[USA] ToysRUs LEGO Sale: December 16-22

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[USA] ToysRUs LEGO Sale: December 16-22

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 pm

This week, Toys R Us United States of America will be offering the following LEGO sales.

$25 off when you spend $125 or more on LEGO Star Wars sets
FREE LEGO Ninjago Storage Case when you purchase $50 or more on LEGO construction sets
FREE LEGO Friends Storage Case when you purchase the new Heartlake Pet Salon or Heartlake City Pool

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/usa-toysrus-lego ... ber-16-22/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: [USA] ToysRUs LEGO Sale: December 16-22

Post by Mantisking » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 pm

The week before Christmas and that's what they go with? That's not a sale that's a joke.

zak001
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zak001 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm

With $25 off a $125 SW purchase, you MIGHT be able to get all the new sets for ... MSRP.

Max Power
Knight
Knight

Post by Max Power » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:09 am

I thought there was suppose to be a sale associated with the Mirkwood elf...guess not.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 am

The deal is getting worst. I assume TRUs does not care at all.

At this time of the year, people may not choose to shop online because they are afraid that they may not receive the package before Christmas except shoppers paid for expedited service. So whoever haven't done the toy shopping, they will all rush to TRUs for last minute shopping because TRUs is the first store they usually come up with in their mind.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 am

Well they are in business to make money. For as much as people complain about TRU, they can't be surprised when the sales aren't spectacular.

DadsAFOL
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DadsAFOL » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 am

Last year the week before Christmas, the Lego aisle in TRU was decimated. I went yesterday, and the aisle was overflowing with stacks of unopened cases on top of the shelves and they had a huge second section of Lego in the "seasonal" area. I wonder if their pricing strategy all along has been that as other retailers start to sell out, that TRU is the only place to buy the last minute must-have sets, and buyers have no choice but to pay the inflated prices. If it backfires on them, they will need to have a massive clearance sale.
Build with confidence by buying parts from our BrickLink store at http://www.DadsAFOL.com. Only store with instant shipping and payment options!

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah, it's a good way for a business to make money. Crazy. I don't like it, but no one is forced to buy their toys through TRU either.

bobl
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bobl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:22 am

The TRU near me almost never clearances Legos. What they don't sell, sits on the shelf throughout the year. However, with Walmart cutting back on Legos (in my area anyway) and Target being nearly cleaned out, it looks like TRUs strategy works up here.

Orangechef
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Orangechef » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:32 am

It's too bad Friends Water Scooter Fun (41000) isn't included in the Friends deal - TRU has that marked up to $21.99 online (aka 314% of MSRP).

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=17819486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tensor
Knight
Knight

Post by tensor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Was at TRU today and people were GOBBLING up everything Lego. They were crowded as hell and people were just filling their carts. Btw, the Rancor pit was priced at $65 for about 320 pieces, it was quite popular also (even though the set actually sucks without Jabba's palace along with it). $215 for both at TRU - insane.

It's sad watching people be so ignorant about their prices.

Also, the Mirkwood elves were finally out at $4.99, but no sign of any special or promotion to do with the Hobbit's release.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Both my local TRUs expresses were selling the lego sets very fast. I noticed that the first thing kids came into the store was to hold up the biggest lego box set and then checked their parents'/grown up's' face expression.

marcusloignon
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by marcusloignon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Orangechef wrote:It's too bad Friends Water Scooter Fun (41000) isn't included in the Friends deal - TRU has that marked up to $21.99 online (aka 314% of MSRP).

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=17819486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's only .78 cents per brick :crazy:

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:38 am

People are dumb. I stopped telling people on how they can get better deals just by going to the Lego store or target. They don't want the hassle of going to multiple stores. By the way, less than 1 mile from each other. TRU knows that and they do well. We are the minority.

sonofgun1776
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sonofgun1776 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 pm

slacker wrote:People are dumb. I stopped telling people on how they can get better deals just by going to the Lego store or target. They don't want the hassle of going to multiple stores. By the way, less than 1 mile from each other. TRU knows that and they do well. We are the minority.
Oh well, all the more supply for us addicts. On another off-topic, is it ok for TRU to claim item(s) to be exclusive if other retailers sell them too?

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 pm

slacker wrote:People are dumb. I stopped telling people on how they can get better deals just by going to the Lego store or target. They don't want the hassle of going to multiple stores. By the way, less than 1 mile from each other. TRU knows that and they do well. We are the minority.
Futile effort. They don't care, they're just buying up whatever set they have on the list and call it a day. I don't think they spend regularly enough on Lego to bother price hunting.

Howeesp
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Howeesp » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

People aren't dumb. Just uninformed and probably want to get xmas shopping over with.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 am

janckson wrote:
Futile effort. They don't care, they're just buying up whatever set they have on the list and call it a day. I don't think they spend regularly enough on Lego to bother price hunting.

I'm not impressed with this week's TRU *sales* campaign so I'm skipping TRU this week.

TRU doesn't sell Lego educational products so yesterday I spent my Lego $$ at the Lego education (US) online store to get some solar panels. It's not on sale but then again Lego Education rarely has any sales and they are the only ones selling Lego solar panels in the USA.

Working Parents often have a limited amount of time ( TRU's marketing strategy is counting on this) - so they don't price shop, use coupons, or even time their purchases with a sale. The adult is under pressure to get the toy before such and such time. The parents often barely know what their kid wants or even has taken the time to know where to get it - TRU is the default toy store (it's like going to McDonald's to eat if you don't have the foggiest idea where to go to eat and McDonald's prices are within the day's price point). Most adults at TRU are more focused on the household general ledger/budget and how much can they allocate for this-or-that rather than on maximizing their toy buying power. Once in TRU, kids often focused on how to *game* their parents to optimize their toy-getting opportunity.
I see this *gaming* scenario play out over and over again when I'm at TRU. I'm pretty sure this marketing profile is in the TRU retail training *Playbook.*

When the local retailer (like TRU) have really horrible Lego *sales/deals* - I prefer just to hike over to the local Lego store and do the Pick an Brick thingy. Pick up some plates, tiles, slopes, bowed/curved, clear pieces, and maybe some special pieces like a gear or articulated links. I don't have to build anything - I can be just as happy just sorting Legos.

exciter1
Knight
Knight

Post by exciter1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I was fortunate enough today to pick up the Lego City Mining Truck (4202) during the TRU doorbuster sale. It was only $20.66 out the door. I've been wanting to get another one of these anyway.

legodork
Peasant
Peasant

Post by legodork » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 am

Howeesp wrote:
People aren't dumb. Just uninformed and probably want to get xmas shopping over with.
While I have no doubt that there are people who don't know that they can usually find better LEGO bargains elsewhere, I think plenty of smart and informed individuals make a judgment call that it is not worth their time and effort to find the best LEGO bargain, a principal that can be applied to just about everything we do with our money and time.