Black Mold inside Sealed Older sets

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Black Mold inside Sealed Older sets

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:47 am

Has anyone opened a sealed older set only to find mold lining the inside of the box?? Also, a bag of parts opened up? Anyone experience these? I opened up a sealed Lego studios set and that's what I saw inside.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Black Mold inside Sealed Older sets

Post by vynsane » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 am

Eww... Did you buy it new? Otherwise it sounds like it was opened and resealed, and in the intervening time moisture somehow got inside.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:13 pm

vynsane wrote:Eww... Did you buy it new? Otherwise it sounds like it was opened and resealed, and in the intervening time moisture somehow got inside.
Yeah thing is it was sealed. It's the vampire crypt and you have to push on the perforated lines to open the box. It looked like black dust by the time I opened it lol

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Yuck, was the cardboard at all wavy like it got wet at some point?

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:55 pm

grommom wrote:Yuck, was the cardboard at all wavy like it got wet at some point?
It didn't look like it got wet in the pics. Maybe it just dried well or something.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:
grommom wrote:Yuck, was the cardboard at all wavy like it got wet at some point?
It didn't look like it got wet in the pics. Maybe it just dried well or something.
Sorry it was gross but at least you can clean the lego and pitch the box. Don't want to risk the mold spreading top other stuff in your house

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 pm

grommom wrote:
Pumpkin Ecks wrote:
Sorry it was gross but at least you can clean the lego and pitch the box. Don't want to risk the mold spreading top other stuff in your house
Lol no need to apologize. Good thing is it's dry and it was like dust/powder so just wiping it off the brick works.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:52 am

It must have just been in a non-climate-controlled room prone to high humidity, likely a basement or garage, for a really long time.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:10 am

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:
grommom wrote:
Pumpkin Ecks wrote:
Lol no need to apologize. Good thing is it's dry and it was like dust/powder so just wiping it off the brick works.
Glad it was salvageable! I'm now rethinking keeping my stash of stuff in the basement. We don't have much rain so low humidity, but i bought this stuff for future gifts and would hate to give a moldy gift, especially because i have board games along with lego.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:16 am

Yeah, unless you have a finished/climate-controlled basement, it's not the best place to store that type of stuff. Even without rain, basements are just prone to humidity because hotter/less dense air rises and cooler/more dense air settles. The more dense the air, the closer it gets to dew point and has to release moisture.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:48 pm

vynsane wrote:Yeah, unless you have a finished/climate-controlled basement, it's not the best place to store that type of stuff. Even without rain, basements are just prone to humidity because hotter/less dense air rises and cooler/more dense air settles. The more dense the air, the closer it gets to dew point and has to release moisture.
Good point. I should check if i can move the humidity thingy we have from another room. The previous owner used one of the rooms for wine storage. He was going to install one of those wine keeping cabinets until his friend pointed out that this basement was almost perfect for wine and he probably just needed a thing (i forget what it's called) to keep track of humidity. ..anyway that little dial is in another room in the basement so i could probably snag it since we don't keep that much wine in the house. The basement is finished but it's at least 10 degrees cooler than upstairs, so it's not like a dirt floor basement, but is not like regular house either. Then again upstairs isn't climate controlled either. ...at least they're not in the attic!