Toys R Us Black Friday Deal

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
MitchMitchem
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Toys R Us Black Friday Deal

Post by MitchMitchem » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 am

lego the hutt wrote:
MitchMitchem wrote:Time to file another BBB complaint.
That is being completely unreasonable.
Truth in advertising. TRU consistently advertises 'ALL LEGO', but excludes higher priced sets. There were no disclaimers/exclusions on the 'Details' page for this sale.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:43 am

MitchMitchem wrote:
lego the hutt wrote:
Truth in advertising. TRU consistently advertises 'ALL LEGO', but excludes higher priced sets. There were no disclaimers/exclusions on the 'Details' page for this sale.
All the ads I have seen clearly stated in-store only for the BOGO star wars deal. I have not heard of anyone being denied these deals in the flagship stores where the high $ sets are actually sold in stores.....

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:57 am

Oh lord, I'll get the cheese.

YemonYime
I'm New !

Post by YemonYime » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm

FWIW: There is currently a Toys R Us Groupon available that starts at 5pm today (Friday 11/23)

For $10, you get $20 worth of merchandise (in store only).

It's good until midnight 12/24/12, at which time your Groupon would revert its worth to the original $10.

Hey, it's $10 towards bringing down their ridiculous mark ups.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 pm

YemonYime wrote:FWIW: There is currently a Toys R Us Groupon available that starts at 5pm today (Friday 11/23)

It's good until midnight 12/24/12, at which time your Groupon would revert its worth to the original $10.

That would bring it back to every other retailer price including Lego store :lol:

YemonYime
I'm New !

Post by YemonYime » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Well, using it tonight between 5pm and Midnight can turn TRU's 25% off into 35% off if you keep it to just over $100. That's a decent grab. Of course, that is if there is anything left on the shelves after the Black Friday "sucker sheep" have grazed.

MitchMitchem
Citizen
Citizen

Post by MitchMitchem » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 pm

pumbaugh wrote:
MitchMitchem wrote:
lego the hutt wrote:
All the ads I have seen clearly stated in-store only for the BOGO star wars deal. I have not heard of anyone being denied these deals in the flagship stores where the high $ sets are actually sold in stores.....
Buy one get one 50% was also advertised online. I have a screenshot of the details page.

cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cornbread » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:44 pm

YemonYime wrote:FWIW: There is currently a Toys R Us Groupon available that starts at 5pm today (Friday 11/23)

Not valid outside the USA... LAME!

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I picked up the Triceratop Trapper $39 and a Toshiba blue ray player $50 - I used a 15% coupon I got in the mail and a $10 gift card to drop the price down to $70. I might have bought a SW kit had I known about the additional discount - but the notification came too late for me.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Unfortunately you can not stack the Groupon with ANY of their other promotions. Tried with the 20% off coupon and with the $25 off a set over $100 deal. No dice. Good luck using the Groupon before 12/24.

And in another TRU is terrible item, "ALL Lego" does not include Technic or items in the Collector's Corner (i.e. - Modulars, Kingdoms Joust, Medieval Market Village, Tower Bridge, etc). When I tried using just the 20% coupon on the MMV, the coupon would not work. A guy had to come over to "override" the fault. He said something about it possibly being an "FAO" item. I haven't been in TRU since January and will never return.

csun22
I'm New !

Post by csun22 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Filing a complaint with the BBB worked out very well for me the last time TRU advertised BOGO 40% off. I ended up getting 40% off BOTH one SSD and one DS.

Orangechef
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Orangechef » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:45 am

They've got a 10% off $125 or more purchase right now that appears to stack with sets that are $25 off $100. I haven't gone all the way through checkout but the 10% seems to be taken off the pre $25 discount price.

If you missed out on getting the Red Cargo Train (3677) from LEGO then you can get one from TRU for $118.99 (25% off).

