DSLR For Starters

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
Legobrandon
Count
Count

DSLR For Starters

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello fellow Toys N Bricks members, I am here to ask you all one simple question. And that is, what is a good, moderately priced DSLR camera for starters? I'm sure some of you here on the forums are camera experts and I would love to get some opinions from all of you. I need an affordable, yet functional DSLR that I could use for everyday shooting. I have been using point-and-shoot digital cameras for some time now, and I think it is time for a change. Thanks! :-D

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: DSLR For Starters

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 am

Two months ago, I bought a Fujifilm HS20, which is an entry level for DSLR. I have been doing some research and finally pulled trigger on this. I was extremely amazed with how good the pic quality was, my eyeball was almost popped out when I viewed the photos at my computer.

In fact, this camera is not exactly a DSLR; however, it allows me taking photo either manually or automatically. Thus, I could treat this camera as a DSLR when I take photo manually. Picture is super clear and excellent at indoor/outdoor/night by using auto mode (I am still learning to use the manual mode). If you may need to print the photo out, this camera is one of the best choice. Besides, the major feature of this camera is "super zoom". User could take photo for far object without carrying extra lens like DSLR. Being said that, the picture quality is definitely not as good as DSLR equipped with $2000 lens; however, it doesn't mean HS20 has poor performance on it. Well, let's say it in this way, we need to adjust our expectation accordingly.

On the other hand, the drawback of this camera is that it doesn't perform well when I switch it to "video camera" mode.

MSRP is $400 in Canada, lower than U.S.A and some Asian countries. Future shop currently offers $50 off from MSRP (I got 10% off only), and this is the best price I have ever seen. Spending $370 for this camera, I have no complain at all. I get about the same result as using DSLR.

My suggestion is to take it home and try it for 14 days. You must have to try it and figure out if it fits your needs. Return it if you don't like it.
Last edited by legohunter on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:03 am

I would suggest getting a mirrorless dslr like Sony. It's smaller and more advanced. The Nikons and Canons are going obsolete which is why the entry classes are on sale so frequently these days. You can get a T3i for like $500 body only easily.

Most users in Japan have already moved to mirrorless versions. The Sony model came up during BF sale as a lightning deal.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:31 am

I've been very happy with my Nikon D3100. It's a conventional dSLR. here are some pros/cons for deciding whether to go with a true dSLR or mirrorless.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 am

What kind of photography do you plan on doing? Are you interested in image quaility? Shooting sports? Low light situations? Do you like using an optical view finder? How willing are you to carry a bag of camera and lens around? Do you need friendly user modes or prefer to set everything yourself? Do you like post processing your photos?

If you're going the route of interchangeable lens cameras like DSLRs and mirrorlesses, you should take in account of the lens selection and the entire system. Chances are you'll be buying a number of expensive lenses and keeping them while upgrading the camera body over the years.

I am not sure if entry DSLRs will go obsolete. Maybe not as many sales in the future. I was a martial arts tournament and there were many more parents with entry level DSLRs this year than last year. I bought an entry Canon Rebel XT 6 years ago just to shoot my kids who were way too fast for my P&S. Some times it was a chore carrying the camera bag and kids around. Now that they're older and into sports, I'm still lugging my DSLR bag around.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:10 pm

I bought a Canon XSi 2 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. I do want to upgrade to a T3i for the video recording though. Keep in mind that it is a really expensive hobby once you get into it.

Here's a great website where you can read reviews on all kinds of cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:32 pm

In front of my rambling post: can anyone recommend online vendors for buying cameras and lenses? Ones with good reputation and low prices?

I'm looking to get into photography with a DSLR, so I've been reading up and doing research. I'm new to all this.

I was recently looking into finding a deal. The best packages I found were at Costco. I was looking at the Nikon d3100, Nikon d5100, or Canon Rebel T3i. (Those seem like the most widely available/major DSLRs at least for the consumer market). Costco had all 3 of those in a package where you get the body, an 18-55 lens, and a 55-200 lens, and a bag (and some book/cd or something) for $750. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1

That seems like a pretty sweet deal for what you get. I checked Best Lie and Target, and the same model with just one lens (18-55) was about that much. Although I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to buy a body only and then pony up cash for a higher quality lens to start off with. What do you guys think?

