TRU Canada Lego Sales now to be on 15%?????

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

TRU Canada Lego Sales now to be on 15%?????

Post by hatcher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 am

Just say this weeks upcoming flier (June 22nd - July 1st 2018) and both Marvel Super Heroes and Friends have some sets on sale. But THEY ARE ONLY OFFERING 15% OFF!

WHAT THE HECK?

Seeing as how sales tax in Ontario is 13%, that amounts to a savings of 2%, or basically nothing.

I certainly hope this is one off, and not the new normal, as 20% is barely worth it most cases. Honestly TRU, why even bother?

I know I won't be buying anything.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: TRU Canada Lego Sales now to be on 15%?????

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am

Same thing in the Alberta Toys 'R' Us flyer this week. If it's just Toys R Us doing this then whatever, but if Walmart follows them that's going to be disappointing...

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 am

It occurred to me that Toys R Us in Canada is under new management. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 pm

It could be their whole sale discount rate from LEGO may not be as good now given that the parent company went bankrupt owing suppliers like LEGO money.

styledshadow
Citizen
Citizen

Post by styledshadow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 am

Respectfully disagree.

While TRU hasn't been doing better than 20% for a couple of years now (the couple 25-30% "liquidation" sales notwithstanding), I don't think that this sale has anything to do with the bankruptcy. TRU Canada is now wholly owned by a holding company parent -- its books are clean and suppliers paid, no question.

Recent Marvel movies like Avengers and BP are still hot properties, and even Amazon has yet to discount these sets substantively. Similarly, Friends is probably selling fairly well without discounts.

I think TRU needs to find some measure of profitability, and providing an (unnecessary) higher discount on products that are probably selling OK without the extra push works against that. They simply may have some quarterly targets to hit to turnover inventory, and planned a little extra push to help that happen. Particularly with the new models rolling out shortly, including Jurassic stuff. Lego owns the shelf space -- old(er) product needs to make room for the new stuff, even if its just a matter of quantity, and not variety.

I really don't think they lose much from a group of AFOL price hawks not taking advantage of this sale. Frankly, if you still shop TRU based only on price, you've already paid too much. There's still value in selection and availability @ these brick & mortars...

Jason4599
I'm New !

Post by Jason4599 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:43 am

Here are the instructions for the Make & Take.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.