copy of Spider-Man vs Electro because it was $6.48.

ABS_Accumulator
I'm New !

Post by ABS_Accumulator » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:44 pm

I've seen some mention on Lego Reddit posts and other generic website savings guides that items flagged as B&N clearance may eventually go to 75% MSRP. Does anyone know if this is true and if so how long does it usually take? Do you think it's nation wide or store/region specific? There's a few sets at my local B&N that I dont think are worth pulling the trigger on at 50%.. but at 75% I'd happily take them. :-D

minifigW
Knight
Knight

Post by minifigW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:32 pm

ABS_Accumulator wrote:I've seen some mention on Lego Reddit posts and other generic website savings guides that items flagged as B&N clearance may eventually go to 75% MSRP. Does anyone know if this is true and if so how long does it usually take? Do you think it's nation wide or store/region specific? There's a few sets at my local B&N that I dont think are worth pulling the trigger on at 50%.. but at 75% I'd happily take them. :-D
Yes, B&N does go to 75% off. Don't expect the price drop to be quick though.

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 am

More accurately, don't expect the price to get to 75%. If you want it, get it, or it will be gone.

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for this OP. I have a couple of sets I held off on reserve.

sgogeta4
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sgogeta4 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Sweet find. Went to my local B&N and found one Joker steamroller for half off! Also, picked up X men sentinel set and two city sets (60034 and 60068). They had two hulk lab smash sets still there as I already have it.

biglesdug
Peasant
Peasant

Post by biglesdug » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 am

only thing on clearance at my local B&N was Chima battle packs :down:

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:53 am

I checked my local store Wednesday night. I didn't see anything on the Clearance tables or on the Lego shelves.

pepe
Peasant
Peasant

Post by pepe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 am

Ditto, nothing left at the 2 stores in my area either.

ivyhedge
I'm New !

Post by ivyhedge » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 am

Definitely store based.

Some folks found countless boxes on tables, while others found that nothing was on tables, with taking units to the cashiers the only way to reveal the discount. In my case (in metro Boston) I was told by several store folks - including one manager - that their store would *not* be participating. That information was later found to be questionable at one place and (so far) true at two others.

I got one Mine, but am done. Most of the sets don't interest me and I don't plan on reselling. I only buy what I want to build, then deconstruct for parts.

Cowabunga_kid
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Cowabunga_kid » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks OP! Was able to get the three superhero sets I wanted. I just used the reserve feature online, some stores put them aside, but others didnt fulfill the request due to not actually having it.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Thank you! I was near a Barnes and Noble today and stopped today just because of your post. Found a few Chima sets, Minecraft The Mine, City Arctic set with helicopter and 4 sled dogs, and GOTG Starblaster Showdown. All were marked with a red sticker, on a cart near the front doors and 50% off the regular price.

I only purchased the GOTG set even though the box was damaged. Its a set that I liked for the minifigure parts, is becoming very hard to find and a good deal at $10. Thanks again for posting!

rcaranda25
I'm New !

Post by rcaranda25 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:03 am

Thank you. I used the online reservation on the website. I was able to get two out of the three I reserved, with one of the items unable to be located in the store. I walked around the store and found one area with clearance items. None of which had any legos. Looks like I may have gotten the last two clearance items. I got the Rapunzal set for my daughter and the XMen set for my son (the Xmen box was heavily damaged but all the pieces were there).

Thanks again for posting.