[CAN] Zellers 50%-off One Item

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
sestial
I'm New !

Re: [CAN] Zellers 50%-off One Item

Post by sestial » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Shijima wrote:That's what I did as well. Ended up with the City Harbour transport, Alien EDHQ, Alien UFO, POTC Mill, and SW Sith Infiltrator.
All neat sets that I was not willing to pay full price or even 25% off to get. 50% sealed the deal.

I went one last time today, to get the UFO set, and the cashier did not look happy to see the coupon on my phone( Isaved the pdf in the download), and she wrote a big note on her copy of the reciept.

I felt pretty bad when I told a Mom with her kids about the coupon in the lego aisle and was showing her where to go on her smart phone to get the coupon, when I saw it was replaced by a $10 off coupon.
I was there today and noticed the store was decorated in yellow 'Clearance' signs. These signs were not present the first two days of this sale. No doubt a response to stem the bleeding since the coupon is no longer valid on items already on sale! I did notice that the Pharaoh's Quest line was discounted at the Zellers I was at, so the 50% coupon would not be valid on those sets.
If anyone is looking for a BBQ, now would be a great time to snag a Beaumont Gas $500 BBQ for $250. (Don't ask me if they are of any quality). I've read where people were picking up multiple Kitchen Aid Stand Mixers for half price! :wave:

shaozhi
Peasant
Peasant

Post by shaozhi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Toronadian wrote:
kchan98 wrote:SQ1 Zellers has a bunch of bigger city sets but no Kingdoms.

Zellers @ Dundas near UTM in Mississauga has two prison tower rescue (69.99 msrp) left.
Hey for the SQ1 Zellers...you mentioned City sets...were any of them the new 2012 stuff?
I was there yesterday and no, they didn't have any 2012 city sets.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Picked up the Alien Conquest Earth Defence HQ set today, just can't resist the 50% off.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 am

dulait wrote:Picked up the Alien Conquest Earth Defence HQ set today, just can't resist the 50% off.
Yes, 50% Off on this set(actually alien conquest line) was very tempting, and I was currently struggling for it. Too bad I have to control myself while spending too much for Star Wars and Kingdoms sets in this sesaonal holiday.

Visited the store again for picking up a 7959 Geonosian Starfighter. I would not spend $20 for 155 pieces box set if I could find those minifigures at somewhere else with better price :-|.

BTW, No new stock was found.
striderhiryu wrote:Lynn Valley store had 10+ King's Carriage Ambush if anyone in GVRD is looking for that. Also had some SW bps, Ewok Attack, Battle of Naboo, Log Cabin, some of the bigger Cars sets along with the common PQ/AC sets.
striderhiryu, did you picked up the last box of Naboo Fighter, didn't you?
Last edited by legohunter on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:47 am

Is this still good today (Saturday) as well or was yesterday the last kick at the can? I picked up two log cabins yesterday and the cashier mentioned that today (Yesterday) was the last day.....?

I JUST might venture out again this AM and grab a few SW sets if today is still a go...

Cheers,

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:46 am

countryboy wrote:Is this still good today (Saturday) as well or was yesterday the last kick at the can? I picked up two log cabins yesterday and the cashier mentioned that today (Yesterday) was the last day.....?

I JUST might venture out again this AM and grab a few SW sets if today is still a go...

Cheers,
The coupon is still good today. I'm gonna have one last run with it today as well!

loporjai2003
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by loporjai2003 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Markham and Lawrence Zellers has: Naboo, Kings Carriage, Prison Tower, Log Cabin, some SW and TRU has a 10199 Winter Toy Shop

striderhiryu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by striderhiryu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 pm

legohunter wrote:striderhiryu, did you picked up the last box of Naboo Fighter, didn't you?
Nope :) I didn't see any there when I went.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Going to visit the Coquitlam Zellers tomorrow afternoon to see what stock they have there, might stop by Brentwood as well.
How was the selection like at Coquitlam? I went there earlier this month and it had tons of Podracers. Really want to get some of the new Super Heroes sets.

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Well, this was a screamin' deal no matter how you look at it from a Cdn perspective... My only regret was not reacting to it quicker to maximize the opportunity as opposed to when i did apply it, which was only yesterday!!!

My total count is:

3 X Log Cabins
1 X Naboo Starfighter\
1 X T6 Jedi Shuttle
1 X Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator
1 X Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers
1 X General Grievous' Starfighter
1 X Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle

At 50% off, that translates into over $300 in savings just like that.....

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Ice wrote:
Legobrandon wrote:Going to visit the Coquitlam Zellers tomorrow afternoon to see what stock they have there, might stop by Brentwood as well.
How was the selection like at Coquitlam? I went there earlier this month and it had tons of Podracers. Really want to get some of the new Super Heroes sets.
FYI, at lynn valley, there were a lot at boxing day, but I could only find one (open box condition)at the shelf last night. Thus, I guess that it would be a low chance to find one from Coquitlam store. I expect to see resell value of this set wouldn't be too high in Vancovuer area.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:10 pm

countryboy wrote:Well, this was a screamin' deal no matter how you look at it from a Cdn perspective... My only regret was not reacting to it quicker to maximize the opportunity as opposed to when i did apply it, which was only yesterday!!!

