Too old for Lego?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
haze
I'm New !

Too old for Lego?

Post by haze » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi guys,

Im sure this topic has been breached 1,000 times on here, so sorry in advance if you guys have had this discussion many times. I have always loved legos since I was a kid; im 25 now and haven't had any legos in years, but recently I have really had the urge to buy a few sets and start building again, but part of me feels like legos are a "kids" toy and I should have moved on to something else to occupy my time by now. Have any of you had similar reservations before? Are there many "older" lego fans out there?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Too old for Lego?

Post by hatcher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Millions of us, and counting. Welcome. Embrace your inner AFOL (Adult Fans of Lego) and enjoy one of the most addicting hobbies around.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

haze
I'm New !

Post by haze » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Welcome, haze. For me, I have always collected one form of "childish" thing or another (or multiple things at the same time) since I was a child - LEGO, GIJoe, Star Wars figures, Transformers, and Comics... so I didn't have that kind of self-doubt when getting back into LEGO a few years ago. Have you been a "grown up" for a while, now getting back into LEGO after a complete drought of "childish" things? That would probably be hard to come to terms with - but you needn't worry, there is a large community of adults who are LEGO enthusiasts.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

darbee
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darbee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Welcome Haze! I'm like you, only started getting back into Lego this past year (and I'm 30). Only difference, I have a little boy who I can 'buy' legos for and play with together, that way don't feel to bad =)

But have to say, it all started with one little minifigure.... be careful :shock:

Cementups
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cementups » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm 38 and just got back into Legos myself. I always took the time to stroll through the Lego aisle a the stores but always kept myself from buying. But now having a 7 and 4 year old, I now have a reason to buy them. My daughter loves them. My boy likes them but at 4, he wants to do 100 things at once so he isn't quite focused on them yet.
Welcome and enjoy the build!!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm

27 here, my family makes fun of me.

I no longer talk to them.

Makes life a lot easier. :)

scotth510
Peasant
Peasant

Post by scotth510 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Welcome back! I am 37 years old and had a period of no Lego from childhood until the Star Wars stuff started coming out in 1999. I started collecting with the intention to share them with my kids. I know have a 5 year old and a 1 year old and my oldest loves Lego and almost crapped his pants when I pulled out the huge tub I had collected. All I can say is enjoy it and buy whatever interests you.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm 42. I gave my Lego collection away in my mid 20's to a friend who had had kids. I figured I wouldn't be using them much and the kids would have more fun. I encountered Mechaton about six years ago -- it's now called Mobile Frame Zero -- and it rekindled my love of Lego. I'm not going to stop playing with Lego until I'm too old to pick up the bricks.

LowestFormOfWit
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LowestFormOfWit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 am

I'm also 25, and have no qualms about my renewed love of LEGO. They were the only toys my parents saved from my early childhood, and last year I had them ship me my old box. Since then I've probably doubled or tripled my LEGO collection. I'm also a part of the Mobile Frame Zero community alongside Mantisking. It is to blame for reviving my interest in LEGO.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

darbee wrote:Welcome Haze! I'm like you, only started getting back into Lego this past year (and I'm 30). Only difference, I have a little boy who I can 'buy' legos for and play with together, that way don't feel to bad =)

But have to say, it all started with one little minifigure.... be careful :shock:
I bought a set called "Microwheels" for my nephew, saw it was on sale and bought one for myself on a whim 9 years ago. I never owned any Lego as a kid.

Now half of my basement is full.....yeah it is addicting.

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:15 pm

32 here. Before getting back in Legos, I collected and played Heroclix (and comics). Times got hard and I ended up selling all my clix. When I was able to get back into clix, my wife suggested Lego instead as a family hobby. She also pointed out Lego did DC/Marvel, Lotr, and even Star Wars( something Wizkids has not been able to license). My purchase of Luke's Landspeeder finally sealed the deal and I've been collecting sets at a frantic pace.Just do it, Haze. Legos are fun when u r dazed! (What?)

MrMultilegos
I'm New !

Post by MrMultilegos » Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Well Lego does have themes for older people like Technic,Mindstorms,Architecture and rumored Simpsons

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 am

You're never too old for Lego, or any toys

das_mikey
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by das_mikey » Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 am

After playing the LEGO video games, I started buying sets at 44. Never too old.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Never too old. My midlife crisis is Lego. :lol:

maarek
I'm New !

Post by maarek » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 am

never ever too old. My Dad (56) is building LEGO with me now and I'm 33. :) His favorite theme is city and Trains. :)
>-< Maarek >-<
Flickr PennLUG

danielnzlego
I'm New !

Post by danielnzlego » Wed May 29, 2013 1:50 pm

No way, Lego is for everyone. I grew up with Lego and I'm now 36. Last year I decided to fulfill my childhood dream of being able to buy any Lego I wanted (instead of just what my parents would get me). I started off with the 3 new trainsets and then started getting all the City sets. Now I've gotten all the Star Wards and Creator sets, so I am thousands and thousands of dollars in it, but I love it. It brings me so much joy building the sets. My 2-year old son loves helping me, and I've even gotten my wife into it (I bought all the farm sets for her). Lego is such an incredible toy/pasttime, I love it. You're never too old as long as you enjoy it.

sparkart
Peasant
Peasant

Post by sparkart » Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 am

I've come full-circle with LEGO. I lost interest in LEGO when I was about 8. Got into scale plastic modeling. Then, into sci-fi plastic models, later in high-school and college, got into resin and vinyl figure model kits. I finally got back into LEGO when I was 39-years-old. I'm 43, now. I like that LEGO models are more resilient and easier to fix when they break (I live in earthquake country).

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 am

How many AFoLs here actually play with their Lego. I don't mean put em together and then let em rot in a display case. I do (when wife's at work). It tickles me that with Lego s you can have Luke Skywalker battle Ninjas or Harry Potter challenge Gandalf to a wizard's duel. Every building or vehicle you build can be broken to pieces which is like battle damage.