[USA] Walmart Clearance Sale

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [USA] Walmart Clearance Sale

Post by earl9371 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 pm

I hit a number of WM's in the Louisville KY area tonight, and was blown away - not by the deals, but by what seemed like the huge number of $75+ sets that had been tampered with. Someone uneducated never would have caught it, but it was incredibly easy to see how the seals had been removed and replaced. In some stores it literally seemed like every set above this price point had been monkeyed with. I picked up one large SW set that felt half as heavy as it should have. What kills me with this practice are the kids who opened their presents on Christmas only to find what was supposed to be in the box was far from reality. I once had this happen to me when I gave a nephew a Brio-type Polar Express train - he was ecstatic when he unwrapped it, but when we opened the box and all the trains had been taken he was crushed and started crying. I'm sure Lego tracks this (and would never release it), but since they'll make good on any parts or minifigs reported missing it'd be fascinating to know if some retailers have larger problems with this than others. I've never seen anything in Lego aisles like what I witnessed tonight. Very sad.

bobl
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bobl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm

No one seems to have mentioned this set yet, but I found the Avengers QUinjet for $50 plus tax in Milford CT (at least I think it was Milford...I stopped in while driving back up rt95 from NYC). I bought 2. They had at least 4 more. ALso saw Ghost Train (54), Ewok Attack(12), and a couple others that were plentiful, but I bought 1 of each.

beartrapper25
Knight
Knight

Post by beartrapper25 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:48 pm

IMHO a Millennium Falcon at $99 is a steal. I've looked everywhere including every Walmart near any relatives I have who are able to drive.

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:02 pm

earl9371 wrote:I hit a number of WM's in the Louisville KY area tonight, and was blown away - not by the deals, but by what seemed like the huge number of $75+ sets that had been tampered with. Someone uneducated never would have caught it, but it was incredibly easy to see how the seals had been removed and replaced. In some stores it literally seemed like every set above this price point had been monkeyed with. I picked up one large SW set that felt half as heavy as it should have. What kills me with this practice are the kids who opened their presents on Christmas only to find what was supposed to be in the box was far from reality. I once had this happen to me when I gave a nephew a Brio-type Polar Express train - he was ecstatic when he unwrapped it, but when we opened the box and all the trains had been taken he was crushed and started crying. I'm sure Lego tracks this (and would never release it), but since they'll make good on any parts or minifigs reported missing it'd be fascinating to know if some retailers have larger problems with this than others. I've never seen anything in Lego aisles like what I witnessed tonight. Very sad.
Yea it sucks. I stumbled across 4 republic frigates at $50 each the other day but 3 of them were retaped. -_-

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 pm

I ran into a bunch of Dino HQ sets that were opened/resealed. I hate how Lego uses the tape seals on super glossy print cardboard, it doesn't hold very well at all...everyone should make sure that the seals are perfect before buying.

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Funny to see the Frigate, and Dino Hq, and the Falcon, and TAMPERING all mentioned in the same thread.

Last Spring I was lucky enough to find the Frigate and Falcon on clearance for $50 each at a Walmart. Easily one of the best finds I've had. The boxes were completely f-ed. Took them to the CS desk and asked if I could check the contents. Everything looked fine and it can be kind of a hassle not knowing how many bags should be there etc. but worth the effort so I bought them. When I got home I checked things more thoroughly. The Falcon checked out fine, but bag one of the Frigate had a tiny tear through which someone had gone in and taken the rare Jedi mini-figs, and replaced the named clone troopers with run of the mill troopers. Yoda was still there. Lego was able to hook us up but one of the helmets was not available anymore.
Ran into a similar Dino HQ box during this sale that was fully opened and crushed. Checked to make sure everything was there with a CSR and we were good. It was the only one we had come across. Bottom-line, if you aren't reselling it pays to look through the unsealed/damaged boxes sometimes.
Last edited by intromission on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exciter1
Knight
Knight

Post by exciter1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

One last stop tonight at a pretty cleaned out Wal-Mart yielded:

Ninjago Rattlecopter (9443) - $14.50 reg. $29.97
Ninjago Fangpyre Mech (9455) - $12.00 reg. $24.97
Alien Mothership (7065) - $29.50 reg. $59.97
City Recycling Truck (4206) - $14.50 reg. $29.97

Francfurters
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Francfurters » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Bought the Lego TIE Fighter,Star Destroyer and MMT mini polybags at Walmart for $1.50 and bought 2 of each. I found the behind boxes so this tells me that some kid tried to hide them.

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:01 pm

You showed him! :clap: :lol:

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm

intromission wrote:Funny to see the Frigate, and Dino Hq, and the Falcon, and TAMPERING all mentioned in the same thread.

Last Spring I was lucky enough to find the Frigate and Falcon on clearance for $50 each at a Walmart. Easily one of the best finds I've had. The boxes were completely f-ed. Took them to the CS desk and asked if I could check the contents. Everything looked fine and it can be kind of a hassle not knowing how many bags should be there etc. but worth the effort so I bought them. When I got home I check things more thoroughly. The Falcon checked out fine, but bag one of the Frigate had a tiny tear through which someone had gone in and taken the rare Jedi mini-figs, and replaced the named clone troopers with run of the mill troopers. Yoda was still there. Lego was able to hook us up but one of helmets was not available anymore.
Ran into a similar Dino HQ box during this sale that was fully opened and crushed. Checked to make sure everything was there with a CSR and we were good. It was the only one we had come across. Bottom-line, if you aren't reselling it pays to look through the unsealed/damaged boxes sometimes.
There was a problem quite similar to this here in AZ a few months back. The boxes were being opened along the seam, so the tape seals were perfect. The thief was removing the valuable parts and then replacing them with other items to make up the weight or mix in non-valuable bags from other sets. They would then re-glue the seam of the box.