My total count is:

3 X Log Cabins
1 X Naboo Starfighter\
1 X T6 Jedi Shuttle
1 X Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator
1 X Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers
1 X General Grievous' Starfighter
1 X Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle

At 50% off, that translates into over $300 in savings just like that.....
Certainly, it is hard to see 50% off for lego set (including licensed set) in Canada. Zellers is much generous than I thought at this boxing week.

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:47 pm

This was a really great sale, but I only managed to use it towards a single Lego set; I was busy and the only Zellers I could get to were wiped out from Christmas. It looks like Zellers' correction (removing sale item eligibility) really angered some people; it was even in The Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ine-coupon

To me, 50% off any non-sale item is a killer deal, but I can understand why some people might be angry. Interestingly, it looks like Zellers' mistake with this coupon was not that the coupon was being abused, but that people couldn't use it on sales items as promised. In my eyes, this opens up the possibility for similar coupons popping up before Target takes over; even 40% off would be great if they had 2012 stock in. Keep your fingers crossed!

By the way, did anybody say 'Cucumber' in order to use the coupon? :lol:

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:52 pm

legohunter wrote: FYI, at lynn valley, there were a lot at boxing day, but I could only find one (open box condition)at the shelf last night. Thus, I guess that it would be a low chance to find one from Coquitlam store. I expect to see resell value of this set wouldn't be too high in Vancovuer area.
Yeah, thats what I was expecting so didn't even head out to the Coquitlam or Surrey stores today. I just dropped by Metrotown and Brentwood and all of the big sets (especially Star Wars) are gone. Lots of smaller sets, Cars and Toy Story still though. No 50% off 2012 sets I guess. :(

Word really spreads quickly. With their correction notices in their stores mentioning the coupon, I bet people started searching for it. There were huge lineups at the Zellers I went to today. (wasn't like this on Boxing Day!)

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 pm

autobrick wrote:This was a really great sale, but I only managed to use it towards a single Lego set; I was busy and the only Zellers I could get to were wiped out from Christmas. It looks like Zellers' correction (removing sale item eligibility) really angered some people; it was even in The Toronto Star:

To me, 50% off any non-sale item is a killer deal, but I can understand why some people might be angry. Interestingly, it looks like Zellers' mistake with this coupon was not that the coupon was being abused, but that people couldn't use it on sales items as promised. In my eyes, this opens up the possibility for similar coupons popping up before Target takes over; even 40% off would be great if they had 2012 stock in. Keep your fingers crossed!

I understand why people may be angry. Usually if a retailer makes a mistake, they're suppose to offer you the lowest discount price (i.e price on the shelf vs price scanned).

I bet they don't make any money when some of their boxing week flyer deals are 50% off and then stacked with 50% off coupon, and then another 10% off from HBC Mastercard/SPC Card and maybe some other voucher coupons. :lol:

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:32 pm

autobrick wrote:This was a really great sale, but I only managed to use it towards a single Lego set; I was busy and the only Zellers I could get to were wiped out from Christmas. It looks like Zellers' correction (removing sale item eligibility) really angered some people; it was even in The Toronto Star:

Some people are even complaining to the government about this, apparently you are not allowed to change terms of coupon once it is released. So Zellers might get into a lot of trouble for this promotion.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Ice wrote:
About the same for every store, many podracers.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Ice wrote:
legohunter wrote: FYI, at lynn valley, there were a lot at boxing day, but I could only find one (open box condition)at the shelf last night. Thus, I guess that it would be a low chance to find one from Coquitlam store. I expect to see resell value of this set wouldn't be too high in Vancovuer area.
Yeah, thats what I was expecting so didn't even head out to the Coquitlam or Surrey stores today. I just dropped by Metrotown and Brentwood and all of the big sets (especially Star Wars) are gone. Lots of smaller sets, Cars and Toy Story still though. No 50% off 2012 sets I guess. :(

Word really spreads quickly. With their correction notices in their stores mentioning the coupon, I bet people started searching for it. There were huge lineups at the Zellers I went to today. (wasn't like this on Boxing Day!)
Most of the bigger SW sets were in stock when the promo went live, but after a few days they all went missing, looks like the re-sellers took advantage of this coupon big time.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Went to Zellers for the very last time today, unfortunately I did not buy a single LEGO set with this coupon. I wanted to get the blacksmiths shop so I hid it behind some Hero Factory sets hoping no one would find them. Well some a** h*** did find it and bought it. I went upstairs to find it missing. I was super pissed off :evil: . Looked around, still no sign of the set so I gave up.

With 10 mins until closing I decided I wanted to buy the Kings Carriage Ambush so I walked to the escalator to find it shut down with barriers. What kind of store shuts down the escalator with 10 mins left? I was so mad, I went into the corner of the store and started crying :cry: .

Well at least we can all hope for a bigger coupon before they close down.

AshleyAshes
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AshleyAshes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Went to Zellers for the very last time today, unfortunately I did not buy a single LEGO set with this coupon. I wanted to get the blacksmiths shop so I hid it behind some Hero Factory sets hoping no one would find them. Well some a** h*** did find it and bought it. I went upstairs to find it missing. I was super pissed off :evil: . Looked around, still no sign of the set so I gave up.

With 10 mins until closing I decided I wanted to buy the Kings Carriage Ambush so I walked to the escalator to find it shut down with barriers. What kind of store shuts down the escalator with 10 mins left? I was so mad, I went into the corner of the store and started crying :cry:.
I... Really don't think that any of this is an emotionally appropriate response to the situation. You should maybe considder talking to a professional if reactions like this are normal to you. o.o