Biggest concern for me is definitely money. Otherwise I would jump right in. It's something like $600-800 to start off with, and then any lens you're going to buy will run you at least $200 and the sky's the limit there depending on what you want. Just can't afford that hobby right now I'm afraid. The good news is that digital camera technology can only get better, so there's a silver lining at least.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm

B&H Camera in New York City is highly regarded as one of the best camera stores, like, ever.

The bundle with the two lenses sounds pretty good. The price isn't that far off from other vendors for the same items, though. B&H, for example, has the D3100 with the 18-55 for $596.95 (touting a $50 "instant savings") and the 55-200 (separately) for $146.95 (after $100 "instant savings") which makes it basically the same deal as the CostCo bundle. Seems like Nikon may be offering this incentive pricing across the board, or B&H is just trying to remain competitive. Basically is just comes down to who has cheaper shipping. Amazon probably has the same deals going on right now, which would most likely offer free shipping.

As for the 'camera hobby', it's only as expensive as you want it to be. I got the D3100 with the 18/55 and have been perfectly happy with it. I may spring for the 55/200 lens now that I see it's only $150, if I get a few bucks for Christmas and my birthday, as I also received a $50 Amazon gift card in a raffle at my job's holiday party this past Friday.

Just know that it will be more expensive to jump brands, as your lenses will be useless - so pick one and go with it. FWIW, all my photog friends swear by Nikon.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 pm

You can check out B&H Photo for prices. I buy lens from them as they can be cheaper than Canada even with the taxes, duty and shipping costs. I bought my new body in Canada since it was cheaper than the States. Weird.

If you know what kind of lens you need then buy the body only. If you're starting out, the kit lens is a good starting point to figure out what focal lengths you normally shoot at. A bit better than spending a lot of money on the expensive nice lens and finding out it is not suited to the photography you like doing. The newer version of Canon 18-55mm lens is much better than the non-IS one back from 2006.

Not sure which is the more expensive hobby at times - Lego or photography. :)

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:27 pm

dr_spock wrote:Not sure which is the more expensive hobby at times - Lego or photography. :)
They are both equally expensive. :lol:

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:58 pm

I will also vouch for B&H. I've bought 3 DSLR's from them dating back to around 2005 and never had any issues or hard sale tactics.

This is cliche and applies to everything but especially to less known camera retailers - if the price is too good to be true then stay clear! They will sell you the body cheap and then call and tell you the battery(or any other accessory normally included) costs $100 and all kinds of shady shenanigans. Not very long ago most photo magazines allowed these con artists to advertise extensively but I think they have cracked down on it.

examples:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Hello fellow Toys N Bricks members, I am here to ask you all one simple question. And that is, what is a good, moderately priced DSLR camera for starters?
Since you don't have an investment in any system yet I'd say your best bet is to go hold all the different entry level cameras at the store(somewhere with more selection than your average big box retailer) and see what you find most comfortable and natural to your own style. 1 minute with it in your hand is worth countless hours comparing and reviewing online and everyones opinion as to what "feels right" usually varies wildly. As a general "rule" the camera body is a small investment compared to what you will eventually spend on lenses if you end up getting into it but you can also buy one or two entry level lenses and be quite happy with the results because cameras are incredible these days :-)

Canon and Nikon are always a good starting point but don't exclude Pentax Olympus and Sony. Most entry level dslr's are so similar in image quality these days that how it feels in your hand and up to your eye usually is the deciding factor unless you were looking for certain specific features which even then most are comparable due to the highly competitive market. One good question to ask yourself is do you want to shoot in JPG have the images ready to show or do you prefer to shoot in raw and tinker around in lightroom or aperture. Certain models have what's generally accepted as better default JPG settings out of the box.

I personally, and cameras are a very personal choice and are known to start many a heated discussion heheh, would avoid the A3xx and 4xx series from Sony(not including the SLT's). Besides that you really can't go wrong!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 pm

With most models you can customize your JPG output through menu options like Picture Styles or parameter settings. I never really got into post processing. I'd rather get it right first time around and use my free time to build Lego. :-)
Legobrandon wrote:
dr_spock wrote:Not sure which is the more expensive hobby at times - Lego or photography. :)
They are both equally expensive. :lol:
I would like to get a Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM lens but then there will be no new Lego for a year or two. Life is hard. :-)

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm

This thread is half a year old, I know. But I don't think anyone will mind.

