Regret buying a Lego Product

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Legopilot
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Regret buying a Lego Product

Post by Legopilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Does anyone have any regrets after buying a Lego Product or wish they haven't brought it? Is it because the product just wasn't good enough or was it because it was too expensive and not worth it?

bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Regret buying a Lego Product

Post by bluemitch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pm

I regret buying the twilight. Its expensive in terms of the design which I don't blame TLG but the Star Wars guys who developed it. I understand it is suppose to be a "junk" boat, but at $90 for it is way beyond the border.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 am

As a set yes, the Twilight is pretty bad. But as a parts bucket, its pretty good. And you get Ahsoka, how can you go wrong? (That last was a joke of course.)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:22 am

I'm pretty thrifty as far as buying things for myself goes - my wife might disagree, but I almost always try to get things on sale or using store credits or whatever, so I can't say I really regret any of my purchases.

I DO regret, however, getting rid of all my childhood LEGO sets - my brother and I had a LOT and it's all gone. :|
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 am

I regret not taking care of my childhood LEGO purchases...There's well over 50 thousand bricks in my parents basement, largely chewed up, scratched and the minifigures have mostly fading prints.

I do have one regret on a purchase. I bought the 2009 Space Police Impulse set that had 'Snake' or whatever his name was; that one eyed alien. I wanted the minifigure but wasn't a big fan of the 2009 sets. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have bought it. He wasn't worth the money.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:53 am

I think the worse set I bought this year was 7590 the buzz/woody to the rescue. the car keeps falling apart. especially the wing.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:01 pm

slacker wrote:I think the worse set I bought this year was 7590 the buzz/woody to the rescue. the car keeps falling apart. especially the wing.
Agreed, I even mailed LEGO and told them I was disappointed it wasn't made to play with.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 am

Legopilot wrote:Does anyone have any regrets after buying a Lego Product or wish they haven't brought it? Is it because the product just wasn't good enough or was it because it was too expensive and not worth it?
I bought a "clickits" set years ago, and the stuff just didn't fit together well. 1351 Movie Backdrop was also kind of junky. Also Jack Stone stuff....wayyyyy too POOP oriented.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:43 am

a few years ago when I was at the LEGO store at disneyland made my usual LEGO purchase they asked me If I wante3d a free Galidor set I said sure, after looking at it I decided to give it away, took hours to do so (word was out galidor sucked), even though it was free I regret getting it. (made me feel unclean).

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

I bought an expensive set. A few weeks later, I received a 25% off coupon. Should have waited. :(

SantzHex
I'm New !

Post by SantzHex » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 am

I bought all 4 of the 2010 train sets (7936, 7937, 7938 & 7939) from S@H as soon as they were available in the US. Aside from the double VIP points promo (which amounted to 10% back), I paid full price plus shipping. If I had waited about 2-3 weeks, I could have purchased these from Toys R Us with their BOGO 50% off deal plus free shipping. I guess I assumed at the time that these sets wouldn't be available anywhere else. I contemplated returning the sets back to Lego, and re-purchasing through toys r us, but after paying to ship them back it wouldn't really have been worth it.

The icing on the cake is that I haven't had the chance to put these sets together yet. Having a new baby (now 6 months old) seems to take up what ever "free" time I once had :)

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 am

I'm not sure I've ever regretted buying Lego since I generally use sets for parts rather than actually build them. I think the closest I've come to regret is the Bionicle sets.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:43 am

Mantisking wrote:I'm not sure I've ever regretted buying Lego since I generally use sets for parts rather than actually build them. I think the closest I've come to regret is the Bionicle sets.
But even then, it was still possible to get a set and realize the parts were crap(i.e. Jack Stone) Not that it will happen to me again, given Peeron.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 am

Mantisking wrote:I'm not sure I've ever regretted buying Lego since I generally use sets for parts rather than actually build them. I think the closest I've come to regret is the Bionicle sets.
NIGELTTF wrote:But even then, it was still possible to get a set and realize the parts were crap(i.e. Jack Stone) Not that it will happen to me again, given Peeron.
True. I research parts lists on Bricklink myself.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 am

The only regret I've ever had was probably purchasing a set for one minifigure, only to have a magnet be released about a week later. Never again LEGO, never again!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 am

legitimatealex wrote:The only regret I've ever had was probably purchasing a set for one minifigure, only to have a magnet be released about a week later. Never again LEGO, never again!
If more people realize this, they might do a better job with the sets, and not try to sell a set on minifigures alone, i.e. battle of endor 8038
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:53 am

4993 Cool Convertible
The car is lame. I'm planning to tear it down & redo the rig or tractor, but unless one of them blows me away this one's being put into the parts drawers.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!