Finding the Miniseries 6 Roman Soldier

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
darth_duny01
I'm New !

Finding the Miniseries 6 Roman Soldier

Post by darth_duny01 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Some time ago I posted on the forums whether there was a way to buy the Roman Soldier Series 6 in bulk. I found out that the answer was "no". The only way was to shift through all the packages. I was also informed to order bulk sets from a local toy store and return the ones that weren't the desired figure. My question is two fold. When I "feel" for the Roman minifigure in the packaging, is there any single item that sticks out that distinguishes it above the rest of the Series 6 figures? Also is there any ONLINE website that will at least allow you to order and then return the figures? I know Lego limits to 16 but I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone has tried an online retailer how was the return experience? No hassle? How exactly did you return the item? Did you simply tell them that you found say 2 minifigs out of 16 and would like to return 14? Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you for taking your time out of the day to help me. Ebay is asking 7 bucks a pop or more for one of these minifigs and if I can just find a couple on my own it'd be great.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Finding the Miniseries 6 Roman Soldier

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm

At this point, you'll need some very good luck to find Romans in stores. Most places near me are sold out of Series 6, and are preparing for Series 7.

I find feeling them through the bag is pretty easy: the shield is large and unique, and its the only figure with the long spear this round. But being this easy also means they dont last in the stores very long.

If you dont want to part with the $7+ to get one from ebay :down: or bricklink :up:, you might try trading for a couple here in the forums. http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =33&t=5050" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option, if you have the cash (~$145 today) on hand to do so, is to buy a box from amazon.fr, keep the Romans, and sell the rest on bricklink. The other figs fetch between $2 and $4 each, so you could sell the rest for between $110 and $180 dollars w/o too much trouble. Add in $15 or so for padded envelopes to ship in, and you will likely break even. But this route is a bit of work, and not without risk (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5719&p=45992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Good luck in your hunt.

darth_duny01
I'm New !

Post by darth_duny01 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:09 am

If you dont want to part with the $7+ to get one from ebay :down: or bricklink :up:, you might try trading for a couple here in the forums. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5050

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it. I did check out bricklink however, the prices seemed relatively the same. The ones that were cheaper didn't seem to show individual figures on sale but rather whole sets?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 am

Buying 16 figs from Lego onlin does not mean that you will get any Romans. It's random. Best bet is to hit the stores especially when they came out. Walmart had the 120 fig box. I was able to get about. Your best bet is to hit the any B&M store while they still have them. And they might be on sale soon with CMF7 out right now.

BB.206
Citizen
Citizen

Post by BB.206 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 pm

As most have already said, majority of stores are sold out of Series 6. The only store that still has a good amount is Toys R Us, but you will have to pay the $3.49 price (at least at my local Toys R Us). Luckily I finished my Roman army before they series 7 showed up.

For LEGO store purchases, I'm sure you could return them in store as long as you keep the receipt and they aren't opened.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue May 01, 2012 3:08 pm

You're going to have to go the LEGO store at this point to find Series 6 : |

That said, like other people have said, the Shield is a dead giveaway that it is the Roman, but the helmet and the spear are pretty hard to mistake for anything else. He's pretty easy to feel for.

Best of luck mate.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

MakoSlade
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MakoSlade » Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 am

I have had no issues finding Romans without really trying too hard. I find myself in Target and Five Below all the time, and if they have S6 I just take a quick look for the Roman dot code. It is very distinct, it is the same as the Alien (and once, strangely, the Flamenco Dancer). Once I find that dot code I feel for the spear, which is pretty easy to spot without much work. Plus, this doesn't damage the package at all. Just feel lightly for the long spear, and make sure it isn't the Alien's ray gun beam. I figure it takes 5 to 10 minutes to track one down.

And the TRU in the New York City/New Jersey area have tons of S6 left, FWIW...

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

MakoSlade wrote: And the TRU in the New York City/New Jersey area have tons of S6 left, FWIW...
For every single series I have walked to each store around me that might have them (only Target and Walmart) each day for multiple weeks just to make sure that I don't miss them. Pretty much the only LEGO I buy because I don't want to miss out on such variation in minifigures and accessories. The minifigures are usually sold out in less than 4 days and considering there seem to be a lot of AFOLs around me, I'm not surprised. Only 3 complete sets in a box and I'm positive my stores only get one box of each series.

