Bricks N Pieces alternative to Pick A Brick online ordering

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
StClair
Count
Count

Bricks N Pieces alternative to Pick A Brick online ordering

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:10 pm

EDIT (9/23/2015)
They've updated the bricks and pieces system so my screen shots may not be as helpful as they once would have. I can't believe the horrible timing for my tutorial and their update.

Only recently (less than a year ago) did I discover "Bricks and Pieces." This is not to be confused with the online "Pick A Brick" (PAB) option. I had ordered parts many times from Pick A Brick when they had parts that I was looking for. I like PAB but I have found that "Bricks and Pieces" has lots of parts available to order that PAB does not offer.

For those that are NOT familiar with "Bricks and Pieces" I've prepared a tutorial to help. I hope that it helps others part with their money (its so easy to spend far too much) :-D

Step 1: Go to LEGO shop at home (online shop on LEGO's website)
Step 2: scroll down the page (near the bottom and close to "quick links") and click "MISSING PARTS"
bricksNpieces7.jpg
Step 3: Enter age and location shipping to
bricksNpieces6.jpg
Step 4: Click "I want to buy a piece"
bricksNpieces5.jpg
Step 5: Click "Bricks and Pieces selection"
bricksNpieces4.jpg
Step 6: search by the set number OR element or design ID

This is where the difficulty begins. I like to open a notebook and assign different pages for different types of parts. For instance I may compile a list of design ID (or element ID) for all heads that interest me. On a second page I may compile a list of hats and hairpieces that interest me. On a 3rd I may compile a list of rare parts that interest me (printed parts even).
By making a list of parts and their design ID it makes it so much easier to find the parts later.

I made the mistake of just adding parts to my bag as I browsed and then later discovered that it was bedtime before I finished my order. Making a list makes it easier add the items later to your bag when you are ready to check out.

I think most people that go to Bricks and Pieces already have certain parts (or at least types of parts) that they are looking for. For example I keep hoping to find this pairpiece.
Kananhairpiece.jpg
The hairpiece of Clouse in Ninjago set 70748 and Kanan in Star Wars Rebels set "The Ghost."
At one point the part was listed when searching by set number (in both of these sets) but now it is not listed in these sets. Not all parts in particular sets are listed. Many are listed but are (in red) NOT available (out of stock). At one point this part was shown as "out of stock." Currently it doesn't show up at all in these sets in "Bricks and Pieces." Sometimes parts show up as "out of stock" and later are made available.

So I most often search by set numbers and make a list of parts that interest me. Be sure to notice that when you search by set to click the "more" button at the bottom to pull up more parts available in the set.
bricksNpieces8.jpg
Step 7: Write down the Element ID OR Design ID of parts that interest you (your bag will not be saved before checkout... so if you exit and come back your bag is usually empty).
Element ID is very precise and when entered will result in the exact type AND COLOR of the part.
Clicking on the part will pull up a larger picture of the part and show both the Design ID and Element ID.

Design ID will pull up the part in various colors (if they share the same Design ID). I most often only write down the Design ID so that I can browse available colors (especially if I may later choose a different color or order the same part in various colors). All of the axe heads shown in the screenshot below have the same Design ID... but a unique Element ID. So entering the Design ID will pull up what you see in the screenshot (one can then choose from various colors).
bricksNpieces2.jpg
In regards to torso's I like to record the Element ID (instead of Design ID) because entering the Design ID will result in LOTS of different torso's. Most parts don't have this many options for the same Design ID. Try it. Search for Design ID "76382". There are so very many torso's listed which is great news for those that want to browse but frustrating for those that have already made a list of items that want and accidentally write down the Design ID for a particular torso instead of the Element ID. Just to be clear I most often write down the Design ID (with the exception of torso's in which case I write the Element ID).

Step 8: Add the items that interest you to the bag.
After your have added an item to your bag it is difficult to determine what color you chose if there are other similar colors. This was especially frustrating for me in the regards to items such as weapons and armor that are available in light grey, dark stone gray, titan metal and black. When viewing the pictures of items in your bag it can be difficult to determine what color you have chosen. Check out the items in my bag in the picture. The helmet is black while the sword is silver metallic but in the pictures they appear very similar.
bricksNpieces1.jpg
Step 9: Review your bag to ensure that you have the right items and quantities.
Step 10: Checkout

I've had a lot of difficulty checking out. The last two times that I made purchases from "Bricks and Pieces" I spent hours browsing and searching for parts to complete my order only to have problems with the checkout process. This is very likely a result of trying to purchase far too many items. People that place small orders may not have this problem. Both times after clicking "checkout" my browser froze or instead of taking me to the checkout screen I was redirected to the homepage for LEGO shop at home. Once I was lucky and was able to click my browser "back" button and my items were still in my bag. Once I refreshed and my bag was empty. I had to enter the Design or Element ID's for each item again (start all over). I was so happy that I had made a list of parts so that I could easily find everything again.

