Walmart.ca Clearance

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Walmart.ca Clearance

Post by Blacknight » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Well, your points are well taken. I think we can all agree that Walmart lies somewhere between child and criminal. I'm certainly no fan of them as a corporation - they arose out of the rubble of the segregationist American south and over the last 50 years led the charge toward a lower wage part time outscourced economy that has gutted the North American middle class.

All that said, is it moral for us as citizens, in spite of knowing and understanding their "official" company policy regarding self price matching, to nevertheless willfully "test their defenses" by continually looking for employees who can basically be tricked into subverting it? That's hard to say.

I'm certainly NOT holier than anyone on this issue - I've done my share of skirting official company policy on sales and returns.

Nevertheless I think it's something that should be left up to individual conscience and not celebrated and congratulated on this or any forum. All that does is legitimize what is anything but a clear cut moral decision.

That's really the only point I wanted to make. Let's tone down the back-slapping a bit. It's not like we're helping anyone in society but ourselves here. Two wrongs don't make a right, all it does is send us further down the drain of nihilism that Walmart originally set us on.

Congruence
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Congruence » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:07 am

As of this morning they had 79017 battle of the five armies for $60, I picked up a couple.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Congruence wrote:As of this morning they had 79017 battle of the five armies for $60, I picked up a couple.
Regular being $75, only 20% off, I will wait. They had 79018 The Lonely Mountain for $60-70, now that was a good buy!

scotth510
Peasant
Peasant

Post by scotth510 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Does walmart.ca update their clearance items weekly or do they randomly discount stuff? Thanks in advance.

AbuTaleb
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by AbuTaleb » Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

^
From time to time they update and not in regular bases. They can update any time.

scotth510
Peasant
Peasant

Post by scotth510 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks. That seems to be what i have been seeing.

AbuTaleb
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by AbuTaleb » Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 am

I really can't believe what I have seen today.

At Walmart decarie in Montreal I found the following hot deals

- 75018 Jek-14’s ™ Stealth Starfighter ... $30 (from $89.99)
- 21118 The Mine $50 (from $129.29)

There was also other deals on lego Movie Icecream car set and TMNT sets.

I took the Jek-14 sets which my son liked so much especially after watching the Lego star wars movie that feature that set. I was watching this set for long time at Walmart and I was sure it will get discounted because they had 8 or 9 sets on the shelf.

And I was so lucky to get that set because just as I picked up that set. one man came with a cart and took every thing. I was shocked to see that. He took all the discounted Lego sets and left nothing behind.

Lego is expensive and when it is discounted kids should benefit of such discount not people like this man.

I really wanted to do something but I was so shocked and didn't know what to do ..

PalaceBrother
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by PalaceBrother » Fri May 22, 2015 11:33 am

AbuTaleb wrote: And I was so lucky to get that set because just as I picked up that set. one man came with a cart and took every thing. I was shocked to see that. He took all the discounted Lego sets and left nothing behind.

Lego is expensive and when it is discounted kids should benefit of such discount not people like this man.

I really wanted to do something but I was so shocked and didn't know what to do ..
Great finds! I love finding a deal, and I'll post about it when I do...but I find people who do what you described gross.

They're entitled to do it. The store did after all discount the items to get them off the shelves but reselling as a career (or second career) is so very slimy in my opinion. Especially when we're talking about children's toys that are already out of reach of many kids due to its high price.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri May 22, 2015 2:53 pm

AbuTaleb wrote:
And I was so lucky to get that set because just as I picked up that set. one man came with a cart and took every thing. I was shocked to see that. He took all the discounted Lego sets and left nothing behind.

There are so many such people who is selfish and inconsiderate in this world. It was true that there is nothing you can do while you had no right to stop his action. I guess he would be feeling sorry for himself if he did not purchase those discounted sets and let another reseller to do it.

mdoupe
Citizen
Citizen

Post by mdoupe » Fri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm

PalaceBrother wrote:reselling as a career (or second career) is so very slimy in my opinion
How do you feel about Bricklink?

legoda7
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legoda7 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:42 pm

might be OT but the new Star Wars sets are available at my Wal-Mart. :)

PalaceBrother
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by PalaceBrother » Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 pm

mdoupe wrote:
PalaceBrother wrote:reselling as a career (or second career) is so very slimy in my opinion
How do you feel about Bricklink?
I feel conflicted.

I hate the concept of people buying discounted sets at huge markdowns, then sitting on them for months (or years) until the price has increased. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I love the concept of people buying sets and parting out the pieces so that MOCers can buy the pieces they need in bulk, so that's a good thing.

