Is this a good start to Lego?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Is this a good start to Lego?

Post by thehotsung » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:41 pm

I never had any Lego before today since I didn't have money when I was a kid so Lego was never an option until now.

I bought the following set on clearance but they are all different theme.

I bought:

Pirates of the Carribean Black Pearl $70
LOTR Helms Deep $90
Star Wars millenniums falcon $100

Which one should I keep or should I keep all of them? I know that POTC might be discontinue but it could be use as a pirate ship that could fit in with future Kingdom/Castle/Fantasy them.

I can also pretend it the black ship from LOTR.

I think waiting for sales and Lego products not lasting as long as they used to, I really just want to buy mostly Sci-fi and Fantasy with Lego City when they are on sale.

Weathertop was on sale for $40 but i still think that too pricy. How do you guys collect lego, are all these set worth these prices?

What do u guys think. Are these good price?

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Is this a good start to Lego?

Post by sadowsk1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 pm

The prices are good and the sets are good choices IMHO. Welcome to the AFOL community!

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 pm

sadowsk1 wrote:The prices are good and the sets are good choices IMHO. Welcome to the AFOL community!
All three are good choices? What does AFOL mean? Finally I'm now part of a community! :mrgreen:

kevin7215
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin7215 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm

AFOL - Adult fan of LEGO

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Great choices and pretty good prices. Nice first few sets.

I find I have to severely limit myself to a couple themes or I would spend way to much money...and have even less room than I do now (I like to keep my sets on display).

If you like those 3 themes I'd recommend sticking with those. Since PotC is being discontinued it shouldn't be to much of a money sink in the future.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:20 pm

I finish building Helm Deep. One of the brick had wrong color and through the building process I was paranoid in fear I would be missing a few bricks. Does this happen often or is it because it made in China?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 am

As others have said, the three sets were purchased at a good discount, and are pretty cool sets. They will serve as a good primer for your intro to LEGO and can give you a good idea of what themes you might want to collect further.
thehotsung wrote:I finish building Helm Deep. One of the brick had wrong color and through the building process I was paranoid in fear I would be missing a few bricks. Does this happen often or is it because it made in China?
Which piece was it that was incorrectly colored? Sometimes the instructions can make it look like one color but it really is supposed to be another. This was a big problem with the sets about two years ago, where black looked like dark gray, dark gray looked like light gray, etc...

Incorrectly packed pieces do happen, but it's highly rare. That said, there are incredibly few pieces in full-on sets that have parts made in China - most of the Chinese pieces are used in magnet sets, keychain sets, and collectible minifigure packs.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 am

vynsane wrote:As others have said, the three sets were purchased at a good discount, and are pretty cool sets. They will serve as a good primer for your intro to LEGO and can give you a good idea of what themes you might want to collect further.
thehotsung wrote:I finish building Helm Deep. One of the brick had wrong color and through the building process I was paranoid in fear I would be missing a few bricks. Does this happen often or is it because it made in China?
Which piece was it that was incorrectly colored? Sometimes the instructions can make it look like one color but it really is supposed to be another. This was a big problem with the sets about two years ago, where black looked like dark gray, dark gray looked like light gray, etc...

Incorrectly packed pieces do happen, but it's highly rare. That said, there are incredibly few pieces in full-on sets that have parts made in China - most of the Chinese pieces are used in magnet sets, keychain sets, and collectible minifigure packs.
No it was the wrong color but I too notice that the instruction wasn't that great. One of the special Lego didn't even look like it picture. It just the basic lego with 2 hole in it. Instead of 4 dark grey and one white grey to match the entrance of Helm Deep i got 5 dark grey brick instead. I end up finding an extra light grey brick in one of the later bag but by then I finish building Helm Deep.

Helm deep is false advertisement? The throne room is not higher than the entrance at all, and in those picture it was higher. Very disappointed with Lego false advertisement. This was the main reason I bought Helm Deep because of the various height.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 am

^ You're right about Helm's deep having a deceptive picture, at first I thought it was just the angle that the picture was taken at but when I looked at alternate images I realized that the ramp from the throne room to the outer wall is a lot steeper than when it's sitting on a flat surface. Not a good move on LEGO's part :down:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't understand why they didn't give us more brick so the Throne room can be bigger than the entrance yet still shorter than the horn tower?

I wouldn't even say this is a little thing, I would say this is a big thing and false advertisement is not the way to go.

I understand that it is easy to mod Helm Deep to make it super huge but would a few bricks even hurt?

Adding on to that, I am constantly trying to understand why we need to buy more items (Urk Hai army) to make Helm Deep bigger? Why couldn't Lego set the $140 price tag with a taller throne room and the extra wall from Urk Hai army?

Even for $90 I don't think it a good deal considering unlike past castle and fortress, Helm Deep does not fully connect. I expected that the throne room walkway would stick to the rest of the fortress yet it doesn't, which is mind-boggling.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Perhaps you should voice your concerns in an email to LEGO customer service if it's troubling you this much.

jeffmace
I'm New !

Post by jeffmace » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:24 am

Yes all very good sets. I love the Black Pearl. All the ships are great builds. As for keeping them, its up to you. Do you want to sell them to buy other sets? You can also start building your own creations with the pieces that you have from those sets. A lot has to do to how much room you have to keep the sets. Some people have small apartments and get rid of sets due to space issues. If you love a set then keep it, if you want to buy more to build, then sell the others on eBay and get new sets. That is the beauty of LEGO, you are never done with them.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 pm

thehotsung wrote: Weathertop was on sale for $40 but i still think that too pricy.
Why do you think that is pricy? At $40 it's $20 under retail and with 430 pieces, is less than $0.10 a piece for a license set. If your collecting Lotr sets, Merry is exclusive (which is needed to complete the fellowship) and two ring wraiths are also exclusive in this set.

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Yep some nice choice sets. Over the next few weeks/months you'll want to decide if you want to mainly collect, build sets, or buy Lego and design your own sets.

peterr88
I'm New !

Post by peterr88 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Great choices and pretty good prices.