LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Re: LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Post by meyerc13 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am

I'm so looking forward to the Milwaukee opening, thanks for sharing all of these stories of this past weekend's openings. My wife and I will be heading down from Appleton... it's the first time we're taking a vacation together without the kids since our kids were born. While my kids love the LEGO store, they wouldn't do well with the crowds and waiting in line, so we're leaving them with my sister-in-law and making it into a weekend away. It's so cool that my wife will give up some time in our weekend getaway to do something I'm so excited about. My kids may hate me when I tell them where we've been, but I think I'll make up for it with whatever I pick up at the LEGO store.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

meyerc13 wrote:It's so cool that my wife will give up some time in our weekend getaway to do something I'm so excited about.

I'm still working on my husband about going - it's about a 2 hour drive for us, we would have to bring our son (who I don't think will stand the wait very well) and we can't stay overnight because we're scheduled to spend the following weekend in Milwaukee with his parents, so it's a hard sell. I wonder if it would be worth requesting the trip for Mother's Day...

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jeremyp4 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm

turtle1173 wrote:My son and I were there also. We were probably 8th in line or there abouts. Got there at 8:30 and there were just a few people sitting in chairs outside the store. We left and went to get some breakfast. Came back at 9 and there were just a handful at the door. So we got in the mix and it wasn't long before an actual line formed. Had a good time and got to talk to a few people. We arrived in town the night before, so we got to do our "browsing" then. Saturday morning was definitely not the time to browse! I grabbed the Pet Shop and my son grabbed the helicarrier and we immediately got in line. We were around the first few to check out and get out of there, LOL. Then we went down and got ourselves a nice yellow block for sponge bob.

Maybe some of us had some conversation and didn't even know it, LOL.
We probably did. When they moved the line my wife and I were directly in front of the circular display cases that were at the front of the store. I took a couple of pictures from inside once the doors were opened. I'll post them later...maybe you are in them.

It was for sure a fun day. I picked up the StarWars Y-Wing Fighter and my wife picked up the architecture Guggenheim Museum set.

roarimapanda
I'm New !

Post by roarimapanda » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 pm

I pm'd a few people, but haven't gotten responses and am nervous/bummed because I would really like the lego mini store from one of the grand openings but don't live anywhere near one of the stores. If anyone has good enough rep on this site (mod/ or high poster etc) and would be willing to pick me up 35 dollars worth of lego to qualify for the mini store just let me know ahead of time and I can advance pay you with paypal the 35 dollars plus shipping plus a little more for the trouble.

The store set looks awesome and if anyone is going with a friend or partner that isnt getting anything it would be very easy for you to get one still as well as me.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri May 04, 2012 2:38 pm

The line wasn't really that long today (didn't even grew much at all). Got there at about 10:40 and thought I could get in by 11:00. But in the end, it was almost noon before I got in (mainly because the line barley moved at all). :(

Surprisingly, there were a lot of kids (don't they have school?) which I find strange. For the T-Shirts, they have many sizes available so it could fit an adult too. :up:

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Ice wrote:The line wasn't really that long today (didn't even grew much at all). Got there at about 10:40 and thought I could get in by 11:00. But in the end, it was almost noon before I got in (mainly because the line barley moved at all). :(

Surprisingly, there were a lot of kids (don't they have school?) which I find strange. For the T-Shirts, they have many sizes available so it could fit an adult too. :up:
Pro-D day for Vancouver kids. We have ours next Friday. I had to get my mom to line up for me and she got an adult size too. :) I told her to get the the 4206- Recycling Truck. I'm having a hard time choosing what I want to buy for Sat. and Sun.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Ice wrote:The line wasn't really that long today (didn't even grew much at all). Got there at about 10:40 and thought I could get in by 11:00. But in the end, it was almost noon before I got in (mainly because the line barley moved at all). :(
I was there at 9:45 and got into the store at 10:30. I guess you may be the first guy at the line when I stepped out of the store. :lol: I took some photos of the line, and you could tell me who you were.

The line wasn't moving much because everyone did purchase something for the T-shirt; however, there were only three people collecting money. As a result, there was another line-up, which was for check-out inside the store.
Ice wrote: Surprisingly, there were a lot of kids (don't they have school?) which I find strange.
Yes, I am surprised with the large number of kids showing at the lego store, too. Vancouver kids were so lucky.
Ice wrote: For the T-Shirts, they have many sizes available so it could fit an adult too.

But the cashier said the store only have youth size t-shirt. The M size t-shirt could only fit for age 8 - 10, L size for age 11 and up, XL for older kid. So, there are no size for adult.
Last edited by legohunter on Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 pm

legohunter wrote:
Ice wrote: For the T-Shirts, they have many sizes available so it could fit an adult too.

But the cashier said the store only have youth size t-shirt. The M size t-shirt could only fit for age 8 - 10, L size for age 11 and up, XL for older kid. So, there are no size for adult.
Oh really? I guess I'll have to look at the shirt I got then.

BTW, the grand opening times on the site is referring to the building event, not the store (in case anyone isn't aware of that yet). Should go there when the mall opens. Didn't know about that. :oops:

Mall hours
Friday: 9:30am – 9:00pm
Saturday: 9:30am – 6:00pm
Sunday & Holidays: 11:00am – 6:00pm

Build hours
Friday, May 4: 11 am - 7 pm
Saturday, May 5: 10 am - 6 pm
Sunday, May 6: 11 am - 6 pm

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Forgot to ask, were they part of the "May the Fourth be With You" promo as well?

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Legobrandon wrote:Forgot to ask, were they part of the "May the Fourth be With You" promo as well?
If your purchase is over $75 on "Star Wars" lego, you will get both TC-14, poster, and grand opening gift(t-shirt/mini-store/mini-fig). The cashiers did strictly follow the offical announcement to give away the promotion gift.

