LEGO Store Black Friday?

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

LEGO Store Black Friday?

Post by BrickUpdate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering how the LEGO store handled Black Friday in year's past. I had read that they offered scratch off deals, where you would get 10-20-50% off. Was that for a single item, or for an entire purchase? Was it all day, or just before some insane early hour?

Any experiences are appreciated. For some of the more desirable sets I want (Fire Brigade, Green Grocer, etc) I'm thinking this might be my best bet!

Thanks.
-Dan

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO Store Black Friday?

Post by natelite » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm

entire purchase. all day. i would just buy one set at a time. that way you maximize your chance of scoring a 20% or 50%. make sure to spread out your purchase evenly so in the event you score a big discount you get to maximize it.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 pm

its hard to say how Black Friday will be done this year since alot of stores are now spreading out the days when they do these deals due to the deaths and dangers caused by the black friday sales, most stores have been getting pressured by groups concerned about the death toll occuring at stores on Black Fridays.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:16 pm

natelite wrote:entire purchase. all day. i would just buy one set at a time. that way you maximize your chance of scoring a 20% or 50%. make sure to spread out your purchase evenly so in the event you score a big discount you get to maximize it.
That is awesome! What are the odds of getting 50% off?

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Also remember if LEGO does the discount deal again it will be on that purchase and no other.

FireWolf
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by FireWolf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Think Legoshop.com offered these savings and free shipping at the same time for last year's black friday.

$10 off $100 purchase
$20 off $200 purchase
$30 off $300 purchase

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks everyone! So it seems that a 10% discount is very likely at a minimum, which is kind of nice. Where I am, this takes care of tax, and then a bit more.

Can you imagine going to the LEGO store and getting a 50% off coupon? That would be dangerous!
Looking forward to the next few weeks!
-Dan

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 am

Unfortunate you have to make the purchase first then find out what discount you get, so it makes it really hard to get good dc. Hence my suggestion to spread the purchase. The alternative is to waste everyone's time by buying and returning until you get a good deal. But you'll end up pissing off the employee who had to process all that stuff. You'll probably won't be welcome at the store going forward.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:49 am

natelite wrote:Unfortunate you have to make the purchase first then find out what discount you get, so it makes it really hard to get good dc. Hence my suggestion to spread the purchase. The alternative is to waste everyone's time by buying and returning until you get a good deal. But you'll end up pissing off the employee who had to process all that stuff. You'll probably won't be welcome at the store going forward.

some stores had a policy no returns accepted on the Black Friday sales day.

castleyellow
I'm New !

Post by castleyellow » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:06 pm

What my wife and I usually do is pick out one of the small/medium sets each, get in line separately, and see if either of us end up with more than 10%. If one of us ends up with more than 10%, we would just ask if we can go see if we can't find anything else and then we get back in line when we've finished looking around again. We've never had any pushback. And if we each end up with just 10%, then we usually just finish our initial purchases and move on to another store sale. Though we've never come back and made additional purchases later, that would be great if we could get another scratcher and another shot at the amazing if not illusive 50%.

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Transformers2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:10 pm

The scratch cards with 50% off happens very rare. They're like 1/2000 scratch cards I bet.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 pm

castleyellow wrote:What my wife and I usually do is pick out one of the small/medium sets each, get in line separately, and see if either of us end up with more than 10%. If one of us ends up with more than 10%, we would just ask if we can go see if we can't find anything else and then we get back in line when we've finished looking around again. We've never had any pushback. And if we each end up with just 10%, then we usually just finish our initial purchases and move on to another store sale. Though we've never come back and made additional purchases later, that would be great if we could get another scratcher and another shot at the amazing if not illusive 50%.
Sounds like a good plan.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 am

If you read earlier posts and thought omg! No returns?! Well, for the record, I never had any problems returning black friday stuff at ANY store and when it comes to sales, I know my stuff. Read the store policy if in doubt.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:59 am

natelite wrote:If you read earlier posts and thought omg! No returns?! Well, for the record, I never had any problems returning black friday stuff at ANY store and when it comes to sales, I know my stuff. Read the store policy if in doubt.
But you still get unhappy workers. :lol:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 am

Unhappy workers are going to be par for the course around the holidays, especially on Black Friday. So much is asked of them, even beyond what you see on the sales floor. It's a tough job, and the insanely early opening and closing hours of the stores doesn't help!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 am

I'm pretty sure unhappy workers are par for the course in retail in general. Aside from Food Service, it's probably one of the most unrewarding jobs out there.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 am

Let it be Known alot of Stores have started policies regarding returns on Black Friday not Black Friday stuff, reason being more stores are too busy to handle exchanges and returns on Black Friday, and because people would buy things a couple of days before and return on BF to get the sale price, it is because of that that alot of stores are no longer accepting returns on BF, think about it, someone buys all 4-5 $500 items that will be on sale on BF for $200 and return them on BF and get them at the sale price, other customers get screwed and the store gets screwed.
Last edited by Asterios on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAYMATIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by JAYMATIK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am

Any experiences are appreciated. For some of the more desirable sets I want (Fire Brigade, Green Grocer, etc) I'm thinking this might be my best bet!
You should have taken advantage of the online TRU sale on those. Fire Brige and Green Gorcer are currently on sale for $134.99 plus an additional 20% off with FREE shipping. You won't find anything better than that on the Fire Brigade. Too bad TRU has them OOS now...

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 am

Also if I remember correctly it is one 50% off coupon per store, also LEGO might make some direct changes on things since a couple stores got in trouble when for some reason the 50% off cards happened to be for very large purchases(several thousands), which anybody knows the odds of that are pretty astronomical, so LEGO might make a limit on % off or something, Remember BF sales and promos are ever changing, and with deaths at recent BF's not sure how long it will last in some places.

By the way has one heard if this is true that some towns are not permitting Black Fridays? heard a rumour going around some towns are now not letting them happen in fear of the tragic deaths occuring on BF's? but so far I've not seen any actual proof this is true.

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 pm

@JAYMATIK Yeah, I missed out on the last two TRU sales, I am still new at this, I didn't realize that eBayers buy up all the exclusive sets within 15 minutes. Will be quicker next time!

@Asterios In this economy, I wouldn't believe any town would feel it possible to ban commerce.