Another Lego scam busted

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Another Lego scam busted

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:10 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/deputies-fla-woma ... 10129.html

This one is definitely not as elaborate as the bar code scam. Very sad and pathetic. After hearing these things it always makes me wonder if I have purchased stolen lego off ebay.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Another Lego scam busted

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 pm

I assume most things I buy on ebay are stolen. Especially the things I get from China and not because of a cheapness of quality type thing, it's just that some things are so unbelievably inexpensive I don't know how they clear any profit.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:54 am

sadowsk1 wrote:I assume most things I buy on ebay are stolen. Especially the things I get from China and not because of a cheapness of quality type thing, it's just that some things are so unbelievably inexpensive I don't know how they clear any profit.
I doubt seriously what you are getting from China is stolen, given how severe penalties are and how easily transaction can be tracked in a non-free society. It is more likely they are from way way far up in the supply chain, and the wholesaler(or their family) is doing a little retailing on the side.

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 am

Wow $900,000 on his ebay and PayPal accounts. Seriously he was pretty close to being about to retire and live off the interest! Oh well all it takes is one clerk to notice somethings not right.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 pm

NIGELTTF wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:I assume most things I buy on ebay are stolen. Especially the things I get from China and not because of a cheapness of quality type thing, it's just that some things are so unbelievably inexpensive I don't know how they clear any profit.
I doubt seriously what you are getting from China is stolen, given how severe penalties are and how easily transaction can be tracked in a non-free society. It is more likely they are from way way far up in the supply chain, and the wholesaler(or their family) is doing a little retailing on the side.
Sigh, I was going to say some rude things but my better half advised me after running a few comments by her that I should just relax. She's right.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 am

sadowsk1 wrote:
NIGELTTF wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:Sigh, I was going to say some rude things but my better half advised me after running a few comments by her that I should just relax. She's right.
Did I say something wrong? I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 am

This scam is nothing new. It's called the trojan horse. Usually it's done by people working in the back of the store lifting heavy items. A group of guys working at the store would fill the box with what they want. They usually get a family member to buy a large box item that needs to be picked up at the back of the store. I remember hearing about this back in the 80s. They just put a new twist to it but still the same.

Gooker1
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Gooker1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm

LOL - it's more fun when it's filled w/ Lego sets!!!

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Ha, they tracked him with the TRU rewards card. Just had to go after that extra two percent bonus.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Another thief might be busted in the future when they misread the "steal" of a deal thread...

"So, hey guys. Just wanted to post here I filled up a Magical Barbie Dollhouse box with a thousand dollars worth of Lego. Went to the register and it rang up 79.99! You got to try this. And don't forget your rewards card!"

All of our hunting for the mythical collection at a bargain price could be ruined by people like these. I'm glad they got caught.

Jared