Too old for Lego?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Too old for Lego?

Post by wyldjedi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 pm

I am 37 and I grew up with Legos and have had various geeky hobbies throughout my life. From a huge comic book collection, Star Wars stuff to Gundam model kits, to video games. I think when I got to high school (1990) I dropped Lego due to the idea of being picked on. I was a runt back then and did not need anything else making me an easier target. I think When Star Wars first became licensed (1999) I got back into it a little, but I was also on my own for the first time and had no money. Unlike comic books that you only needed a few bucks every week, Lego was only bought in sets back then and generally too expensive for me. Shoot forward about 5 years and my Lego addiction is in full swing. I have thousands of minifigures now, many classic space sets still sealed in their boxes, and a wife that just laughs about my craziness. I even contemplated opening a BrickLink store of my own. Since I know my way around photo editing, I learned to make some really awesome custom foil stickers for minifig shields and torsos. The thing that keeps me going with Lego is that unlike other hobbies, you have so many options. Embrace your inner child. Dooo eeeeet!

spezsas
I'm New !

Post by spezsas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:13 am

never to old,im 42 and used to collect heroclix and kinder and many other things then got into lego sold all the other kinder/heroclix and bought lego.great site this is,any body know when the new lotr sets are out in england

OLDLEGOKID
I'm New !

Post by OLDLEGOKID » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:23 am

NO SUCH THING. I'm 50 years young me and my son love lego's . I wouldn't mind working for the company . I always build original structures. I'm presently working on a huge airport. When i retire i will do lego's a lot more.
oldlegokid

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am

All depends on what you do with them. I would say you're too old to talk them too bathtub but maybe not too old for the swimming pool with a power functions boat. :D

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I bought 7706 Mobile Defense Tank (Exo-Force) when I saw it on clearance before I became a father (about age 20) with the intentions of displaying it and of course not buying anymore LEGO. My son was born a year later and of course I had to buy him Duplo 4777 (Castle) because I grew up building castles with LEGO bricks and couldn't wait to build it "with him". It wasn't much longer before I was buying LEGO for him on Ebay and then as someone else mentioned... I bought a minifigure on Ebay and my adult collection began. I am now a bigger fan of LEGO than I was as a child. BTW I'm in my 30's and I expect to actually be building more when I retire years from now.

crewser
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by crewser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm

skeet318 wrote:How many AFoLs here actually play with their Lego. I don't mean put em together and then let em rot in a display case. I do (when wife's at work). It tickles me that with Lego s you can have Luke Skywalker battle Ninjas or Harry Potter challenge Gandalf to a wizard's duel. Every building or vehicle you build can be broken to pieces which is like battle damage.
Why do you wait for your wife to beat work? Are you afraid of what she will think or say? I already know what my wife will say, as she has already complained I spend to much time when I browse the Lego shelves at Target or Walmart. Us men really never grow up, just as long as we mature ( I am sure my wife would debate that) we should be fine. It's not like we are spending money on bad vices.

taskmasta
I'm New !

Post by taskmasta » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 pm

36 and Legos are still emptying my wallet. Will continue until my better half forces me to stop.

brickmont13
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickmont13 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm

The ghost poly bag from last Halloween was all it took for me to come out of my 20 years of being in the dark ages. Since I purchased that poly bag, I've bought all of the Monster Fighters line and about 100 other sets.

Age 30 BTW...

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Lego is one of a very good hobbies, it helps motivating mind to be more creative. I don't think playing with lego is a privilege for kids.
darbee wrote:But have to say, it all started with one little minifigure.... be careful :shock:
Yes, minifigure screwed my wallet badly.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:59 am

skeet318 wrote:How many AFoLs here actually play with their Lego. I don't mean put em together and then let em rot in a display case. I do (when wife's at work). It tickles me that with Lego s you can have Luke Skywalker battle Ninjas or Harry Potter challenge Gandalf to a wizard's duel. Every building or vehicle you build can be broken to pieces which is like battle damage.
Most of MOCs are motorized or do something - so when I build a train it move along a track and when I make a ship it not only floats but I can pilot it along the water. So yes - I actually play with my Lego builds in that sense. However, I normally do not buy Lego kits - most of my purchases are either from a local used lego dealer or from distant Bricklink dealers. Many parts that I am using are not being sold by Lego anymore, e.g. 9vdc Lego railroad track motor, 32L Technic axles, discrete magnet cylinders (banned in Germany from what I understand), Radio Control transmitter/receivers - so it takes a while for me to build anything because I do have to patiently collect the parts that I need to make a build.

charliecat
I'm New !

Post by charliecat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello everyone iam 50 years old and will be 51 this friday. I will be starting my first lego on my 51st birthday. The lego set i will be building will be the Wembley Staduim i carnt wait to start. I only recently discoverd on line how good lego is. In the past i have built wooden ships. But lego looks so much better. :-D

brickmont13
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brickmont13 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:35 pm

charliecat wrote:Hello everyone iam 50 years old and will be 51 this friday. I will be starting my first lego on my 51st birthday. The lego set i will be building will be the Wembley Staduim i carnt wait to start. I only recently discoverd on line how good lego is. In the past i have built wooden ships. But lego looks so much better. :-D

Have fun!

It's addicting, you've been warned!

charliecat
I'm New !

Post by charliecat » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:56 am

Thank you for reply. I know the tepps Minis wembley is not lego, But iam already making plans for construction with lego. :-D

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm

charliecat wrote:Hello everyone iam 50 years old and will be 51 this friday. I will be starting my first lego on my 51st birthday. The lego set i will be building will be the Wembley Staduim i carnt wait to start. I only recently discoverd on line how good lego is. In the past i have built wooden ships. But lego looks so much better. :-D
Welcome to The Toys and Bricks Forum. :-)

If you are building from the construction kit - then you are likely building from a Lego-like set
by Character Building [1] : Character Building Set 4445 - Topps Mini FA Wembly Stadium [2] is a massive set of over 1900 parts - it should keep you busy for a while. :-D

[1] http://www.character-online.com/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[2] http://www.character-online.com/product ... imate-Set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://characterbuilding.wikia.com/wiki ... uction_Set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are building Wembley Stadium from scratch using Lego - then - I would advise that you look at character building's version of Wembly Stadium to get an idea of what kind of building techniques you might fine useful.

charliecat
I'm New !

Post by charliecat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 am

Yes iam building the Tepps Minis wembley staduim the 1900 pices, Its been reduced to a crazy £49.99 in Argos stores, Was £149.99.Thank you for showing me other lego modals they fantastic. When i start the Wembley build will do a diary in the forum. :-D

C&T
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by C&T » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am

Rook wrote:All depends on what you do with them..
me too :) I'm in the 50+ club now & hoping to control my lego hobby better this 3rd time around

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:11 am

haze, don't look at LEGO like it's a kid's toy. It's a highly sophisticated, interlocking brick system. Also SOOOOO many adults play with Lego, it's ridiculously awesome. When I found out about how many AFOLs there are, I thought: I could build for the rest of my life. I'm only 16 though so...

Hope this helps!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 am

Also, those age ranges are just a suggestion. They have to put them on the box. ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 am

vynsane wrote:Also, those age ranges are just a suggestion. They have to put them on the box. ;-)
And finally, although we buy LEGO at a toy store, the way we use it makes it an adult thing. Lol.

MrVEP
Knight
Knight

Post by MrVEP » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:24 am

^^^^
Yeap, no such thing as age restrictions for Lego.

39 years here and I started last year with my son.
Like others members warned- It only takes a couple of minifigures and you are hook.

It happened to me.