Toysrus Canada Week 3 Bricktober!

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Toysrus Canada Week 3 Bricktober!

Post by harry99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 am

^ My local store provides the option of the polybag OR the vintage minifigures - even at $75 spend. They do not offer both at the same time. I talked to the manager and was told that its either the polybag or the vintage figures but not both (even if spend on the required theme - i.e. this week Star Wars).

Obviously, anything below $75 does not even get the option of the vintage minifigures.
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 am

harry99 wrote:^ My local store provides the option of the polybag OR the vintage minifigures - even at $75 spend.
Sorry to hear that; TRU would fall out of my favour if they did that to me, too.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 am

kiiaal wrote:According to a poster I saw at a TRU store, tomorrow (Friday) is midnight madness with specials starting @ 6pm.

No specifics on the specials but it did state that for purchases totalling >$100 you get a bonus 100 AM.
There are specifics in this week's flyer and in an email they just sent out - I looked through, but didn't see any additional LEGO on sale.
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

Aladar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Aladar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Hm, I hope they'll have leftover Darth Mauls at the end of the week, like how they've had remaining Frodos, ghosts, and mining polybags.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Hodgeman wrote:
kiiaal wrote:According to a poster I saw at a TRU store, tomorrow (Friday) is midnight madness with specials starting @ 6pm.

No specifics on the specials but it did state that for purchases totalling >$100 you get a bonus 100 AM.
There are specifics in this week's flyer and in an email they just sent out - I looked through, but didn't see any additional LEGO on sale.
Bonus 100 AM(air mile I asuume). So there are no other LEGO on sale sadly.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 am

If anyone checks their local ToysRus today or this weekend; can you post if you see the ghost Polybag on sale for $4.99 (the one that they gave away for purchases of $35 of more last week).

Thank you!!!
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am

The Barrie TRU has lots of the Ghost polybag for sale at $4.99. They put a couple in the bin outside the front door, but the rest are on pegs at the end of one of the rows.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 am

hatcher wrote:The Barrie TRU has lots of the Ghost polybag for sale at $4.99. They put a couple in the bin outside the front door, but the rest are on pegs at the end of one of the rows.
Yay! Thanks for the info - much appreciated :up: !!! Will be heading there this afternoon to pick some up! :-D

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

Visited Vancouver store this morning. The store only carried 30 Darth Maul polybags and no "ghost" polybag were found. Most shoppers were there for Bricktober vintage minifigs. The store associates were very busy at check-out counter, and gave away both polybag AND the vintage minifigures if the purchase was over $75. I saw most customers managed to break down their purchase into multiple transactions so that they could get multiple promo gifts; therefore, I guess the polybag will be all gone before noon. :???:

I was so lucky that they gave me a Darth Maul polybags, even though I just bought the Desert Skiff. Few of them were too busy to pay attention to the fine print.

JJpach
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by JJpach » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Not entirely a fan of licensed themes so my wallet has been safe for the past 2 weeks. Also, avoiding Friday's traffic craziness is a huge bonus :D

brickity
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Went to TRU to get a Marvel set plus a small city set and the cashier told me that they were sold out of the vintage minifigs. No big deal, since the Marvel set was 5 bucks over MSRP anyways... but I decided to check a different cashier (just in case) and sure enough, two other cashiers had them. Guess it's too much work to actually find out if they're sold out... meh.

Anyhow, I also asked if they could price match any of their competitor's normal retail price for the Marvel set (had a print out with me as well) and the manager said no. LOL... nice "price guarantee"... can't even match the regular price of every other store in the city. But to make up for it, the cashier did give me the Darth Maul figure and I didn't have to buy a Star Wars set... I think it was just a mistake on her part, but oh well... makes up for the 5 bucks over msrp.

Had to cringe and suck up paying full CDN retail for the Marvel set, but needed it anyways for a birthday present and can't wait to have it shipped by BN. The vintage figures and the darth maul help to ease the sting. ;)

Akitakara
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Akitakara » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:09 am

Anyone gone to try out the minifigure exchange yet?

Aladar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Aladar » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 am

Akitakara wrote:Anyone gone to try out the minifigure exchange yet?
Mostly mismatched ones but I did get a jack sparrow minus his hair.

Akitakara
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Akitakara » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:22 am

Aladar wrote:
Ah cool. Is it at a table kind of thing, or does the TRU employee just give you one randomly/what you ask for?

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:47 am

Aladar wrote:
But Sparrow is all about the hair piece, thanks for the info, and good thing I skipped this.
brickity wrote:Went to TRU to get a Marvel set plus a small city set and the cashier told me that they were sold out of the vintage minifigs. No big deal, since the Marvel set was 5 bucks over MSRP anyways... but I decided to check a different cashier (just in case) and sure enough, two other cashiers had them. Guess it's too much work to actually find out if they're sold out... meh.

