Barnes & Noble Canadian Customs

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
MarsBarsArePlastic
I'm New !

Barnes & Noble Canadian Customs

Post by MarsBarsArePlastic » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:47 am

Has anyone living in Canada ever bought from Barnes and Noble? I plan on purchasing the Robie House from the Lego Architecture series, which is only $199 at Barnes & Noble, compared to $249 here in Canada.
That's a $50 difference, and $50 more to use on another set. I did a test checkout with the Robie House ($199) and Rockefeller Centre ($39.99), it totaled up to; Taxes and Shipping included, about $260.
(The total for CDN Robie House set with tax would be around $280)

The only thing I'm concerned about is any additional fees when bringing it over the border. This is my first time buying across the border online, so I am not sure what kind of fees I should expect. I know Barnes and Noble charges GST for Canadian purchases, so would I get charged extra for HST when it enters Ontario? And what additional fees should I expect?

Thanks.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Re: Barnes & Noble Canadian Customs

Post by QuagsireQing » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am

No additional fees. If you choose the cheapest shipping option, the package will be delivered by Canada Post, straight to your mailbox (or the nearest branch if your mailbox doesn't have room for it).

I ordered Farnsworth House, White House and Falingwater back when they allowed coupons, and they were just put in the parcel box of my community mailbox.

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Are you certain that B&N charges you GST? I highly doubt a US firm is charging you Cdn taxes (But i have been known to be wrong before)....

striderhiryu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by striderhiryu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 pm

They charge 5% GST for all Canadian orders hence why there is no risk of additional fees upon delivery. I think you can basically treat it as a Canadian retailer with US prices and lower taxes.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 pm

striderhiryu wrote:They charge 5% GST for all Canadian orders hence why there is no risk of additional fees upon delivery. I think you can basically treat it as a Canadian retailer with US prices and lower taxes.
That basically summarizes what I wanted to say. :)

Overall, good retailer except that it takes a lot longer than their specified shipping time. Also, I believe they have problems with their inventory system as orders often time gets cancelled (especially preorders). I think some of us still remembers about Pirates of the Caribbean. It sure caused a lot of frustration and disappointment!

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:27 am

That's right.... You folks out West scrapped the HST. I didn't think it had been implemented.... I would have thought it would still be 12%. Regardless, I still do not quite legally understand how they could charge though a foreign tax on your behalf......

Ah well, whatever works....

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:09 pm

I was once charged duty via Canada post on a package but that was a mistake I believe. It only happened once on many BN orders. I would not worry about it as they should not charge duty.

The only note of caution with BN is that packages sometimes arrive in crushed condition...
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

r1chard
Knight
Knight

Post by r1chard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I ordered from BN many times and was never charged on custom duties and fees by Canadian Customs.
I guess because we already paid 5% in taxes through our orders.
Also, they use Canada post. Moreover, they mark the package as books.