Vancouver LEGO Store! Finally.

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
peanut
Knight
Knight

Re: Vancouver LEGO Store! Finally.

Post by peanut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah I wouldn't actually buy anything, it would be purely tourist type thing next time I'm in Vancouver :-) Whenever I pop in at the Portland area store it seems huge in comparison to here, it's great!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Article posted on the Vancouver Sun:

VANCOUVER -- The final pieces of a business deal that will allow Danish toy maker The Lego Group to open its first-ever British Columbia store this April are snapping into place.

“We’re thrilled,” said Katrina Perkins, marketing director at Vancouver’s Oakridge Centre, the pending location for the famed Lego brand.

“(Lego) has a wide universal appeal to a lot of people. Kids love it, but there are a lot of adults who love it as well,” Perkins said.

The toy company, now 80 years old, has a growing presence in Canada, with stores in Calgary and Toronto.

Perkins said the Oakridge store is expected to be about
2,000 sq.ft. and located close to a children’s play space.

“The store is very dynamic. It’s interactive. There is a lot of fun stuff happening in there,” she said.

A spokeswoman with The Lego Group declined to comment on the company’s move into British Columbia, noting a formal lease agreement has yet to be signed.

Lego has seen continued growth over the past five years, with double-digit growth rates in sales, according to its corporate website.

Future plans outlined on the site include further expansion into the U.S. market, the world’s largest market for toys, and Eastern Europe.

China, Mexico, Brazil and India are also identified as countries with key growth potential for the company.

Perkins said Oakridge’s youthful demographics and central location likely played a strong role in attracting the company to Vancouver.

Families make up about 50 per cent of Oakridge shoppers, with the balance averaging between 25 and 55 years.

She added: “We’re always trying to bring in the latest and greatest retail concepts to our shopper in Vancouver. If we can bring in a retailer of a calibre like Lego, we’re thrilled to be able to do so.”

So how large would 2,000 sq.ft. be?

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Legobrandon wrote: So how large would 2,000 sq.ft. be?
About 45' x 45' . That seems like about twice the size of most LEGO stores I've been to .

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 am

I wish this lego store would have enough revenue to cover up the cost. Oakridge mall is one of the high-end mall in greater Vancouver.

Out of topic, I think Zellers at Oakridge mall have a hard time to hold up.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:35 am

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:
Legobrandon wrote: So how large would 2,000 sq.ft. be?
About 45' x 45' . That seems like about twice the size of most LEGO stores I've been to .
In average, about 2 units of nowaday apartment at Vancouver.

tnology
I'm New !

Post by tnology » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am

I'm guessing the Lego store is opening at the spot where HMV just closed at, it's at the entrance of Safeway and right by the play area for kids. It's also about 2000sq ft. there too.

gumby
Peasant
Peasant

Post by gumby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm

tnology wrote:I'm guessing the Lego store is opening at the spot where HMV just closed at, it's at the entrance of Safeway and right by the play area for kids. It's also about 2000sq ft. there too.
The location you're referring to has become Ingledews for quite some time already...

I take my kid to the play area at Oakridge at least once a week, and I often sit there facing the Benetton store. Benetton is closing (it was pretty much empty last night) and my wife overheard the manager say that "another company made a proposal for their location". It is quite a large spot though...

Looks like I'll be sitting there staring into the LEGO store in the near future. :)

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:26 pm

There is now a landing page for this store: http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Vancouver/LandingPage.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

The folks over at Vancouver LEGO Club says that the soft opening of the store is going to be April 13, 2012 (Friday).

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 pm

^ Yeah the soft openings are usually a week or two before the official grand opening weekend. I'd suggest visiting the store before the grand opening to check out the PaB wall. They might have some good parts. And of course, it may be your first opportunity to pick up the new Marvel sets!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 pm

unclephn wrote:^ Yeah the soft openings are usually a week or two before the official grand opening weekend. I'd suggest visiting the store before the grand opening to check out the PaB wall. They might have some good parts. And of course, it may be your first opportunity to pick up the new Marvel sets!
:-) I'm trying to resist purchasing anything until the Grand Opening. But I don't think I can walk out of the store empty handed. I wonder if they will have anything marked on sale?