I've spend quite a bit of time this past week reading up on DSLR cameras. Mostly I've been reading blog articles and tips for beginners and such. I've also read pretty much the entire Nikon d3100 manual.

I had been checking http://nikonrumors.com/prices/ for the past few months because I've decided to start with an entry-level body. I saw that it said the d3100 was released a while back now, and was due for an upgrade. Well just this past week they've started selling the d3200, which is the one I think I'm going to buy. It's pretty much out of stock right now (mostly just not yet in stock most places). I found a nice bundle on Adorama that includes a bag, memory card, and filters as extras, in addition to the body and kit lens and usual stuff.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD3200KA.html

I'm also going to get this $200 35mm f1.8 prime lens. This seems to be the lens type that everyone recommends, or a 50mm. But since the 3200 has a cropped sensor and not a full frame sensor like the FX bodies, it seems a 35mm becomes like what a 50mm would be like on a full frame body.
http://www.adorama.com/NK3518U.html

I think that will get me off to a good start. That should cost me right about $900 USD, assuming Adorama doesn't charge sales tax (I think they only have a presence in NY, right?). I'd like to place my order some time soon, but we just took a short vacation and the pocketbook is tapped out... plus the 3200 isn't widely available right today and might take a couple-few weeks.

Ideally, I would like to get an entry-level FX (full-frame) body to start, but it seems like the cheapest one is somewhere in the $1000-2k+ range, and I've set myself a budget. Probably best to not get too carried away right off the bat.

What do you guys think? Also, I've been wondering about macro photography, mostly for MOCs. I think the 35mm lens would be able to do an okay job capturing MOCs on a table scale, right? I don't think I would need a fancier macro lens, unless I want to start getting really small and capturing dust particles on the tops of Lego studs, lol.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Taking pictures of Lego is more along the lines of product photography. An entry level DSLR camera is fine for the type of work. I think the key is having good lighting and a tripod.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 am

I really love my Pentax k-x but I do at times wish I went with canon or nikon, mainly because they are more common and there is much more widely available high quality inexpensive glass. Recently I have been lusting after these mirrorless compact dslrs like the Sony NEX series and the Nikon J1 which are sexy sexy cameras.

Also Legobrandon did you ever decide on a camera?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Tue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm

@ Zeya: 3200 with the 35 1.8 sounds nice! Only thing to remember with the entry level Nikon dslrs is that they have no lens focus drive in the body so you have to manually focus with any older lenses that do not have a focus motor in the lens itself. Most people don't have an issue with it now that Nikon has released more entry level lenses with the motor in the lens but it's good to be aware of if planning on picking up some older used lenses on the cheap.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue May 15, 2012 5:09 pm

peanut wrote:@ Zeya: 3200 with the 35 1.8 sounds nice! Only thing to remember with the entry level Nikon dslrs is that they have no lens focus drive in the body so you have to manually focus with any older lenses that do not have a focus motor in the lens itself. Most people don't have an issue with it now that Nikon has released more entry level lenses with the motor in the lens but it's good to be aware of if planning on picking up some older used lenses on the cheap.
Good point. But I think that kind of is a moot point for me, due to the fact that I've set a certain budget (around $1000 or so), and at that price there aren't any Nikon bodies with an internal motor. I think the d90 does, but that body is aging. I figure that for the features I'm missing out on, they might be fixed in future years when I upgrade.

By the way, I've done some more research, and I think I'm going to go with the d5100 instead of the d3200. People really like the performance of the 5100 - it has the same sensor and processing as the d7000, which is considered to be more of a semi-pro model. I'll hopefully be pulling the trigger on it after this next paycheck, because I should be having some extra money coming. I found that Costco has a nice bundle on the 5100 that includes the 18-55mm kit lens, but also a 55-300mm. Similar bundles elsewhere only have a 55-200mm instead.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =C&topnav=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed May 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Not a bad bundle. Have you tried it out at the store?

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Wed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm

dr_spock wrote:Not a bad bundle. Have you tried it out at the store?
Yeah I went to Target a couple times to try it out. They tend to have the entry-level models on display at Target for you to try out. I like the way the Nikons feel in my hand, more than the Canons. They just feel more sturdy and less plasticky. Then again it's hard to judge certain aspects because they have the things tethered down in a certain way.

I think Costco also has floor models like that as well (and even another one on display behind plexiglass, iirc).