Bricks and Pieces Pro's:

-Option of buying parts that interest you instead of buying the whole set or minifigure
-May be cheaper than ordering from bricklink (sometimes... other times bricklink may be cheaper).
-Better selection than "Pick A Brick"

Bricks and Pieces Con's:

-Checkout process can be brutal if technical problems occur (bag emptied). This may be the fault of my browser and not the LEGO site? I most often use Mozilla Firefox.
-Shipping fee's (not free for orders over $75 like most regular orders on LEGO shop@home)
Long delivery times. A order once took 4 weeks to make it to me. Keep in mind this is a custom order (lots of parts to locate for your order) and usually ships from a different location than ordering other items from LEGO shop@home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StClair on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

StClair
Count
Count

Re: Bricks N Pieces alternative to Pick A Brick online order

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Be careful. Its easy to spend way too much with Bricks and Pieces. Both of my last 2x orders were over $100 before tax and shipping.

Shipping for my order (way over $100) was $2.95 to the US.

The site states that Bricks and Pieces orders do NOT contribute to VIP points (but one can spend VIP points on a Bricks and Pieces purchase)

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 pm

I recently discovered some parts that I don't think were available until recently on Bricks and Pieces that I found interesting:
Design ID 98011 hoods
Design ID 61183 Anakin hairpieces in various colors
Design ID 30135 Grey Civil War style cap
Design ID 95674 black bowler hats
Design ID 18639 Friends hairpiece

Here are some parts that may interest some of you:
61506 cowboy hat
98289 miner hat
98279 police hat
48235 turban
19545 "gypsy" hat/hairpiece
30167 Johnny Thunder hat
18347 Police hat
98133 Ninja hood
19266 colonial wig
beard 93223
beard #2 93069
luke skywalker hair 92746
long unisex hair 88283
short girl hair 62711
Dooku hair 64798
Robin hair 99930
Friends A- 18639
Friends B- 18842
Friends C- 18641
Friends D- 92259
Friends E- 92258
Friends F- 11256

Short legs 41879 (lots of colors)

Regular legs 73200 (lots of colors)

Torso's (lots) 76382

Some special Printed legs are listed by individual/unique design ID's

musket 2561
pirate pistol 2562 (or is it 2502)
SF gun 95199
cowboy pistol 30132
Sword 18031
Axehead 53454
Katana 93055
shield round 17835
gladiator sword 18034
sack 17833

new decor part (fence) 19121
"wagon wheel" decor 15744

Check out Chima heads and Minecraft parts also (some are expensive though)

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 pm

BEWARE!

I once thought I was ordering Bigfig parts (arms) and parts for a dragon (individual parts). They showed as individual parts but after I placed my order somehow this registers (at least in my situation) as an order for the WHOLE dragon!

I noticed 2x days later that my order was far more expensive than anticipated. I called customer service. The agent was INCREDIBLY nice. For each individual part that I had ordered I was being charged for the whole dragon! instead of (I'm making up the price because I don't remember) $0.50 for a dragon arm I was being charged (again an estimate because I don't remember) $30 for an entire dragon. Be wary of animal (individual parts) and bigfig parts if they are available. The agent was very cool and was able to delete these items for me from my order. We miss a great eagle from a LOTR set though so I ended up paying for a great eagle (which arrived with my delivery) and I was ok with that. Again I forget the exact amount but it was $10-15 for the entire great eagle.

Best wishes everyone.

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am

Which Dragon were you able to order and how were you able to order the Great Eagle? Usually they have this rule where they won't sell Licensed figures/animals.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm

StClair wrote:Be careful. Its easy to spend way too much with Bricks and Pieces. Both of my last 2x orders were over $100 before tax and shipping.

Shipping for my order (way over $100) was $2.95 to the US.