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

^ Most likely not, I'm afraid. When the Fairview store (here in Toronto) first opened, they only had the current waves of sets, while the Sherway store (which opened the year prior) had some older sets. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think they'd bother stocking a brand new store with stuff that's already on sale. They'd make tons more money on current, regular-priced merchandise.

But like I mentioned, definitely check out the PaB wall. There may be some interesting parts in there.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I have to admit, the Vancouver store is very small and exactly like the Seeatle one. I was expecting it to be at least the size of the Portland one. This is going to be a very cramp store during the weekends and the grand opening celebrations. Also, this kinda bugs me a bit... but there seems to be way too many employees in that tiny store (10+). :???:

Regarding the location in the mall, its very good as its right in front of customer service and kids area. You can also see it clearly coming from the food court. Definately a plus for that!

They have all the Marvel sets and for exclusives, they have Death Star, Imperial Shuttle, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge (to name a few). No Tantive, Republic Dropship, Medieval Market Village or Fire Brigade to be seen so I would assume those are gone for good.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Ice wrote:I have to admit, the Vancouver store is very small and exactly like the Seeatle one. I was expecting it to be at least the size of the Portland one. This is going to be a very cramp store during the weekends and the grand opening celebrations. Also, this kinda bugs me a bit... but there seems to be way too many employees in that tiny store (10+).

Regarding the location in the mall, its very good as its right in front of customer service and kids area. You can also see it clearly coming from the food court. Definately a plus for that!

They have all the Marvel sets and for exclusives, they have Death Star, Imperial Shuttle, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge (to name a few). No Tantive, Republic Dropship, Medieval Market Village or Fire Brigade to be seen so I would assume those are gone for good.
:sad: Was hoping for a bigger store. And are you sure those employees weren't VLC members? They said something about being in the store meeting fellow LEGO fans. And did you purchase anything? :-D

Oh btw, how was the PAB wall and did you recall seeing any of these: Image

Don't think I'll make it out to the store tonight, but will definitely visit the store on the weekend.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't think so as they were all wearing yellow LEGO aprons. Maybe its just because its a new store, hence the reason why there's so many employees there.

Didn't buy anything as everything was full Canadian price. Now I'm scratching my head even more on what to buy now (to get the mini store set and TC-14). I just hope they have a good sale on Star Wars for May 4-5.

Regarding PAB, I didn't take a look too much as they all seem to be the same at every store. Nothing really special though. :lol:

darbee
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darbee » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Legobrandon wrote:
Ice wrote: Oh btw, how was the PAB wall and did you recall seeing any of these: Image

Yup saw those key chains there and got one myself, Canadiana! lol but also somehow got conned into buying the 3 custom minifigs, guess the experience was neat... but I shelled out $20 for the keychain and the 3 minifigs! (I know I could have waited for the grand opening, but i dont think I can manage the line up hah)

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Small, cramped, noisy, too many employees and the PAB sucks. I'm hoping for a better PAB selection in the near future. Came home empty-handed 'cause I couldn't justify paying CDN MSRP.

lerico
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lerico » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Just back from the Vancouver store. The cashier was actually quite surprised that I already have a VIP membership card.

Yup. The PAB wall sucks! Just a bunch of 2x4 bricks in different colours. I guess kids will be happy, but certainly nothing for AFOL.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Try to make nice with the employees and the managers, and talk to them about the PaB wall. When appropriate, try to offer up advice on what you'd like to see in the wall so that they might try to order them. They, of course, are limited to what is available to them to order, so generally, the selection in the wall won't change much. From time to time, my local store (Fairview), will order some of the more specialty parts (ie. horses, windshields, etc.).

Occaionally, they may have parts in the back that aren't even in the wall, so it doesn't hurt to ask if what they've got as well.