LEGO Stores & LEGO Shop Black Friday 2013 Sales

Forum for 2013 Black Friday LEGO sales & deals!
LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: LEGO Stores & LEGO Shop Black Friday 2013 Sales

Post by LegoFanTexas » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:42 am

Brickred wrote:Amazing discounts on magnets, duplos and hero factory enjoy the black Friday
Yep, a huge long list of crap...

I've been saying it for awhile now, ever since TLG decided they didn't need resellers, then they didn't need to discount exclusives...

They are getting a bit big for their britches, seems like they think they are too good to be a normal company, their product doesn't require that they care, it will sell anyway.

Maybe it will, for awhile... but people are funny and have memories...

To this day, most people know what the New Coke disaster was and Coke never really fully recovered from it, it gave Pepsi an opening that they took and held onto since.

TLG would be wise to keep that in mind, lest they do something stupid like move all their manufacturing to China to cut costs, only to have their product turn to crap. Once lost, you can't easily buy that reputation back.

KREO is just waiting in the wings for that...

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by LegoFanTexas » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:07 am

^ Of course, having just said all that, I did pickup a few things for the kids... the 50% off small items isn't bad for stocking suffers, there is enough there to end up with $150 worth of stuff to get the holiday set and gift card. Nothing out of this world exciting, but sure, ok, they can have $150.

zztoy
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by zztoy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:44 am

You are so correct, without resellers their business would NOT be what it is today. The resellers are who are keeping their BRAND alive. The resellers are who probably make up for 65% percent of their sales and allowed their brand to penetrate the global marketplace. Let's remove that factor and they would be like Playmobil.

Looks like some of those Chinese companies are making some great look a likes far far less expensive...I see more resellers selling those look a likes and it will increase very soon. The fact that you now see toysrus/fao and now target selling on eBay suggests a lot. Why would those companies need eBay when they have established web sites that should severe that purpose?

Cheers.

legome
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by legome » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:49 am

even worse for us CDNs.. everything that is on sale in the US isn't necessarily on sale here.. the only set I wanted was the Chima Eagles Castle.. low and behold, not on sale on the cdn site... and it's $50 not $40...

major fail

RainingBoroSI02
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RainingBoroSI02 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:17 am

I just used it as an excuse to pickup some of the non-traditional stuff like the calendar and business card holder. If I can get 30% off the major retailers sets else where, the only draw to do business directly with Lego is the exclusives and with a reduction in offers that promote those sales, the result is me just passing more of them up.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 am

my lego store opened up @5am. Not everything discounted online was in stock but I got a peel-off coupon for any lego set under 16.99 good for only black friday. Picked up a 2nd express train, some base plates, and goto some more kits for my toy drive donation.

ss7man
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ss7man » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:46 am

I am very disappointed. Lousy sale. Even the triple points last week was nothing stellar. I wonder if their marketing sales dept read these forums to learn upsetting your hardcore fan base is very bad for the long run. My kids are not going to TLG shop this year.

ENeuman600
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ENeuman600 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:54 am

I had two orders through Lego online at 2:00 am and the orders were smooth process. However, first order was in process because i had two order in my bag yesterday. then other order which has two items over $199.99 each and now at customer service, seems that internet having technical problem again. and noticed about 7 am to 8 am, lego shopping is kind of slow to bring it up on my screen.

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:40 am

To be fair to this crapulous sale, the site was only crashed for about 15 minutes after midnight, probably so they could roll out the changes. After that it worked perfectly for me. I was able to use my stockpiled 3x VIP points to create my own discounts. I'm also glad they put the threshold for the GC at $149 rather than $150 so I could just buy my mods and be done, no padding needed. Same with the Xmas set at $99.

To the person who asked about the 1 GC per household limit, that clause is usually a technicality meaning they *can* pull it from multiple orders, but rarely do. Keep the number of your orders in the single digits and you'll likely be fine.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:27 am

I'm sorry but after last weekend when it crashed for several hours LEGO should have hired people to fix it. This isn't a new site, they have had a website for years and it's running like a mess now and there is no excuse for that.