The site states that Bricks and Pieces orders do NOT contribute to VIP points (but one can spend VIP points on a Bricks and Pieces purchase)
Thanks, at one time i wanted to order those connector plates to snap together to make a heart but chickened out when shipping was a mystery amount. $2.95 is very reasonable.

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:23 pm

grommom wrote: Thanks, at one time i wanted to order those connector plates to snap together to make a heart but chickened out when shipping was a mystery amount. $2.95 is very reasonable.
And they ship pretty fast, too.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:
grommom wrote: Thanks, at one time i wanted to order those connector plates to snap together to make a heart but chickened out when shipping was a mystery amount. $2.95 is very reasonable.
And they ship pretty fast, too.
Thanks, loading my cart with weird stuff like those plates, Dumbledore 's beard, a witch hat. This is great to fix up some minifigures i bought online that are missing accessories. I looked at brick link but the person with the beard probably does not have the hat I want etc.

frackbricks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by frackbricks » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:21 am

In a previously post I added a link for ebates. You still gets your ebates and I would assume it is the same with other rebate sites. You do get the rebate from your brick and pieces order.

I sometimes will look at B&P to look at prices to compare to BL.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:21 am

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:Which Dragon were you able to order and how were you able to order the Great Eagle? Usually they have this rule where they won't sell Licensed figures/animals.
I'm visiting with my family. I'll send you info later tonight when I return home. It was the most recent dragon in the castle theme. I should be able to send you design id info later tonight. And yes it a Great Eagle. At the time the wings were NOT listed but the body was and I thought I would buy one in case I needed a replaceable. I'll get back to you later tonight.

Hoth-Wampa
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Hoth-Wampa » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:31 am

You can get points and free shipping, you just have to add a set or gear from the main Lego site
then at check out you'll see free shipping for order over $75 in Canada or USA and Vip points too

Eric

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:54 pm

StClair wrote:
I'm visiting with my family. I'll send you info later tonight when I return home. It was the most recent dragon in the castle theme. I should be able to send you design id info later tonight. And yes it a Great Eagle. At the time the wings were NOT listed but the body was and I thought I would buy one in case I needed a replaceable. I'll get back to you later tonight.
Thanks. I wanna get some of those bigfigs/monsterfigs as well. =D

larsnelson76
Peasant
Peasant

Post by larsnelson76 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:33 pm

For the eagle and dragon remember that you could get one cheaper on bricklink. An eagle goes for around $7 on bricklink. I will definitely check it out because sometimes rare parts on bricklink go for way more than Lego is willing to sell them to you.

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:36 am

StClair wrote:BEWARE!

I once thought I was ordering Bigfig parts (arms) and parts for a dragon (individual parts). They showed as individual parts but after I placed my order somehow this registers (at least in my situation) as an order for the WHOLE dragon!

I noticed 2x days later that my order was far more expensive than anticipated. I called customer service. The agent was INCREDIBLY nice. For each individual part that I had ordered I was being charged for the whole dragon! instead of (I'm making up the price because I don't remember) $0.50 for a dragon arm I was being charged (again an estimate because I don't remember) $30 for an entire dragon. Be wary of animal (individual parts) and bigfig parts if they are available. The agent was very cool and was able to delete these items for me from my order. We miss a great eagle from a LOTR set though so I ended up paying for a great eagle (which arrived with my delivery) and I was ok with that. Again I forget the exact amount but it was $10-15 for the entire great eagle.

Best wishes everyone.
They will also randomly charge you more for some parts. They will not ask, they will just charge an additional amount to your credit card a day or two after your order. It has to do with some of the cross listing of parts. The site will show you part #123 for $0.20, but when you order the system will convert it to a corresponding part #789 that is actually $0.50. Customer service is a bit hit or miss on refunds in these cases.

King

wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wyldjedi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Wall of text here, but I have lots of good info. I have been using Bricks and Pieces (B&P) for quite a few years now. Lego has made the process easier than it used to be; only in the past year or so they started showing prices for each part. Before, you would create your order and submit it, wait for a confirmation email, and then see the list of prices of each part. You would then call a rep to make the order based off the email. Now you can do it all online (or still over the phone).

Many times, figure parts and weapons (usually from licensed sets) will not ever be available, such as the Jawa heads and torso from the UCS sandcrawler, or that awesome blaster of Star Lords in set 76019. Those items never show up in the part list. They don't want this being your main source of figures and skipping on the sets. Inventories change all the time and sometimes items like capes will only show for a few days and then go out of stock for weeks or months. They also may tease you and have the item there as a placeholder - an faded icon showing out of stock, giving you the hope that the part may eventually become available. It is aggravating as sometimes that part never gets in stock even through the entire life of the set it came in. I think they like dangling that carrot on a stick just to mess with me.

