Anime recommendations for young viewers?

The chit-chat fun that is not related to LEGO.
StClair
Count
Count

Anime recommendations for young viewers?

Post by StClair » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Any recommendations for PG anime shows (or shows similar to anime)?

I've been very hesitant over the years in regards to letting my son watching anime. Its very difficult to trust the ratings.

We've started watching Voltron: Legendary Defenders and love it. Try if if you haven't yet.

In the past we've watched:
The Legend of Korra
Sherlock Hound

I'm heard good things about Case Closed and Last Exile but I don't want to start them only to find that several episodes in that there is content that I don't want to expose my son to.

We seen most of the Studio Ghibli films and love them.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Anime recommendations for young viewers?

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Last Exile is a good one, highly recommended. It can be kind of slow moving at times and there is a bit of violence, but no worse than seen in Last Airbender/Korra.
Also, anyone who likes the Studio Ghibli films should check out Mamoru Hosoda's anime films: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Boy And The Beast.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:Last Exile is a good one, highly recommended. It can be kind of slow moving at times and there is a bit of violence, but no worse than seen in Last Airbender/Korra.
Also, anyone who likes the Studio Ghibli films should check out Mamoru Hosoda's anime films: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Boy And The Beast.
Thank you! I haven't seen any of these yet. I will check them out! I will of course check content advisory also before watching with my son. I just scanned through the very brief descriptions of each on imdb. They look very interesting. Thanks!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:18 pm

How old are we going for?

Avatar is a great pick, fantasy violence but nothing horrible. I'd say Korra is for a slightly more grown up show, but again nothing too bad.

How about cartoons? If you haven't watched Gravity Falls it's an amazing fun kid show that I love as an adult and nothing too bad in it at all, just very weird at times. (The last episodes are called Weirdmageddon.)

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:How old are we going for?

Avatar is a great pick, fantasy violence but nothing horrible. I'd say Korra is for a slightly more grown up show, but again nothing too bad.

How about cartoons? If you haven't watched Gravity Falls it's an amazing fun kid show that I love as an adult and nothing too bad in it at all, just very weird at times. (The last episodes are called Weirdmageddon.)
My son is 13 BUT I shelter him from things that most wouldn't at his age. He is on the autism spectrum so I REALLY focus on encouraging and reinforcing appropriate behavior. So things that most 13 years old would watch without a second thought I don't introduce to him.

We LOVE Gravity Falls but don't have a way to watch it. We've watched several episodes. We also love Chowder, Scooby-Doo (new and old) and Steven Universe (also don't have a way to watch it although we bought a few episodes). Thanks!

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:02 pm

I'd definitely second Summer Wars. It's highly relevant in today's online-focused world, and has some great messages about family and friends thrown in for good measure. And the animation's beautiful.

Also seconding The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It's one of those films that I'd still label as beautiful, even though there's nothing particularly jawdropping about it in the traditional sense: it's just a brilliant slice of film portraying more-or-less every day life with a scifi spin. It can be fairly emotional, but also teaches good life lessons about right vs. wrong.

Have you and your son watched The Secret World of Arrietty?

For movies specifically, you could look up Metropolis, Steamboy, and Origin as well; I've enjoyed all of them for the stories/messages but they might be bordering on scary or tense, depending on personal tastes.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Another show I'd recommend is Wakfu (similar to anime), I had lots of fun watching it with my family.