Hilarious Craigslist post...

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
mgs
Peasant
Peasant

Hilarious Craigslist post...

Post by mgs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bab/3444438070.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All kids want to play with LEGO's, they are great toys that let your kids imagination run wild. We've all been there when your kids open a LEGO box with a big smile, open the box see a gazillion pieces and then ask you to spend hours trying to put it together! No longer do you have to endure that scene because
MyLegoBuilder is here! We build the LEGO's your kids won't. And at a price that can be less than a Starbucks fix!

LEGO Builder for hire!

Your kids want to play with LEGO's as soon as they tear off the wrapping paper and MyLEGOBuilder makes that happen!
Fast & Friendly LEGO building Service
100 piece sets or less $5.00
101-200 piece sets $10.00
201-500 piece sets $15.00
501-1000 piece sets $20.00
1001+ piece sets as quoted.
Gift wrapping available at extra charge.

LEGO City sets, LEGO Friends set for your daughters, LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Kingdoms, LEGO Ninjago ALL LEGO's

MyLegoBuilder at aol contact us today!
Seriously???

cupishalfempty
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Hilarious Craigslist post...

Post by cupishalfempty » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 am

Whoah! And to think I've been offering my professional Lego building services for free?!?

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:51 am

Haha - that's great.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

That... hurts my smart-maker.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I should looking into doing that too lol

C&T
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by C&T » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 pm

heh I'd thought about that idea too but didn't think anybody would actually pay me :-D

I like craigslist alot & have bought/sold several things there.

Also searching CL for legos ads is a good handle on local prices wether they are ridiculously high or not. I remember some clown trying to sell 2 completed/built medium size pirate ships, no minifigs, no instructions, no boxes for $300, bargain !!! LOLOLOL

another idea I thought about was starting a LEGO rental company, ie. I'd buy alot of expensive sets & then rent them out to people for 1-2 months so they can build/play with it & then get it back & rent it to somebody else. The biggest problem to solve seems to be how to verify the pieces are correct for returns, this would be very time consuming & likely negate any profits because renting costs would be something like 30% of set reasonable for 1-2 months. Stranger businesses have started, like renting camera lenses etc

thenos
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by thenos » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 pm

http://www.pleygo.com/how-it-works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the worst idea I can think of. Logistical nightmare.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 am

thenos wrote:http://www.pleygo.com/how-it-works/

Also the worst idea I can think of. Logistical nightmare.
I also think this is a crappy idea why rent them when you could own a set for about the same price(fan) or about 2x more(super fan). Maybe the mega fan but I would rather have a $40 set I could have forever. There is also the issue of lost pieces, damaged pieces & germs :sick: Plus I am sick of seeing it posted on r/lego every week lol

C&T
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by C&T » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 am

yeti79 wrote:...
why rent them...
ha, that's great !! I hope she makes that business model work !!

Why rent ? a better question is why buy ? why would I want to clutter up my apt/house with 1000s if not 10,000s of little plastic pieces that will hold my or my kids attention for (most kids) a few months at best ? The resale value of legos is what, 10-15% of the purchase price ? not very good compared to some similar big ticket items like cameras, bicycles or even computers if they aren't too far behind technology

another reason to rent, if I want to create bigger mocs, why spend literally $1000's for 1 or 2 big mocs ? then what to do with all that plastic ? I know its difficult to believe/accept, but not everybody who touches a lego brick becomes enthralled and spends the next 15 years collecting, building, posting pics etc. Likely most people go thru the lego phase in a year or 2 or 3 and then what to do with all those plastic pieces ? even during that time are they actually using the bricks 100% ? doubt it, maybe 2-4 hours/week, the rest of the time those pieces are just sitting there depreciating in value rapidly

but all this is predicated on user demand, I don't see lego building becoming some kind of super popular hobby much more than it already is. maybe similar to clay modeling or glass blowing (for adults) like have a lego studio you can rent by the hour & have access to alot of bricks vs. buying all that stuff. but how many "artist" types are attracted to building things out of plastic pieces ? I think it's more of an engineering skill brain effort vs. splashing paint on a canvas feeeeeeeeeeellllllings

:) :)

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 am

The Lego builder for hire is just stupid. Half of the fun of Lego is building the sets, even for (most) kids. The prices they are charging are also ridiculous. $5 to build a 100 piece set that probably cost only $10-13? $10 for a 200 piece set? $15 for a 200-500 piece one? so a $20 set with 220 pieces would cost $15 to get built, almost the same price as the set itself? Of course the prices get more reasonable as the piece count gets bigger, but the lower end are WAY to high (they should be like half what is currently being charged). Also, what's to stop me from removing pieces and having the set hit a lower price? If it's a 115 piece set I would save myself 5 bucks and assemble the last 15 pieces myself. The idea is just flat out horrible.

The renting on the other hand might not be that bad of an idea. Why rent instead of buy? It's the same idea with anything people rent. Why rent a movie you are only going to watch 1 or 2 times when you can own it forever? Why rent (lease) a car for 3 years when you could buy one it another year or two? It's cheaper and you can go through more if you are easily bored.

I can see this idea actually being decent for kids who easily lose interest in their toys and want something new constantly. For 15 bucks you could rent your kid 3-4 play sets a month, each with up to 250 pieces. You can't even buy a single new 250 piece Lego set for $15. It looks like you can only rent certain sets though, and the max is 5400 pieces so I don't think this would appeal to people just needing bricks a short time for a MOC. If they allowed you to check out larger amount of bricks and pick and choose then I could see it appealing to MOCers as well.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm

This isn't as stupid as it seems. Today's children really don't give a darn about building the set, they just want to play with it. You can see all the comments on Amazon reviews about how it tok to long to build. LEGo instructions have been so dumbed down, doing it in steps and only one piece at a time, separate bags and everything. It's a joke. There are no more children, just bigger babies.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Eh, it might be an ok venture if he were actually charging reasonable prices, but they are so out of whack it's not even funny. He is charging almost as much to build the smaller sets as they actually cost...

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Lol!!! I wonder if anyone decided to do this! When I was a kid, I NEVER wanted my parents to build THE WHOLE THING!

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 pm

Playmobil is a much better toy to play with. LEGO is more for MOC and the building fun. Should get a quote for how much he's charge for a 3 piece polybag figure.