ENeuman600
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ENeuman600 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 am

the Lego group should have create new website for shopping only so the lego company can have at least two or three different domain website address.

To break down domain website address:

http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shopatlego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mylego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (lego employee user only)

So that http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has gigabytes/terabytes of memory storage so, my suggestion to lego company to create new webiste http://www.shopatlego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for international shopping include UK, Canada, US and other countries to keep seperate from http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it will go smoothly and not having slow down retrieve the infromation from shop at lego.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:40 pm

zztoy wrote:You are so correct, without resellers their business would NOT be what it is today. The resellers are who are keeping their BRAND alive. The resellers are who probably make up for 65% percent of their sales and allowed their brand to penetrate the global marketplace. Let's remove that factor and they would be like Playmobil.

Looks like some of those Chinese companies are making some great look a likes far far less expensive...I see more resellers selling those look a likes and it will increase very soon. The fact that you now see toysrus/fao and now target selling on eBay suggests a lot. Why would those companies need eBay when they have established web sites that should severe that purpose?

Cheers.
All I have to say is LOL. Resellers are no where NEAR 50% much less 65% of their sales. Go check sales data. As far as the Chinese knock-offs... they are still knock-offs. Do you choose to buy a real Iphone, or a Chinese Knock-off? The reason they are made cheaper, is because the product is inferior.

As far as why they sell on ebay, it's about expanding their market even more. If you can sell 5 extra units by going on ebay, why wouldn't you? It says absolutely nothing about their NEED. It's business... you always want to expand your market of who you can sell to.

I can't believe people being this upset about a lack of sales is causing this. This goes to show that Lego has allowed it's product to get discounted to the point where people now EXPECT a discount rather than paying full price. Granted this should tell Lego to check it's price points, but they've been near the holy $0.10/piece and they still take flak.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:08 pm

I ended up going to the Mall and getting a few things. I was amazed at the number of people who were there to get the pull card and just cash in on the free item. I guess to get the free set up to $16.99 you had to purchase an item $4.99 or more. People were grumbling about not being able to apply the $16.99 to a higher $ value set. I felt bad for the employees, they were so patient with all these people who were clearly not there to buy LEGO (to try and get free LEGO yes. but not interested in buying anything else).

Are the mini modulars being discontinued? My store was OOS, but I'm thinking maybe 20% is a decent discount.

I got the Keychain coupon...AND it is frustrating that they didn't offer any of these discounts on the Pre-BF sale, causing me to have to go in a second time. But I guess their strategy worked!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:23 pm

^Which Mass store did you go to? I normally go to the Natick one but wondering if the others are bigger / better or not.

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by LegoFanTexas » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:18 pm

ENeuman600 wrote:the Lego group should have create new website for shopping only so the lego company can have at least two or three different domain website address.

To break down domain website address:

http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shopatlego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mylego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (lego employee user only)

So that http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has gigabytes/terabytes of memory storage so, my suggestion to lego company to create new webiste http://www.shopatlego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for international shopping include UK, Canada, US and other countries to keep seperate from http://www.lego.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it will go smoothly and not having slow down retrieve the infromation from shop at lego.
That is, in short, not how websites work...

The problem is not having multiple domains, after all, Amazon.com is a single domain and they don't have any problem selling 20 million items a day...

The problem is their *-poor backend database systems that have nothing to do with the web site and everything to do with order processing and fulfillment.

They just have amatures running the site, that's all.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Luciant wrote:
zztoy wrote:You are so correct, without resellers their business would NOT be what it is today. The resellers are who are keeping their BRAND alive. The resellers are who probably make up for 65% percent of their sales and allowed their brand to penetrate the global marketplace. Let's remove that factor and they would be like Playmobil.

Cheers.
All I have to say is LOL. Resellers are no where NEAR 50% much less 65% of their sales. Go check sales data. As far as the Chinese knock-offs... they are still knock-offs. Do you choose to buy a real Iphone, or a Chinese Knock-off? The reason they are made cheaper, is because the product is inferior.

As far as why they sell on ebay, it's about expanding their market even more. If you can sell 5 extra units by going on ebay, why wouldn't you? It says absolutely nothing about their NEED. It's business... you always want to expand your market of who you can sell to.