Ok, this part you need to pay attention - you could end up with some major headaches ordering through Bricks and Pieces! Sometimes parts may show as 'in stock' but not actually be. Their inventory system is sometimes spotty, especially on parts from retired, soon to be retired, popular sets, or rare colors/parts. The website is not an exact reflection of what is in the warehouse! Usually this is not an issue for most parts, but for rare, odd, or some figure parts especially, you may have to wait for a restock. This also means you could get stuck with multiple/partial shipments as they ship items as they are available. I have also had some orders stuck in limbo with a 'In Warehouse' or 'Waiting for new stock' status. When that happens, that means the order has been sent to the warehouse to get processed, but they are currently out of those parts. However, you do not know if/when the order will be completed. I have a few orders in that situation and were sitting like that for over a year before I called to cancel. I have had some parts show as in stock, and immediately after the order online, get a notification that they are on backorder. This has happened on orders with Galaxy Squad torsos and legs even when there was over a year left before the theme was to be retired. If you have doubts about availability, I was told that you should call with part numbers and ask the service rep. I still have had inventory problems happen even when a service rep said they had all the parts. There could be some other guy that got their order in just before yours and wiped out their inventory.

Unless there are defects, returns/refunds are nearly impossible. If you order 100 each of legs, torso, heads, helmets and weapons, and all they have left are the legs and helmets, you are stuck with just those. It is really sucky when you have a huge order and any one part is contingent on the rest being available. A week later they may find a few heads, so you are stuck paying separate shipping on those, making those 10 heads costing you far more than they would have on a completed order. And then they may find a few more of those weapons and send you those later on repeating the process. This has happened to me a while back more than once so I learned to be careful. This is why you need to be extra careful when ordering figure parts on retired/retiring sets. Well, any minifigure part really.

Here is a really strange quirk: some of the exact same items are cheaper in the PaB online store. For example - plain black minifigure legs, Element ID of 9339 and design ID of 73200 - 62 cents in Bricks and Pieces, but only 45 cents in PaB online. Same exact item but different price. Very odd. Generally, if it is available in PaB online, it will be cheaper there instead. You cannot combine Bricks & Pieces orders with PaB online orders either.

If you are used to BrickLink, then you may want to be careful as some color names do not match up with them. I think Earth Green in the Bricks and pieces really means dark green in BrickLink and Dark Green in B&P is really just normal green. Brick Yellow is really Tan, Dark Stone Grey is Dark Blue Grey and so on.

As mentioned, you can sometimes lose items in your bag/cart or other odd technical glitches. Along with those inventory/shipping issues, I pretty much always get the part lists written down first and call the rep to make the order that way. Less chance of a screw up.

I have ordered/spent more at Shop @ Home through Bricks and Pieces than the normal ordering of sets like most do. For the most part, B&P is great and better than it ever has been, but thought I would let you all know my experiences with the system.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:Which Dragon were you able to order and how were you able to order the Great Eagle? Usually they have this rule where they won't sell Licensed figures/animals.
I'm so sorry. I was visiting my family when I saw your message and then when I returned home I realized that I had forgotten to pay my electric bill for the first time in years. I make a better child than an adult... Anyway I'm very sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. The dragon was from Castle: Dragon Mountain 70403. It looks like all of the parts are currently out of stock. I believe it was the legs and arms that I ordered (and they automatically charged me for the full dragon). Here is a screenshot that I took when I was calling customer service to figure out why my card was charged nearly double because of the multiple FULL dragons being charged.
LEGODragonbag.jpg
At that time many of the parts were marked as available. Now only the tail is available. The tail section to one of the dragons is marked available (design number 40395). I believe this is the tail section for Smaug. You'll have to let me know ASAP if you somehow end up getting a full Smaug dragon for less than $30.

The great eagle was from one of the Hobbit or LOTR sets. I ordered the body thinking that I may want a replacement in the future in case the clips for the wings break. Currently the body is listed (from battle of the five armies set 79017) but it is marked out of stock. The design number for the body is 11467. This design number pulls up both eagles released in the Black Gate set, Tower of Orthanac and battle of the five armies sets. Both are currently marked out of stock.

