[Canada] ToysRUs 20% off LEGO City, Creator, Basics

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [Canada] ToysRUs 20% off LEGO City, Creator, Basics

Post by ricefields » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 am

now that bn.com has the set for 10% plus the 20% off coupon, the set comes out to $105 compared to $90 from the tru deal if you are succesful in haggling. I rather stick with the bn.com deal and have a peace of mind without hassling with the CSR at tru for $15!

Tjones
I'm New !

Post by Tjones » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 am

So I just called and got the same run around from the CSR saying it was a website pricing error and there was nothing they could do, asked so speak with a manager and was quickly forwarded onto one. He was giving me the same line, website pricing error and there was nothing they could do. After 15 minutes of speaking with the manager he put me on hold and came back stating that they could price match with amazon.com as they ship to Canada. I played dumb knowing that amazon.COM doesn't ship Lego to Canada. So in the end I re-ordered the set from TRU website at full (marked up) price of 179.99, used my $45 g/c, called back and had them price match the amazon.com listed price of 116.95 bringing the final price to $71.95 and still with free shipping. $80 after taxes.

sneaky07
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sneaky07 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 pm

I've got the worst luck, I got a supervisor who gave me the run around and wouldn't honor the $79.99. So left it at that and hung up. Then tried what Tjones did, but the CSR wouldn't match the price from Amazon.com cause it was a US site. @Tjones, you must've been lucky that you talked to a CSR who didn't realize it was a US site.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Tjones wrote:After 15 minutes of speaking with the manager he put me on hold and came back stating that they could price match with amazon.com as they ship to Canada. I played dumb knowing that amazon.COM doesn't ship Lego to Canada. So in the end I re-ordered the set from TRU website at full (marked up) price of 179.99, used my $45 g/c, called back and had them price match the amazon.com listed price of 116.95 bringing the final price to $71.95 and still with free shipping. $80 after taxes.
ROFL! I can't stop laughing right now when you said they price matched the 10% off price at Amazon.com and let you use your $45 credit. Thats even better than their original $79.99 price! :lol:

I got the same credit card cancel email (a few hours after I've received notification that I'll get $45 credit) as well telling me that my credit card was rejected and I need to call them. Considering all the discrepancies people are getting when they called, they're being really unprofessional.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Ice wrote:Considering all the discrepancies people are getting when they called, they're being really unprofessional.
Most definitely. Everyone should be getting the same treatment.
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

nel34
I'm New !

Post by nel34 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 am

I received the same email to. I called them and the person i talked was really unprofessional. She told me it was MY mistake ! She told me to pay more attention next time when it will be time to write my adress and no. of credit card during purchase... I was upset and tell her next time i will pay more attention when i will buy somewhere else !
For me it is over TRUS. Really bad customer service, the worst i ever seen...

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am

nel34 wrote:I received the same email to. I called them and the person i talked was really unprofessional. She told me it was MY mistake ! She told me to pay more attention next time when it will be time to write my adress and no. of credit card during purchase... I was upset and tell her next time i will pay more attention when i will buy somewhere else !
For me it is over TRUS. Really bad customer service, the worst i ever seen...
Did you get her name? Send a complaint email or call them up. Customers should not be treated this way no matter what situation.

jj1624
I'm New !

Post by jj1624 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 am

I just got off the phone with a CSR and then Manager, I asked "Will you honor the price mistake?", the manager said, "Of course we will, ill put that order through for you now", $79.99 plus tax. Thanks Toys R US!!!

nel34
I'm New !

Post by nel34 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:18 pm

No LegoBrandon i did'nt write is name. She put me on the hold about five minutes, before answering me. It was saturday between 6-7 pm. She was talking like someone really boring about is job. Maybe i wasn't the first with this case has i can read on this forum !
It's the second time i have an issue with TRU and this time was the last time... A company who don't honor his error and worst make feel the customer like the one to blame, it's just not serious ... Why send a message that says the problem is the credit card instead of mailing : we are sorry we did a mistake and will not honor it...Because it is so cheap !
Thank you to read me, i feel much better now ! :lol:

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 pm

ricefields wrote:now that bn.com has the set for 10% plus the 20% off coupon, the set comes out to $105 compared to $90 from the tru deal if you are succesful in haggling. I rather stick with the bn.com deal and have a peace of mind without hassling with the CSR at tru for $15!
I would order from B&N anyways just on principle. They offer 10% off new items and have tons of discounts and free shipping on orders of 25 dollars or more. TRU? They jack the price up 10-30% and offer free shipping only when you spend something ridiculous like 50-100 bucks. Oh, and apparently they won't honor the vast majority of sales even when it's completely, 100% their fault.