I can't believe people being this upset about a lack of sales is causing this. This goes to show that Lego has allowed it's product to get discounted to the point where people now EXPECT a discount rather than paying full price. Granted this should tell Lego to check it's price points, but they've been near the holy $0.10/piece and they still take flak.
Agree on the reseller part, most reseller do not buy from Lego directly anyway, so Lego is not losing sales by them, more like resellers are angry that they cannot make that big of a profit from crappy sales like this. For Chinese knock-offs, they came a long way, yes, they are still knock-offs, but ever since Lego build and manufacture their stuff there, we knew it was trouble, and eventually they might come pretty close to the real thing. I think the question then will be Do you choose to buy a real Iphone for $500, or a much improved Chinese Knock-off for $200?

Totally agree with what you said about using Ebay as another access on selling, it is proven it worked, and that is why Ebay is still around after this many years, it has followers, some only buy from them.

I personal is upset that they are enforcing no discount on exclusives from other retailers, while they are not making that big of an effort to compensate for that, $5 off in points with a purchase of $100 on your NEXT purchase was and even a bigger joke now. A lot of their licensed or non-licensed sets were, are, hopefully will not continue to be above $0.10/piece, but most are, maybe not for americans, but definitely they are everywhere else in the world. Honestly, by moving their factories to countries with cheap larbor already net a gain. Also I remember reading somewhere that their quarterly profit report show they did better than the year before two year straight. This is like the case on why Apple rarely have to discount their products before was because there was a lack of competition, also mainly because people still blindly support them. From a business point of view, if I can sell my product for a 300% gain why should I discount it say down to 100% when people still bite at 300%? Sure we will give them a 10% with the points system when they buy enough from us, that is still 290% profit. What us fans are asking is, if you limit other retailers that would rather make less by selling the sets to us at 100% markup, then be ready to sell us sets ocasionally with 150-200% markup. Also none of this overstock crap either, we want exclusives, the stuff that they limited and what most of us really want.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Went my local store ( after getting 30-50% off sets at Walmart an hour earlier). Got the Palace Cinema and the PAB box and christmas set 2.

Suprised how empty the store was this monring. Got 2 free chains with the scratchers and they had sets like the Orc forge (31) and quinjet (55) in the discount area. Someone before me won $250 with the scratchers, they said one scratcher was as high as $1,000, but i didn't see that won.

They had tons of the Halloween minifigs set for 50% off at 7.48, so I had to get one of those since they are sold out online. :)
Last edited by Marcus70 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Dulait, I agree with you. I think you hit a good point with the nerve being struck: No discount on exclusives (which we could live with albeit it not happily), and then not 'showing some love' to attract customers to their stores like every other retailer, assuming we would buy regardless. I would bet their Black Friday sales will not be very much different than other normal days due to it.

I guess it comes down to Lego doesn't really NEED to sell things directly itself, as the major retailers do a fine job of this anyway. Sure, they make more profit selling it directly themselves (maybe/maybe not since they also have to pay out B&M expenses instead of just order processing), but ultimately they know they are not going to do the volume of business like Walmart or Target. I don't think it's a great way to continue to build your brand, but it's increasing their margins, which hopefully they are banking for future periods where the market wanes again like it has before. The lack of originality in sets they are producing next year indicates to me that they might need those funds soon.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:^Which Mass store did you go to? I normally go to the Natick one but wondering if the others are bigger / better or not.
I normally shop at Braintree. Sometimes I go to Natick or Burlington. The Braintree/Natick stores seem to be about the same size while Burlington is smaller.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Cool. I think I have only gone to the braintree store once (South of Boston?) and it was after LEGO started hiring a third party to do the shipping (When I started having issues) 3-5 years ago. The store was empty and the woman looked annoyed. So I went to Natick and the woman I knew from a closed Worcester store said that the company that ships them things had computer issues and never sent her store anything in two weeks and she only received clothing so she hide the holes with that. :lol:

My new oder, with no triple points, went through I just hope I get the stuff soon, they are for my Christmas display.