Dr Who themed "Lego compatible" toys by Character Building

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Dr Who themed "Lego compatible" toys by Character Building

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I first saw info on these a month or 2 ago. Back then I thought they were only sold in Europe...then today I was in a store called Comics N Stuff and they had 6 or 8 different Dr Who sets! (in San Diego, Ca)

I refrained from buying as I have a new collection planned that I am about to start but I was tempted. Here is some info:

Youtube video about minifig packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3T0VQxV9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Who Playset list:
http://www.characterbuildingtoys.co.uk/ ... -playsets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the Dr Who figure character list:
http://www.characterbuildingtoys.co.uk/ ... octor-who/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also sell them in multi packs where you can get a bunch of Daleks or all 11 Doctors etc. You can find the multi pack list if you click on the webpage link in the above links.

I was very surprised to find these on the shelves in California and I was a little excited to check them out.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Dr Who themed "Lego compatible" toys by Character Buildi

Post by melsig » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I did manage to order those Scooby Doo figures - I ordered one of the battle pack like sets and seven blind packages - and managed to get both the rare Velma and Daphne figs there, so I have the whole gang plus villains for my son for Easter. Thanks again for the tip!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 pm

melsig wrote:I did manage to order those Scooby Doo figures - I ordered one of the battle pack like sets and seven blind packages - and managed to get both the rare Velma and Daphne figs there, so I have the whole gang plus villains for my son for Easter. Thanks again for the tip!
Np, Glad it worked out for you. Did you order them directly from the Character Building website or where?

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 am

No, eBay. There are several UK based sellers selling for about MRSP plus international shipping.

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:54 am

I got one of the Character Building Doctor Who sets, but the pieces don't stay together very well and keep separating, leading to everything falling apart :(
I do however quite like the figures and have scoured ebay for the ones I want on my shelf.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 am

soulless_minion wrote:I got one of the Character Building Doctor Who sets, but the pieces don't stay together very well and keep separating, leading to everything falling apart :(
I do however quite like the figures and have scoured ebay for the ones I want on my shelf.
I have to agree with that - since I opened all of the polybags, I went ahead and assembled the figs. Scooby falls apart very easily. The others don't seem quite as bad, but they are not made as well as LEGO minifigs.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:32 pm

If there is one thing I have learned from one of my other hobbies, disc golf, it's that small variations in temperature/humidity and cool time can greatly affect plastic...when fractions of millimeters matter. I'm sure Lego is better able to control the plastic cooling variables better than some smaller companies.

That being said, even with Lego, today's Lego vs Lego from the 80's have gone down hill. The clutch power has declined by a lot. Lego from the 80's are a tight fit that won't come apart without really trying. Some Lego, I'm thinking of Hogwarts Castle in particular, I have noticed a very loose fit. I'm guessing it is because Lego outsources a lot of their production at this point.

On the bright side, well for me anyway, is that if you are an adult and are just building sets for display the lacking clutch power doesn't really matter. It is definitely a negative for kids who want to play with the sets, and who might not be quite as careful during the build as an adult.

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

I bought a bunch as LEGO will never license Doctor Who. Minifigure quality is ok, but as someone mentioned they don't hold as well as LEGO. I have the TARDIS set, cybermen battle pack, the silence battle pack, and the weeping angels battle pack. Oh, and the 11 doctors set. I have no interest in the brick sets beyond the TARDIS. I'm mostly just interested in the minifigs. Plastic definitely feels lower quality compared to LEGO, but not Megabloks lower quality.

The Character Building minifig design is ok...I like it better than the ugly Kreons (which look ok on the robot Transformers).

I WANT the Scooby Doo minifigs, but I will wait as much of the Doctor Who sets eventually made it to the states via specialty shops like the comic book store you mentioned and online. 3rd party sellers also sell them on Amazon. TRU has the Character Building minifig packs for a cheap $2 Here ----> http://www.characterbuildingtoys.co.uk/ ... -series-1/

Crossing my fingers that Scooby Doo sets make it to the States at TRU and other stores.

http://www.characterbuildingtoys.co.uk/ ... tion/lego/

Cobi is the manufacture which is based in Poland and make their own LEGO clone toys.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 am

I've bought a few of the minifigs for my girlfriend. We've got a Dalek, a Cyberman, and Rory. No experience with them beyond that. I'm kinda curious about them as I'm starting to expand my interest to "other" bricks.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I saw the set with all 11 Doctors in it at a Barnes and Noble in Eugene Oregon the other day. I'm glad I keep seeing more and more of these in the US. I was tempted but it was 40 bucks so I passed. If I see it cheaper I will probably have to pick it up.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 am

lego the hutt wrote:I saw the set with all 11 Doctors in it at a Barnes and Noble in Eugene Oregon the other day. I'm glad I keep seeing more and more of these in the US. I was tempted but it was 40 bucks so I passed. If I see it cheaper I will probably have to pick it up.
Well, Think Geek has the set on sale today for $31.99, but I didn't check to see how much they charge for shipping.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eef4/?srp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;