This was only at Wal Marts throughout the Phoenix area. We are lucky to know a local Wal Mart GM, so we got it up the chain after it happened a few times.

King

GORF
I'm New !

Post by GORF » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 pm

I feel super lucky tonight! I got a Black Pearl for $49.50!!! :D
I was also able to grab an Avengers Quinjet for $49.00 and an Alien Mothership for $29.50!
I had to visit 3 different Walmarts and yet the boxes being a bit smashed the seals still look good. I'm so happy to find these after missing all the other sales and the joke of a sale Lego just had. Thanks for the reports everyone, it inspired me to search these out!

slisa51
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by slisa51 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:23 am

King wrote:
intromission wrote:Funny to see the Frigate, and Dino Hq, and the Falcon, and TAMPERING all mentioned in the same thread.

Last Spring I was lucky enough to find the Frigate and Falcon on clearance for $50 each at a Walmart. Easily one of the best finds I've had. The boxes were completely f-ed. Took them to the CS desk and asked if I could check the contents. Everything looked fine and it can be kind of a hassle not knowing how many bags should be there etc. but worth the effort so I bought them. When I got home I check things more thoroughly. The Falcon checked out fine, but bag one of the Frigate had a tiny tear through which someone had gone in and taken the rare Jedi mini-figs, and replaced the named clone troopers with run of the mill troopers. Yoda was still there. Lego was able to hook us up but one of helmets was not available anymore.
There was a problem quite similar to this here in AZ a few months back. The boxes were being opened along the seam, so the tape seals were perfect. The thief was removing the valuable parts and then replacing them with other items to make up the weight or mix in non-valuable bags from other sets. They would then re-glue the seam of the box.

This was only at Wal Marts throughout the Phoenix area. We are lucky to know a local Wal Mart GM, so we got it up the chain after it happened a few times.

King
Same problem here. Tons of large sets tampered with. Lego needs to start making there boxes with the USPS/FED EX tare strip so you can see if it has been opened. I asked a walmart manager yesterday if I could open the 2 tampered with black pearls to check them and he allowed it. One of them had bag 1 missing with all the figures.

zskid00
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by zskid00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

I saw a Millenium Falcon for $99, but the seals looked like they had been tampered with. I'm not taking that chance so I left it on the shelf.

natespizer
I'm New !

Post by natespizer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:48 am

I hit up 3 walmarts in my area. (Central Valley - California)

Where they had stock i saw similar deals- Picked up 1 each:
Alien Mother ship : $14
t6 Shuttle : $20
ghost train : $54
T-Rex Hunter: $34.50
Sith infiltrator 27.48
bounty hunter 17.68
Minifig series 8 $1

Where i think i got the extra good deal was two sets that had been returned and still looks ok
6860 Batcave for 35 (50% from toy manager)
and Vampire Castle for 50 (also 50% off from toy manager)
The castle wasn't in the system anymore, took quite a bit of coaxing but I finally got him to write it up.

Target 30% off
Weather top
unexpected gathering

intromission
Knight
Knight

Post by intromission » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 am

As I said folks, if you are interested in a set to build it and not to resell, it is worth asking the store if you can check it. It isn't hard to find out how many bags are in a set.

I just wanted to share one those scenarios we all face at some point. Only one store 40 minutes away showed Limited Stock on Dino Tower Takedown (the one we are missing). Called last night and was told no they didn't have it by someone in a rush to get off the phone. Called again this morning. "We have one, no we can't reserve it." Drove down. Couldn't find it. Lady I spoke to from toy department: "This woman just came in and bought like 20 LEGO." Thanks guys. That was the last one in our area for Walmart. :(

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:27 am

intromission wrote:As I said folks, if you are interested in a set to build it and not to resell, it is worth asking the store if you can check it. It isn't hard to find out how many bags are in a set.

I just wanted to share one those scenarios we all face at some point. Only one store 40 minutes away showed Limited Stock on Dino Tower Takedown (the one we are missing). Called last night and was told no they didn't have it by someone in a rush to get off the phone. Called again this morning. "We have one, no we can't reserve it." Drove down. Couldn't find it. Lady I spoke to from toy department: "This woman just came in and bought like 20 LEGO." Thanks guys. That was the last one in our area for Walmart. :(
target is also clearancing dino,30-50%

ignore my posts
I'm New !

Post by ignore my posts » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 am

Snagged another 6 Black Pearls. The store here still has dozens of Frigates for $49 and Falcons for $99. Can't bring myself to spend that on falcons to resell.

beartrapper25
Knight
Knight

Post by beartrapper25 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 am

Dangit! I soooo wish I could snag a $100 Falcon. :cry:

just2good
Knight
Knight

Post by just2good » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 am

WOAH! My local Walmart actually had some good stuff!
I got:
Six Series 8 packs for $1 each
30181 Creator Helicopter Polybag for $1.50
They also had the City polys for $1.50, and the first wave of Friends $10 for $7. Gonna hit up some more!

Soccerd45
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Soccerd45 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Not sure if anyone cares about duplo, but I found the marketplace, first fire station, first zoo all for 50% off.