Anyhow, I also asked if they could price match any of their competitor's normal retail price for the Marvel set (had a print out with me as well) and the manager said no. LOL... nice "price guarantee"... can't even match the regular price of every other store in the city. But to make up for it, the cashier did give me the Darth Maul figure and I didn't have to buy a Star Wars set... I think it was just a mistake on her part, but oh well... makes up for the 5 bucks over msrp.

Had to cringe and suck up paying full CDN retail for the Marvel set, but needed it anyways for a birthday present and can't wait to have it shipped by BN. The vintage figures and the darth maul help to ease the sting. ;)
Toys R Us only price match if you bring in an actual flyer, and they will also call to confirm if the store still have the sale item in stock before price matching. It was and still is a pain in the behind, and that is why I never bother price matching at Toys R Us.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:36 pm

The exchange is exactly that, a trade. I assume that the first persons there this morning would have gotten new figures. But after that, its just whatever the last guy traded that you can take. My kids did get a couple of yellow space men, used of course, but since they don't have any, they were happy.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Aladar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Aladar » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Akitakara wrote:
Aladar wrote:
Ah cool. Is it at a table kind of thing, or does the TRU employee just give you one randomly/what you ask for?
everyone has one on their nameplate, like they do at Legoland. If you ask they will trade it for yours.

Jasper Parnebrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: TRU Bricktober Week 2 Sale October 5 - 11, 2012

Post by Jasper Parnebrick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 pm

QuagsireQing wrote:
dulait wrote:
sneaky07 wrote:Wow, these "deals" are getting worse and worse. It would make more sense to have the 20% off Star Wars theme LEGO to go with the Darth Maul giveaway.
Totally agree, and I recall QuagsireQing on the week one thread said he\she will be spending lots in the comming weeks of sales. And I also recall myself replying that if it was like last year's sale, it will ge worst and worst. Sadly I was right. But lets all hope TRU will redeem themselves in the last two weeks of bricktober.
Don't forget that Bricktober is, first and foremost, a marketing campaign. It's designed for people to spend money, not save it. This is my third year participating in it, and while the deals were much better back in 2010 (25% off discontinued exclusives?!), 20% off select themes plus vintage minifigs and polybags is still a good deal, if you're in the market for those themes.

To me, TRU doesn't need to redeem themselves. They still offer the best deals consistent across Canada. My local Wal-Mart never discounts any LEGO; it sells just fine without them. Zellers is closed, and never had good selection. I'm 8 hours away from the border, and without coupons Barnes & Noble stopped being worthwhile for the most part. Most anything bought on eBay or BrickLink loses its savings in shipping costs.

The first week excited many of you with the half-price Toys 'R' Us truck, but I don't collect City, so I had no interest in it. In contrast, each of the other four weeks have discounts on themes that I enjoy, but don't like paying full price for (especially Creator), and I've got my weekly sets planned out. 20% off select themes wouldn't get me out of my seat during the rest of the year, but I'm happy to trot down to TRU to partake in the Bricktober tradition; it's fueled me with several sets to keep me happy with my family while I wait for Creator Expert to begin in January.
I agree with QuagsireQing... aside from the odd set or two, and maybe the minifig battle packs.. TRU Canada doesnt mark their LEGO up at all.. I think you guys are reading US TRU threads too much.. If TRU Canada IS marking stuff up, which sets are being marked up? Like I said, I know the odd set or two might be like $5 higher than normal MSRP, but for the most part, they are level across the board!

That said, yea week 3 bricktober is pretty weak...

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Jasper Parnebrick wrote:I think you guys are reading US TRU threads too much.. If TRU Canada IS marking stuff up, which sets are being marked up?
I noticed that the LEGO Lord of the Rings was marked up a bit when I picked some up in Week 2. Both 9473 The Mines of Moria and 9474 The Battle for Helm's Deep were $10 more than from LEGO, but with the 20% discount applied, they wound up cheaper.

cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cornbread » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Jasper Parnebrick wrote: I agree with QuagsireQing... aside from the odd set or two, and maybe the minifig battle packs.. TRU Canada doesnt mark their LEGO up at all.. I think you guys are reading US TRU threads too much.. If TRU Canada IS marking stuff up, which sets are being marked up? Like I said, I know the odd set or two might be like $5 higher than normal MSRP, but for the most part, they are level across the board!

That said, yea week 3 bricktober is pretty weak...
It seems to vary by theme. EVERY Lord of the Rings set at TRU is marked up anywhere from 1 to 10 dollars. Whereas the Dino theme is all even prices.