Fan Expo Canada 2012

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Fan Expo Canada 2012

Post by unclephn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:39 am

So I was at the Fan Expo yesterday here in Toronto, and much to my surprise, there was a LEGO booth there! It was pretty small, with nothing more than several LEGO sculptures for photo ops (Hulk, Gandalf, Yoda, R2-D2, Jango Fett), and a small play area with a few bins of bricks. There was a raffle where the person who correctly guesses the number of bricks in the Jango Fett sculpture wins a Death Star, which I believe will be announced after the convention is over.

But here is the best part; they were giving away 5000062 Darth Maul for free! And when I say they were giving them away, I mean it was like they were handing them out like there was no tomorrow. They had cases and cases of them! I managed to score seven of them for myself!

Anyone who's in Toronto and plans to attend the expo, they're schedule of giveaways is Superheroes for today (Friday), LotR on Saturday, and Monster Fighters on Sunday. If I wasn't gonna be out of town this weekend, I'd be there circling that booth like a vulture!

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Fan Expo Canada 2012

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:44 am

Wow, if I had known Lego was going to be there I might have changed my policy of never atending Fan Expo. Maybe next year.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow this is cool! Too bad the tickets ranges from $25-45 each.

So unclephn, since you have 7 of these, mind sending one over here? ;-)

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Wow this is cool! Too bad the tickets ranges from $25-45 each.

So unclephn, since you have 7 of these, mind sending one over here? ;-)
Thats nothing compaired to SDCC! I was there and couldn't even get close to the freebies. So if anyone is going and want to share, I'd be most grateful and would even be more than happy to compensate you for your time and trouble.

cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cornbread » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:33 pm

While you're mailing one out to Legobrandon, you might as well mail a second to Vancouver for me ;)

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat as Buttmunch... be willing to pay for one of these if anyone is going to pick some up.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm more than willing to sell or trade to you guys! Feel free to PM me with an offer. I'm out of town for the next few days, but I'll be sure to reply when I get back.

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 pm

pm'd

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:33 am

so what was the giveaway for the different days? day 1 was the shirtless maul, day 2???

esurient
I'm New !

Post by esurient » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I have a few shirtless darth mauls up for trade, PM me if you are interested.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 am

We were there yesterday (Sat) and there wasn't a give away - one of the folks at the booth said they had some LoTR posters they were giving out (but only at certain times) but we didn't bother going back for one. She said that they were giving out a Monster Fighters figure (Vampire?) today.
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

KEinc
I'm New !

Post by KEinc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am

What was the Superhero figure for Friday?!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:05 am

IAmWillGibson over at Eurobricks posted a full recap of this event. Here is what the giveaway items were:
IAmWillGibson wrote: Full recap!

Thursday, STAR WARS: morning [not sure for how long], Darth Maul polybag giveaway.
Friday, SUPERHEROES: multiple times throughout the day, Build-a-logo, where you collect pieces and build either the Superman or Batman logo. [I don't know how good an idea this was, on account that people needed over a hundred 1x1 bricks, so counting that out made the line really long. Should have been pre-packaged.]
Saturday, LOTR: LEGO LOTR posters [at least two that I saw] available at various times throughout the day.
Sunday, MONSTER FIGHTERS: Build-a-Lord Vampyre, at least two times during the early part of the day, and later in the afternoon they were handing out smaller polybags of a glow in the dark spider with web, skeleton, bat, and jewels with glowing stickers. I forgot to record the bag number for this.

There may have been other stuff I didn't see, because I wasn't around the area much more than once or twice a day. But yeah, pretty good for such a tiny display. Hopefully it'll be bigger and better [and more prominent] next year! And go to my blog to see the awesome sketch I got Greg Hyland to do for me!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm

This sounds like a fun expo. Does the US have something like this?

Anyway, the superheroes thing sounds like the shields that kids could make at TRU this summer in the US.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 am

atmail35 wrote:This sounds like a fun expo. Does the US have something like this?
This actually Canada's equivalent to the San Diego Comiccon, but nowhere near the insane size and scale! Much like the SDCC, it's heart and soul is comic books, but has grown almost exponentially in recent years to encompass many facets of pop culture (ie. anime, horror, video games, sci-fi, etc.).

Much to my pleasant surprise, this is the first year that LEGO has made an official appearance at Fan Expo. Judging from the giveaways it seems like I picked the right day to attend! Here's to hoping that LEGO's presence at Fan Expo next year is bigger and better!