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Sift the bag until accessories fall to one side. Feel for the spear and tip. I could clean a new box out of Romans if I wanted to.

striderhiryu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by striderhiryu » Thu May 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Dot codes are the fastest if you've noticed a consistency in them. I check them just for fun now and was able to identify (and verify by feel) the 6 romans in 2 full boxes in just a few minutes recently.

bigdaddy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by bigdaddy » Sun May 06, 2012 5:51 am

striderhiryu wrote:Dot codes are the fastest if you've noticed a consistency in them. I check them just for fun now and was able to identify (and verify by feel) the 6 romans in 2 full boxes in just a few minutes recently.
The dot system was never reliable for me. I just spend the extra time feeling up the bags and I send my girlfriend out shopping in other stores. Back on topic, series 6 is getting harder to find by me. In target yesterday and they had an endcap with the baggies and figured I would give a shot for any romans, not expecting any. Once I found the 5th one I was really suprised, got them and two more space girls to battle the space guys from series 7 and it was a good day. They still can be found

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun May 06, 2012 11:35 am

bigdaddy wrote:
striderhiryu wrote:Dot codes are the fastest if you've noticed a consistency in them. I check them just for fun now and was able to identify (and verify by feel) the 6 romans in 2 full boxes in just a few minutes recently.
The dot system was never reliable for me. I just spend the extra time feeling up the bags and I send my girlfriend out shopping in other stores. Back on topic, series 6 is getting harder to find by me. In target yesterday and they had an endcap with the baggies and figured I would give a shot for any romans, not expecting any. Once I found the 5th one I was really suprised, got them and two more space girls to battle the space guys from series 7 and it was a good day. They still can be found
With the Roman so easy to feel out, there's no reason not to check the bag by feeling.

MakoSlade
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MakoSlade » Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

legitimatealex wrote:With the Roman so easy to feel out, there's no reason not to check the bag by feeling.
Dot Codes aren't too reliable most of the time, but when they are they save a ton of time. With the last two figures I wanted to get, Gladiator and Roman, the Dot Code was easy to spot and made finding these guys easy. But you do need to feel through the package to confirm, for sure.

When the Dot Codes aren't easy (I'm looking at you, lady Liberty and Gangster) then you gotta feel around...

darth_duny01
I'm New !

Post by darth_duny01 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:03 pm

What is the Dot Code Method?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 am

darth_duny01 wrote:What is the Dot Code Method?
http://www.wisdombeginsinwonder.com/201 ... eat-sheet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is an overview. The dot codes are not consistent. Lego may have 2-4 versions at anytime that's why you need to feel the package to double check. What I usually do, is find the one I want by both methods. Once I established the dot pattern I check the entire box since the dot codes will be the same.

if you have a smartphone, there's an app for it.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Mon May 14, 2012 6:42 am

slacker wrote:
if you have a smartphone, there's an app for it.
Oh, that's interesting, I didn't realize there's an app for it. I only use the dot code method as a back up - I find feeling the parts much easier (although there's always that moment when I've been doing it for a while when I just want to go "Argh!" and start ripping the packages apart). The curved shield is the easiest thing for me to feel in the Roman Soldier pack.

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:58 pm

darth_duny01 wrote:Some time ago I posted on the forums whether there was a way to buy the Roman Soldier Series 6 in bulk. I found out that the answer was "no". The only way was to shift through all the packages. I was also informed to order bulk sets from a local toy store and return the ones that weren't the desired figure. My question is two fold. When I "feel" for the Roman minifigure in the packaging, is there any single item that sticks out that distinguishes it above the rest of the Series 6 figures? Also is there any ONLINE website that will at least allow you to order and then return the figures? I know Lego limits to 16 but I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone has tried an online retailer how was the return experience? No hassle? How exactly did you return the item? Did you simply tell them that you found say 2 minifigs out of 16 and would like to return 14? Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you for taking your time out of the day to help me. Ebay is asking 7 bucks a pop or more for one of these minifigs and if I can just find a couple on my own it'd be great.
I found that the curved shield and spear were the best way to find them by feel. Just got my last two I needed, 27 total, took a while but its work it to see them all ranked up! :up:

Sinfanti
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Sinfanti » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I went into a TRU over the weekend and a sign above their box of Series 7 CMF translated to "No opening the packages. No feeling the packages. No using other devices." Are people weighing them now? X-raying?

Janckson is right that you can clean out the Romans really quickly, and that's why you have to be there when the box hits the shelf, because otherwise somebody already has.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 am

Why don't they just leave them behind the counter then. Do what alot of people do, just buy them and check them later. Return what you don't need.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 am

Sinfanti wrote:I went into a TRU over the weekend and a sign above their box of Series 7 CMF translated to "No opening the packages. No feeling the packages. No using other devices." Are people weighing them now? X-raying?
I stood at my TRU a couple weeks ago for 45 minutes feeling bags. The manager came by with the theft-deterrent "can I help you" but once he realized I wasn't a threat he struck up conversation with me. Even came back by to ask if I'd found the ones I was looking for. I was dressed for my corporate job & mentioned my kids so I think once he realized I had $100 worth of CMFs that I was fine to grope them.

Also, they had 1 box of S5, 2-3 S6 and tons of S7. I really filled our collections in nicely on what we'd missed since my son was born in October.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!