Did everyone do OK during Irene?

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

Did everyone do OK during Irene?

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Those on the east coast, is everyone doing ok after Irene? Anyone from Vermont on here? Things look pretty bad in VT, I hope all TnB members are safe.

We didn't have as much rain as I thought we might. I was worried about our Lego down in the basement because our basement has taken water in the past (have sump pumps BUT if the power went out.....)

Anyway I'm happy to report that all our Lego (and my house and family) are safe. :-)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Did everyone do OK during Irene?

Post by vynsane » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 am

We retained power, though some people in our town were out for a day or two. We had to augment the sump pump by hand at the worst of it late Sunday morning - the ground was so saturated that the water coming in was just too much for the sump pump to handle alone. We bought a hand pump the day before just in case - we lost power for three days during that blizzard last winter and I wasn't going to bail out another 500 gallons of water (one 5 gallon spackle bucket at a time) into the first floor bathroom toilet (which now doesn't exist, so I'd have to go to the kitchen sink).

A lot of people I know on Long Island were out for four or more days - or even still haven't gotten power back!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 am

My sister flew back to Boston just before the storm hit. Funny timing, she booked her flight months in advance. She lost power in Franklin.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:57 pm

We were lucky that we didn't lose power, I know people that were out for 36 hours or more (some still don't have power!). We did lose cable and internet for about 8 hours, which I guess one can live with out, partially due to DVDs players. ;-)

A flooded basement is NO fun, we went through that in March 2010. :evil:

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 pm

We came through okay. Had a couple of power flickers and then lost power for about ten seconds. We dodged a bullet though as there were people up and down the street who had tree limbs fall on the power lines leading to their houses. In fact, a small section of our street -- right in front of our house -- was blocked off for part of the day after Irene passed through.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 pm

You guys are funny. We lost power down here last Sunday in the early morning. Three trees fell-one for power, one for phone, and one for cable. Each line was severed by a different tree. Pretty funny huh? Only one was big enough to scrape the house-the last couple of inches pulled the screen on our bedroom window off. I slept right through it.

All streets leading to town had giant trees across them. I ended up having to go into the next town and double back for most of the week to go to work. Filled up water jugs all week so we could flush the toilet. What a pain. To top it all off- I stank for most of the week. :( :P

I just got cable turned on yesterday-So here I am back online, 7 days without power and 9 days without internet. I got a lot of reading done...

Jared