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:43 am

brixter wrote:Unfortunately you can not stack the Groupon with ANY of their other promotions. Tried with the 20% off coupon and with the $25 off a set over $100 deal. No dice.
I was able to stack the groupon with a 20% coupon that I had, someone in another thread thinks it will work with a 20% item coupon but not a 20% total transaction coupon. I can't remember which coupon I had. I suspect your problem was more trying to stack the 20% coupon with the $25 off $100 sale. I went for an item under $100, and the groupon and coupon stacked just fine.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 am

Orangechef wrote:They've got a 10% off $125 or more purchase right now that appears to stack with sets that are $25 off $100. I haven't gone all the way through checkout but the 10% seems to be taken off the pre $25 discount price.

If you missed out on getting the Red Cargo Train (3677) from LEGO then you can get one from TRU for $118.99 (25% off).
TRU makes no sense. Earlier this week they wouldn't stack the $25 off $100 with the $30 coupon (final price would have been $105), but now they do stack the $25 off $100 and the 10% sale. So they stack two different sales, but not a sale and a coupon. :roll:

I'm so glad I was able to get the Cargo Train from LEGO. I hate TRU.

YemonYime
I'm New !

Post by YemonYime » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

MitchMitchem wrote:
lego the hutt wrote:
Nothing unreasonable about holding a company to its advertising pledges.

Example: An e-mail ad from TRU (also a flyer) clearly states "Take an EXTRA 10% OFF Everything" (w/purchase of $125+) and "Includes ALL Toys". The asterisk implies restrictions, yet nowhere in the restrictions does it mention the 10% OFF offer not counting towards LEGO. Nor does it mention that it cannot be used with another offer. The use of the word "EXTRA", by common sense, would imply that.

However, defying logic, I had no luck with a $135 order over the phone today. The CS agent simply guessed that the system couldn't discount the items due to some phantom restrictions. It's probably an easier cop-out than trying to defend the definition of the word "EXTRA".

The bottom line is that no one should have to jump through hoops when they're simply trying to get the deal that a company advertises. If the BBB can get TRU's attention on this, then you've done everyone a favor.

johnkelly00
I'm New !

Post by johnkelly00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm not the awesome deal finder that most on this board are but ...

I went over to TRU at 11:00 pm - grabbed a Ninjago Fire Temple - they honored the 90.99 price that is supposedly online only and they let me use my Groupon. If I was smart I would have tried to bump things up to over $125 to get an extra 10% but ... I was too stunned to find the set in the first place that I wasn't thinking clearly.

I'm an amateur, apparently. :/

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06 pm

johnkelly00 wrote:I'm not the awesome deal finder that most on this board are but ...

I went over to TRU at 11:00 pm - grabbed a Ninjago Fire Temple - they honored the 90.99 price that is supposedly online only and they let me use my Groupon. If I was smart I would have tried to bump things up to over $125 to get an extra 10% but ... I was too stunned to find the set in the first place that I wasn't thinking clearly.

I'm an amateur, apparently. :/
Dont be too hard on yourself. If you were in store, almost all sets in the $35 or less range have such a high markup that the "10% off" would have been a wash. Fire Temple for $81 is great deal.

zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zztoy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:08 am

Alot of the folks here that give toysrus a hard time are actually causing them to rethink and make the sales tighter. It's not working, just making it worse. We can no longer get great sales at toysrus, wonder why.... They can sell what they want for the price they want, it's their product and their call.

csun22
I'm New !

Post by csun22 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 pm

zztoy wrote:Alot of the folks here that give toysrus a hard time are actually causing them to rethink and make the sales tighter. It's not working, just making it worse. We can no longer get great sales at toysrus, wonder why.... They can sell what they want for the price they want, it's their product and their call.
Some of us wouldn't give them a hard time at all if they honored the advertised sale. If they want to exclude something, add the language in the promotion so there's no confusion or argument.

zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zztoy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm

They never used to exclude what they do know. Last year I could get just about anything, now it's totally different. Its all GREED. Lol