The whole argument is incredibly subjective so I'm very cognisant of the hypocrisy...it just....bugs me.

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Mon May 25, 2015 4:05 pm

It happens, some people just want to profit. But if they see another child wanting the set, then the reseller should at least give a copy.

massakassa
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by massakassa » Mon May 25, 2015 5:13 pm

I part out sets for Bricklink myself and will often buy up all the sets i can find. There isnt really that much clearance to go around and others often beat me to it so i dont feel bad when i can finally get a good haul. That being said i do often leave sets on the shelve when it concerns themes that i dont much care for like Lego City, Chima or TMNT, or if there arent enough copies of a set available to make parting out worthwhile.

mdoupe
Citizen
Citizen

Post by mdoupe » Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 pm

PalaceBrother wrote: I hate the concept of people buying discounted sets at huge markdowns, then sitting on them for months (or years) until the price has increased. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, it just doesn't sit well with me.
There is a tremendous amount of vitriol on this forum towards "slimy" resellers, when really I'm betting that's a vast minority. There are so many other reasons people buy large quantities of sets.

1> bricklinkers: The larger quantity you can get of a set, the more efficient the part out process becomes. The higher quantity of a part you have, the more likely someone is going to come to your store to buy it. There is absolutely no incentive to part out a single copy of a set.

2> lugs/drafting: lots of lugs buy large quantities of sets for parts drafts. Mine just drafted several copies of a clearance set yesterday.

3> personal: Some people just want to stock up on parts and don't mind getting a bunch of parts they don't necessarily need. For people with newer, smaller collections this is almost on par with Bricklink for building a part base to work from.

People who do buy them to resell are not going to make a lot of money. Let's look at a set from 5 years ago. I'll pick a star wars set, just to tip the scales in favor of this theoretical scalper. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8092-1 Luke's Landspeeder from 2010. Probably a fairly popular set. 5 great figures, small to medium part count. Iconic. Retailed at $35CAD. Now let's look at the resale prices: http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg= ... archSort=C You can get it sealed for $40CAD. Assuming they got it at 50% off, they're making a profit of 117%. Not too bad, but it's also been sitting in a basement collecting dust for 5 years. Now remember for every Luke's Landspeeder there are at least 2 or 3 Droid tri fighters, which are selling for significantly below original MSRP.

There is a huge bubble forming because of Lego's growing popularity. Eventually that stack of 20 Jek 14's in your theoretical scum of the earth's basement are going to be like beanie babies. Worth less than what they paid.

Keep in mind that we're all people here, not 2 dimensional Disney villains out to step on as many fingers as possible. Without Bricklinkers, your hobby would suffer.

PalaceBrother
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by PalaceBrother » Tue May 26, 2015 4:52 am

mdoupe wrote: There is a huge bubble forming because of Lego's growing popularity. Eventually that stack of 20 Jek 14's in your theoretical scum of the earth's basement are going to be like beanie babies. Worth less than what they paid.

Keep in mind that we're all people here, not 2 dimensional Disney villains out to step on as many fingers as possible. Without Bricklinkers, your hobby would suffer.
Look, if the stuff is on sale then anybody is entitled to buy it. I'm not claiming my moral high ground is logical.

You make good points, which is why I laced my comments with so many caveats. I used to collect a ton of rare vinyl & I felt the same way about people who would try to buy every copy of a limited run 10" from a show just to eBay them later.

You're spot on with the bubble comment; the current growth can't be sustained at this rate. That having been said, TLG is being smart with how they're attacking the adult & girl markets. Both have become incredibly lucrative for them as evidenced by the abundance of Creator Expert and the introduction of the Elves theme. I thought the latter would completely tank but my nine year old was gobsmacked when she saw it. They've really nailed it with those sets.

Gray2010
I'm New !

Post by Gray2010 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:25 am

My local Walmart is heavily discounting big
Lego sets. I was able to purchase the Lego movie super secret police dropship for $40 CDN.

John

Piece_of_Evil
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Piece_of_Evil » Sun May 31, 2015 8:27 am

It's taken a while, but seeing tons of "Battle for Ninjago City", for $50 and "Phoenix Fire Temple",as well for $50. Dropships are hanging around $80 still around me.

AbuTaleb
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by AbuTaleb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Gray2010

Piece_of_Evil

What is your location ??

legoda7
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legoda7 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:38 pm

AT-AT at 95$ at my Wal-Mart (instead of 130$). Should I go for it?