They were prolly tipped off cause they actually had a bunch of people buying the Helm's Deep rather than one or two like usual.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am

Deathleech wrote:
ricefields wrote:They were prolly tipped off cause they actually had a bunch of people buying the Helm's Deep rather than one or two like usual.
I guess it takes a couple of 5-10+ sets order from those whom took advantage of the error to set off the alarm, while at the same time dooming themselves and everyone else. On behalf of all of us, thankyou to all those greedy idiots.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:17 am

Hehe, I actually meant they probably only get 1-2 orders total (an exaggeration obviously). I just don't see why anyone would buy from TRU with their ridiculous mark ups when there so many better options out there.

Lets see, order from TRU and pay 20-30% ABOVE MSRP
OR
Order from the Lego store, save $10-20 on bundles and get 5 bucks for every 100 you spend
Order from B&N and get 25-30% off new items
Order from Target/Walmart/Amazon and pay right around MSRP

TheCurse9
I'm New !

Post by TheCurse9 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am

After cancelling my order last friday (because of some imaginary credit card problem!), I just received an email from TRU this morning with an offer to reorder the Helm's Deep set at the original price ($80). Maybe they felt obligated because of Quebec's OPC laws?

Anyway, there is no way I'm returning the set I ordered from B&N! I bought several LEGO sets online from TRU in the past but, from now on, you can be sure I will take a look at B&N first! Very poor way to treat their customers...

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

if you are from canada or anywhere else other than US, it does not make financial sense to return because I believe you have to pay to get it returned (although there is a label its not prepaid) or to drop it off at a bn store. so have to accept the price you paid for it or the condition that its received in; however, you can call bn if the set was damaged or the wrong set was delivered and they will provide a full refund should the damage be severe enough (eg lego box got punctured during shipping; creasing and denting does not count as severe) and you don't have to return the set.

At least toysrus are also okay in the refund department, they will also allow full refund (however you do have to return) or discount should the package be delivered in poor condition (ie hole in the box, seals undone) and you want to keep it.

pbegin
I'm New !

Post by pbegin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

TheCurse9 wrote:After cancelling my order last friday (because of some imaginary credit card problem!), I just received an email from TRU this morning with an offer to reorder the Helm's Deep set at the original price ($80). Maybe they felt obligated because of Quebec's OPC laws?

Anyway, there is no way I'm returning the set I ordered from B&N! I bought several LEGO sets online from TRU in the past but, from now on, you can be sure I will take a look at B&N first! Very poor way to treat their customers...
I also received those coupons (I live in Quebec), but I tried to use them today and they do not work. Called to inquire what was wrong, I was told to go through the Contact Us form on the web site... I filled in the form and I am waiting for results...

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Yes, their legal folks probably told them that they have to honour these deals (wich they have - even consumer protection legislation in Ontario obliges them to as they confirmed the order and cancled under false pretenses - advising customers to contact their financial institution).

Time for a complaint with the BBB and the good ol' MCS (Ontario Ministry of Consumer Affairs). It's just not fair game - if you make a mistake you have to stand up for it.

However, from what I've heard about this Lego required them to cancel all the orders - no matter the damage or cost. We have seen this before - i.e. WalMart & Lego (price-binding - and they for sure don't want to get in Lego's bad books). But, again, in the case of placed orders, this either needs to be handled differently (consumer friendly) and a resolution needs to be found that satisfies the parties involved. Telling folks that their orders are canceled because of their Credit Cards - and telling them to call their banks - is not the solution.
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:58 pm

dulait wrote:
I guess it takes a couple of 5-10+ sets order from those whom took advantage of the error to set off the alarm, while at the same time dooming themselves and everyone else. On behalf of all of us, thankyou to all those greedy idiots.
I agree with that. How often would TRUs.ca receive these large number of orders at once? The innocent always got screwed.
TheCurse9 wrote:After cancelling my order last friday (because of some imaginary credit card problem!), I just received an email from TRU this morning with an offer to reorder the Helm's Deep set at the original price ($80). Maybe they felt obligated because of Quebec's OPC laws?
They were afraid that there will be another wave of protests on the street. :-D
harry99 wrote:However, from what I've heard about this Lego required them to cancel all the orders - no matter the damage or cost. We have seen this before - i.e. WalMart & Lego (price-binding - and they for sure don't want to get in Lego's bad books).
So.... you meant...TLC was involved in giving out direction to TRUs in settling the price error. :shock: Did TLC care about TRUs if TRUs lost money from their mistake, didn't it?

wintersun
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wintersun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:43 pm

I got a coupon to buy it again for 79.99$ and it work!!!!

So, for 210$CAN I got 2x set (1 TRU + 1 B&N)

cupishalfempty
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by cupishalfempty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 am

So Quebec residents are able to purchase it for $79.99, yet the rest of Canada can only purchase it at $135? That seems horribly unfair. Is it worth calling and complaining?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 am

Quebec is just odd in general. Please don't take that the wrong way though, I'm saying the truth. ;) but it doesn't hurt to try.