Help Give Advice on Selling Vintage Toys?

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Help Give Advice on Selling Vintage Toys?

Post by Zeya » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I've got a few bins full of my childhood toys that I'd like to sell. And I have quite a bit of it. Here's what I have to sell:
He-Man (Masters of the Universe)
Ghostbusters
Battle Beasts
Dino Riders
Bone Age
Micro Machines

I'd like advice on selling these. Is there anything similar to Bricklink for this sort of stuff? Do people even go crazy over them the way they do about Lego minifigs? Should I sell them in big bulk lots?

I took a look through eBay just now, and I don't see a ton of bids on the He-Man stuff. But then I know how it works out... some figures will be ultra rare and maybe go for 30 bucks, and others will be readily available for 5 bucks. Hence my wondering about a "Bricklink" for these things.

My inclination is just to set up a bulk lot, take good photos and flickr gallery them, set the initial bid at .99 and hope they get bid up to what they're worth.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Help Give Advice on Selling Vintage Toys?

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 am

what Battle Beasts do you have?
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lordharrier » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 am

Zeya wrote:I've got a few bins full of my childhood toys that I'd like to sell. And I have quite a bit of it. Here's what I have to sell:
He-Man (Masters of the Universe)
Ghostbusters
Battle Beasts
Dino Riders
Bone Age
Micro Machines

I'd like advice on selling these. Is there anything similar to Bricklink for this sort of stuff? Do people even go crazy over them the way they do about Lego minifigs? Should I sell them in big bulk lots?

I took a look through eBay just now, and I don't see a ton of bids on the He-Man stuff. But then I know how it works out... some figures will be ultra rare and maybe go for 30 bucks, and others will be readily available for 5 bucks. Hence my wondering about a "Bricklink" for these things.

My inclination is just to set up a bulk lot, take good photos and flickr gallery them, set the initial bid at .99 and hope they get bid up to what they're worth.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" .. this is true of everything you want to list. I wouldn't list it as a bulk deal and start from 99cents. I'd research a bit.. sites like collectiondx.com might be a good start.. figure out first exactly what you have. For example ..what series Micro Machines are you selling .. if its Star Trek for example ..watch Ebay to see what other auctions are going for.

When I sold old toys on Ebay I didn't bother with reserve or a buynow, with a reserve you are just wasting a potential bidder's time and with buynow you can potentially be screwing yourself unless you want a quick sale. I'd start it at a reasonable price for the least that I wanted to get out of it.. so if its a lot of Galoob stuff I'd start it at ..lets say 20$ for 10 minis. You are basically saying I want 2$ per mini, might be reasonable.. might not.. but its better than listing for 99cents and losing some potential money.

I remember listing a lot of Armored Core gashapon once asking for I think 50$ for 12 loose figures that cost about 1 yen each. It ended up going for more than 150$ .. I was shocked.

Research!
My Dark Age was 41 years.. weep for me.

My Flickr: There isn't much but I have a lot of favorites!

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am

The Battle Beasts alone would need some research. If you have the vehicles/playsets and figures in good condition you're looking at a nice sum of money.

Everything you listed I had one or a few of when I was a kid. I always buy with the intent to play. Collectors pay top dollar to display. I don't know of any good services to list your toys other than ebay. I would be interested in your Dino Riders for my son - just send me a PM with some details (list of what you have and price).

Have fun.
Jared

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot to mention is that none of these things have any sort of cardboard box or packaging. And we all know that stuff's worth more with boxes of some sort, preferably MISB of course.

Thanks lordharrier. The things I really need to decide are like this:
1. Where to even go for a "bricklink" for, say, Battle Beasts.
2. Or forums to ask the experts. I only know about Lego. I could at least take a quick snap of the figures laid out and say "please shout out if anything here is like a holy grail or something".
3. Dozens of figures and little weapons scattered in a bucket. Worth my time to "part them together"? If each fig is only worth a buck or two, maybe not worth my time and I can sell in a big batch.
4. Worth my time to photo, list, package, ship individually (many small eBay lots)?

I think it'll be worth it to at least part them together as best I can. (Well, MicroMachines might get a little too insane to part together. We'll see.)
legogod wrote:The Battle Beasts alone would need some research. If you have the vehicles/playsets and figures in good condition you're looking at a nice sum of money.

Everything you listed I had one or a few of when I was a kid. I always buy with the intent to play. Collectors pay top dollar to display. I don't know of any good services to list your toys other than ebay. I would be interested in your Dino Riders for my son - just send me a PM with some details (list of what you have and price).

Have fun.
Jared
Well, keep in mind that the Dino Riders are from something like 1992, iirc. They're vintage toys, and probably (hopefully) worth more to nostalgic collectors than you might be willing to pay. I know I saw some similar dinosaurs + lasers toys at Target a few months back. Made me do a double-take but they weren't branded with same name as my childhood toys (Dino Riders).

I'll take a look at ebay for the Battle Beasts. I remember in high school (around 2000) that my friend said they were worth money to collectors then, so hopefully that's still the case. I've got tons of the things.j

Thanks.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm

check this for Battle Beasts.

http://www.littlerubberguides.com/battl ... /index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm

ncbarrett wrote:check this for Battle Beasts.

http://www.littlerubberguides.com/battl ... /index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's great. Thank you so much.

Looks like each guy is worth around 4 bucks. Not too shabby. The most valuable item I have from Battle Beasts is this, which goes for 20-50 bucks I guess:
http://www.littlerubberguides.com/battl ... m?item=205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Wow, $3-$5 for each is not bad at all. I had a ton of these guys when I was a kid!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:57 am

looks like there will be a new line called Beast Saga being released this fall.
Looks like to be figures similar to Battle Beasts, this might increase the value of them, so maybe hold on to them for a bit.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am

i found some vintage stuff of my own this weekend.

it includes several Micro Machine Star Wars Action Fleet ships from '96, including the Death Star playset.
Some of them are transparent.

Also an alien ship from Independence Day.

Amazing what you find in your parents garage.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am

Update time. I got around to going through all the He Man / MotU stuff (That's Masters of the Universe, lol). I snapped a bunch of pics and I'm going to head over to heman.org in a little bit to post on their forum for more specific advice they may have. You know, if they can spot anything especially desirable.

I actually spent a lot of time this weekend going through the guide they have there and matching up all the weapons with all the guys they go with, etc. Yikes. But it was pretty fun too. Anyway, here are some pics. I also made a spreadsheet listing each thing, which should help me when I go to make ebay listings and such.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeya/sets/ ... 934606300/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;