Off-Topic Deal: Video Game Deals on Black Friday

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Off-Topic Deal: Video Game Deals on Black Friday

Post by Zeya » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:37 pm

I was just perusing to see if there are Black Friday deals for any new video games, and sure enough there are.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/sho ... p?t=307707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread at another forum has the best summary of what's available today. Although I know at this point it's like 7:30pm on the east coast. Keep in mind there may be more deals coming up for Cyber Monday, who knows.

I'm really looking at Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in particular. I played a tiny bit of the previous games Morrowind and Oblivion, but it sounds like they've improved the gameplay for the better with Skyrim. It's getting reviews in the 96-100% range from critics, so it should be solid at least. Amazon has it today (Black Friday) for $53 (normal MSRP is $60), and your potential no-sales-tax with Amazon of course.

Was also looking into the new Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I played the previous AC games (1,2 and Brotherhood) but the gameplay was starting to really feel repetitive at this point. And reading reviews, it looks like this new one has a really muddy storyline and some other flaws, and the new feature sounds kind of lame. Getting reviews in the mid-upper 80s. I think I'll pass on this one or maybe pick it up used/discounted some time down the road.

I also spy the new Batman Arkham City. I was really enjoying Arkham Asylum but hit a rough patch and put the game down. I really should have powered through that, kind of regret it. I hear good things about the new one though.

Also want to give a shout out for Red Dead Redemption. Talking with some friends, it seems like I enjoyed this game more than other people did. It's true that it's got some of that similar formula that all Rockstar games have (travel around the map to the next big letter and do a quest etc), but I found this one to have a fun theme and storyline. I played it to the very end, which is more than I can say for nearly all the GTA games and L.A. Noire which I can't quite find the energy to finish. Anyway, shouts out to Red Dead Redemption.

I see Gears of War 3 deals too. Played through that one recently. If you liked 1 and 2 you'll like number 3 as well. It was a bit less gimmicky than number 2 was. (No inside of a giant worm sequence, lol.)