Purchasing Lego bricks @ Legoland California

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Tjones
I'm New !

Purchasing Lego bricks @ Legoland California

Post by Tjones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey all, going to be at legoland California around Xmas time and as this will be the first visit I was wondering on how exactly they sell their bulk Lego. I've read that there is one store within Legoland land that sells bricks by the lb. Is this true and how much is it? Also wondering if anyone has purchased bulk Lego in legoland and did they find it a good value?

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: Purchasing Lego bricks @ Legoland California

Post by legohunter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Right, only one store at California Legoland has pick-a-brick wall, and its bricks are charged by weight but not by cup. This store does not belong to TLG, so the price and selection are different from lego store.

I don't remember how much it cost for each pound. In fact, I didn't pick up any bricks from last visit because I did the Math and it was not economic.

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:17 am

Hi! You can purchase bulk LEGO at this store in Legoland California:
http://california.legoland.com/en/explo ... _shopping/

The price is $9.99 per 1/4 lb. + 7.75% sales tax. Prices are subject to change without notification.

They also do brick engraving there, but only on 2x4 bricks. When I went, they only sold 2x4 bricks on keychains/cellphone charms, which I found frustrating. :???: If I had known, I would have just brought some plain bricks with me.

Tjones
I'm New !

Post by Tjones » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Wow, that price is insane. If you buy 75 2x4 bricks, that's 1/4 of lb (yes I actually weighed it out), that comes out to roughly $10.76after the taxes or $.14 per brick. Yes it is still cheaper than buying from PAB from the S@H, but still expensive for bulk buying.

It's too bad, was hoping to really stock up.

Thanks for the info though, still going to check it out when I'm there. I'm sure i'll cave and end up buying a few things.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm

When I was at the Discovery Center in KC a few weeks ago PaB is 10$ per 100grams. Surprised Cali is cheaper!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Bump!

Anyone been to Legoland California recently? Has their prices changed? And what was the general selection like?

If you are taking a visit, I would really appreciate some photos!

Ben
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 am

I was at Legoland California back in the spring. I think that the price has gone up -- maybe $11 per quarter pound now? The selection was definitely different than the PAB walls in store, with a lot more plate.

If they happen to have a small piece that you really want like 1x1 or 1x2 or 1x3 plate, especially if it is in an unusual color, then it might be worth getting a little bit, but anything larger than a 1x1 brick is almost certainly cheaper on BrickLink unless it is a rare color or you are paying shipping to Canada on a very small number of pieces.

A related suggestion: You might want to look into Legoland's shopping pass. It lets you in to the park for an hour to shop at no charge, and they even refund your parking (which is something like $10) if you spend $20. Details are available here: http://california.legoland.com/FAQ/shopping/. I did a little bit of shopping, buying just enough to get my parking refunded, and then took a few minutes to have a quick look around the park. Overall, I wasn't impressed. While the Lego models were definitely impressive in terms of their magnitude, the park seemed a little bit worn and in need of some maintenance in places (Lego doesn't seem to stand up to the California sun all that well). The Disney parks were definitely better maintained. The ride selection for adults also seemed weaker at Legoland than at Disney.

Edit: I just read the shopping pass page more carefully, and it makes it look like parking is $20. According to the parking page, cars are $15.

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:21 pm

I was at the LEGO Club House last Thursday, July 7th. There were a lot less PAB bins than my previous visit years ago, but they had the following sand green pieces:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.