I've tried looking through my original order that resulted in the dragons being ordered but had no luck finding the part (design number) that resulted in a dragon order. I'm sorry. I wish i could have been of more help. Maybe you could try calling customer service? As someone else pointed out though bricklink is probably going to be your best price for a whole dragon or eagle. Best of luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 pm

wyldjedi wrote:Wall of text here, ...
I agree with much of what you've said. Some items appear in the inventory of sets but seem to NEVER be in stock. I kept hoping to get Princess Jasmines hairpiece from the LEGO Disney Princess sets but I've never found it in stock. I've had the same experience with lots of other items. From my experience this has been a great way though to get some heads and other parts that I really wanted but weren't available in PAB and without buying the whole figures. I especially liked some of the Chima heads, LEGO movie and Ultra agents heads. Also I was able to order lots of armor parts, helmets and weapons. Nothing incredibly rare though like LOTR helmets. That would have been wonderful. I was also able to get some star wars helmets but most were a bit expensive.

Thank you so much for your input and information. I've only placed a few orders so I'm still learning.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Placed another order with Bricks and Pieces. Found some new interesting parts. I've compiled a list of some of the new items that I either ordered or considered ordering.

Be sure to check out the "printed tiles" and "interesting parts"

Interesting parts
Window bow 20309
Ninjago new part “holder” 20612
Beard 15501
New part round 1x1 round plate with shaft on top 20482
“Shaft crown for helmet” brown 11437
New architectural part (in ghostbusters firehouse ) 20310
Dragon “Norbert” 41535
Welding torch 13793
Mini figure sculpts 85863
Printed Tiles
City car? Box 21906
City Dozer box 21905
City Heli set box 21904
Simpsons “Bumblebee man caught in sting” headlines 21658
Simpsons “Mom Monthly” 21659
Simpsons “monkey” 21656
Simpsons “Angry Dad!”21661
Simpsons Valentine? Bee 21657
Simpsons “scandal” 21660
Soda top 21610
Dr Who K-9 23811
Heads
Heads with no printing various colors 3626
Female big smile yellow 21463
Smile with freckles juvenile yellow 22186
Sideburns with evil grin yellow 20234
Big grey mustache yellow 19407
Big smile (crease around eyes) yellow 23102
Elderly (Ninjago Airjitzu temple) yellow 23215
White eyebrows and mustache yellow 20619
Sideways wide smile yellow 18886
Smile female yellow 23093
Male scarred eyebrow yellow 20427
Ultra Agents RED 18282
Various heads Yellow from set #60130
Ninjago ghoul head 6115116
Flesh color Gimli
Flesh color Superman 23099
Jurassic World “Simon Masrani” M. Nougat color 21818
Hats
Fedora 61506
Samurai helmet 98128
Samurai lower half 98129
Hair
Female police from detective agency 13251
SW Fin 21778
Elves 20020
Friends pink and blue 15677
Friends different colors 18636
Bald (Shakespeare) out of stock though 15637
CMF Granny in brown 11256
Elvis brown 98371
Sheldon style hair 99930
Joker hair (several colors) 64798
Avengers Black Widow 20877
Short Spiky (Nightwing) 18228
Torso (various torso’s 76382)
Simpsons “Snake” 6116991
Portal 6124656
Christmas (holly on blazer) 6115894
Marge 6116668
Sensei Wu torso 6123735
Coffee guy torso 6122988
Coffee guy legs 21902
Sensei Wu legs 23179

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Sun May 15, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks for this thread. I have been eyeing the Bricks and pieces site for a while, but had such difficulty navigating it, finding unique pieces, etc.

The "hacks" were incredibly useful and found a bunch of great things. Thank you.

Also, after I did the order and added some pick-a-brick, I did get free shipping on both. and the promotion. Strange.

Thanks all for your information. This is truly the best place for information.

david

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue May 17, 2016 6:31 pm

dho7622u wrote:Thanks for this thread. I have been eyeing the Bricks and pieces site for a while, but had such difficulty navigating it, finding unique pieces, etc.

The "hacks" were incredibly useful and found a bunch of great things. Thank you.

Also, after I did the order and added some pick-a-brick, I did get free shipping on both. and the promotion. Strange.

Thanks all for your information. This is truly the best place for information.

david
Thank you! I was actually beginning to think I had wasted my time by typing it all up. I'm so glad that it helped! I'll have to check again soon to see if new items are available. The Nexo-Knights have some parts and accessories that look interesting to me.