ToysRUs Canada 2014 Holiday Book LEGO Sale: Airmiles

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

ToysRUs Canada 2014 Holiday Book LEGO Sale: Airmiles

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 pm

The Toys R Us Canada Holiday Toy Book is now out. Sale runs from November 7-20, 2014. Like previous years, they have lots of LEGO advertised. However, it seems like there aren't really any sales this year except for LEGO Video Games. Instead of the usual 20% off sales, Toys R Us is now going with Air Miles just like what happened during Bricktober. Would this be the end of LEGO sales at Toys R Us now?

-10x more Air Miles when you spend $30 or more on SELECT LEGO City, Technic, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Super Heroes, Star Wars and Basics Building sets
-10x more Air Miles when you spend $30 or more on ANY LEGO Friends, Movie, Agents or Chima Building sets
-FREE LEGO Movie Watch when you spend $75 or more on any LEGO Building sets
-FREE LEGO Joker Minifigure Keychain with purchase of LEGO Batman 3 Beyond Gotham Video Game
-$10 off ALL LEGO Video Games (excluding Batman 3)

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/toysrus-canada-2 ... -airmiles/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

joelones
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: ToysRUs Canada 2014 Holiday Book LEGO Sale: Airmiles

Post by joelones » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:50 am

First Bricktober, now this. From a business perspective, I'm trying to understand this move.

Are they betting that the supposed LEGO shortage would drive more customers into their stores thus justifying the increase in price (or lack of discounts in this case)? Supply and demand thing...

Or, from what I understand, LEGO and bikes are TRU's big movers. As bikes are a sessional thing (here in Canada) and the Xmas season is big for LEGO, is their balance sheet that bad that they don't want have sales eat into their margins?
Last edited by joelones on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:22 am

My theory is that this is a result of the Lego shortage we heard about earlier this year. Supply and demand means that they don't need to put it on sale to see it move. I mean its not just TRU. Walmart and Target also put out their Christmas wish books this week, and while Target has a couple of small discounts, Walmart has none.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:23 am

Toys 'R' Us is now dead to me. I'm sure they can sell to the masses without any sales, but sales are the only reason any AFOL would ever shop there, and this recent move is just giving us all the big middle finger.

CLMF Bricks
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CLMF Bricks » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Sad to see all sales replaced with Air Miles. I would probably buy my Lego from other stores like Target.
And the only reason why I would buy from TRU is the convenience (location) or because they have polybags.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:48 pm

My manager has worked at TRU for over two decades and she is like "This is the worst Big Book I have ever seen, there are no sales!"

TRU used to have a sale for Geoffrey's birthday every September, nothing. LEGO hasn't had a BOGO---% sale in who knows how long.

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Post by pbb99 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:55 pm

Given that 10x air miles means 10 air miles per $20 spent and 10 air miles saves you maybe $2 on a flight it's a near useless promotion. Even worse, air miles has made it much harder to get flights at the base mile amount. But as much as we gripe, Lego seems to be flying off the shelves at msrp

legome
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by legome » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:35 pm

pbb99 wrote:Given that 10x air miles means 10 air miles per $20 spent and 10 air miles saves you maybe $2 on a flight it's a near useless promotion. Even worse, air miles has made it much harder to get flights at the base mile amount. But as much as we gripe, Lego seems to be flying off the shelves at msrp

It's even worse than that.. Toys R Us is $30 per point!

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Haven't been in a ToysRUs since about a year - so many other options to buy LEGO - don't need that store :).
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:55 am

pbb99 wrote:But as much as we gripe, Lego seems to be flying off the shelves at msrp
And that is exactly why there are far fewer sales on Lego at TRU, especially with the holiday season right around the corner. Why put a discount on something that will sell at full price anyway? Sounds like a good business move to me.

legome
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by legome » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with Lego itself.. seems like deals overall are way down compared to usual...

DrRichie
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DrRichie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Hope someone here was able to catch the one-day family and friends promo (15% off entire order). Together with the 10x bonus miles and 50 bonus miles code on purchase of $100 or more made the offer pretty sweet. I was able to catch the post the last hour and ordered two modulars before the code expired.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm

That deal was about the same value as last months S@H Promo with double VIP.
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

DrRichie
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DrRichie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm

harry99 wrote:That deal was about the same value as last months S@H Promo with double VIP.
Yea depending on whether you want the Christmas set or not from s@h. If you buy at toysrus, u save $10 more. With the 10x points + 50 points airmiles, it's an additional $10 saving if u redeem your miles for cash. So basically you save $20 more at toysrus or you get bonus set at s@h but $20 more. It's a decent sale....as people are complaining there aren't any sales at toysrus lately.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

I agree - for the exclusives it's not bad. For a regular sale 15% isn't a whole lot - given that you can get the 15% off any weekend at chapters.ca .

For toysrus its not bad... considering. However, it's odd that it only lasted one day.

massakassa
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by massakassa » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 pm

harry99 wrote:I agree - for the exclusives it's not bad. For a regular sale 15% isn't a whole lot - given that you can get the 15% off any weekend at chapters.ca .

For toysrus its not bad... considering. However, it's odd that it only lasted one day.
Chapters discounts don't apply to Lego sets anymore.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

The 15OFFWEEKENDS doesn't work for Lego anymore?

DrRichie
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DrRichie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 pm

harry99 wrote:The 15OFFWEEKENDS doesn't work for Lego anymore?
Yea that code no longer works for legos at chapters. And with the current JOYFUL code, it doesn't seem to work either. Even if it works, for the new lego sets chapters will charge you for shipping and no free shipping to store either.

mrbean
Citizen
Citizen

Post by mrbean » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:17 pm

The fine print for the JOYFUL code says it excludes Lego.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 am

I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of AFOLs cried out in terror. Something terrible has happened.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?