People at the store said they had many TC-14, so I am not sure if this figure is "limited" quantity. I guess the number could be as many imperial ARF Trooper as last year promotion.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I got to the mall today right before 8:00am and there were already over 100 people in line. Got into the store at around 10:40 and walked out at 11:15. By the time I walked out, the line was out all the way to the food court and even out to the parking lot at some point. Insane. Helped build a few blocks for the R2-D2 model and got a picture with Erik.

I wonder what compensation gift the LEGO Store will provide with those who lined up for hours only to be disappointed to know they ran out of the free store set.

Walked out with a free store set, Car and Camper along with the Brick Calendar. The nice lady at the counter also let me take one of those DUPLO R2-D2 blocks. She said it was free with a SW purchase, but let me have it anyways.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

They ran out of the store sets at around 2pm. I'm very upset as I was at the checkouts with like 10-20 people in front of me when they ran out. :(

Got there at 9am and the line was all the way to the food court which was absolutely ridiculous. Made it to the store at about 2pm. Can't believe they didn't even try to offer something else instead of the store set in compensation. My 5 hours standing in line was completely wasted. I have to say, I'm very very disappointed.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think this event was very well planned. I wonder if they told the people in line outside the store that they ran out of the store sets? So did you still buy anything and are you going to go back tomorrow morning?

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Sat May 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Looks like I'm going to have to wake up early for the Milwaukee one. Maybe pop the ministore set on ebay or something to reduce the cost of gas and the sets I'm planning to get that day.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm

The staff weren't really clear at all. When I was at the "actual" LEGO store line (the square one next to Safeway and not the other line extensions to the food court), they said they had 200 left. That time, I was quite happy as I thought I would definately get a chance. However, the numbers were not even close to what they're saying. What one associate says is different from the other. You can't really trust what they say.

But like you said, this event is not well planned at all nor was it well managed. If they were going to give out limited quantities, they should have gave a token or something to each family/household. That way, we know when the exact cutoff is. If I knew I wouldn't make it, I wouldn't even have lined up. Seriously, I wasted 5 hours standing in line and getting dehyrated and starved. Not to mention, the gas money and time to drive there and back.

I asked if they would offer a TC-14 for $35 purchase or something else instead and they wouldn't give a budge at all. I got so upset that I didn't even buy anything afterwards. No way am I going back tommorow. No way am I standing in line for 5 hours to only get disappointed. I've had enough of them. Period. :down:

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Here are some pictures from 9am (store opens at 9:30). Bear in mind that the lineup is not 1 straight line. In fact, it consists of many many packed S's which makes it much longer than what one would think. The actual LEGO line is a huge square in the open mall area consisting of many many more S's. Takes about 2-3 hours to finish it. I have included the waiting times just so you can get an idea.

In the left picture, janitors and security are about to make more S's line as the single line is about to get into the entire food court.

ImageImage

I don't want to scare anyone, but the store set day has 5-6 times more people than the T-shirt day. If your going for the store set, I would advise going there at least 1 hour before store opening (the earlier the better). Don't be like me as those extra minutes can make a big difference on whether you get a store set or not.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat May 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Ice wrote:If they were going to give out limited quantities, they should have gave a token or something to each family/household. That way, we know when the exact cutoff is. If I knew I wouldn't make it, I wouldn't even have lined up. Seriously, I wasted 5 hours standing in line and getting dehyrated and starved. Not to mention, the gas money and time to drive there and back.
Oh, that's really terrible - sorry you had such a wretched day. It must have been clear to the store pretty far in advance how much demand exceeded the supply. Someone definitely should have done a head count and given people in line a real idea of what the cutoff would be, especially if they weren't prepared to extend some kind of consolation offer. Very disappointing.

I finally got my husband to agree that we could all drive up to the WI opening next weekend for my Mother's Day gift (and promised the kidlet I would try to get the Helicarrier for him) - now I'm wondering if it'll actually be worth the collective family frustration.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm

melsig wrote:
Ice wrote:If they were going to give out limited quantities, they should have gave a token or something to each family/household. That way, we know when the exact cutoff is. If I knew I wouldn't make it, I wouldn't even have lined up. Seriously, I wasted 5 hours standing in line and getting dehyrated and starved. Not to mention, the gas money and time to drive there and back.
Oh, that's really terrible - sorry you had such a wretched day. It must have been clear to the store pretty far in advance how much demand exceeded the supply. Someone definitely should have done a head count and given people in line a real idea of what the cutoff would be, especially if they weren't prepared to extend some kind of consolation offer. Very disappointing.

I finally got my husband to agree that we could all drive up to the WI opening next weekend for my Mother's Day gift (and promised the kidlet I would try to get the Helicarrier for him) - now I'm wondering if it'll actually be worth the collective family frustration.
Thanks melsig. :) It is rather disappointing how this store handled the situation. Though, I feel even more sorry for the kids who also lined up for 5+ hours. They were all hoping to get a store set as well and have waited patiently. But little do they know that LEGO is out of them and won't offer anything else in replacement.

Since Wisconsin is getting its first store, I would recommend going there as early as possible (mall doors usually opens a few hours before the actual mall opens). For the Vancouver store, I heard that some people were already waiting at 4am while others even camped out. Crazy! :crazy:

I hope you can get the store set as it would be a horrible day if you waited for hours and didn't get it in the end. I'm experiencing it right now and that feeling sure isn't pretty.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 05, 2012 6:26 pm

This feels just like an Apple product release! I really want all 3 exclusives, but I am very exhausted. Don't know if I want to go tomorrow or any other grand opening ceremonies in the future. Well, now TLG knows how much of a success this store was and maybe they should plan to open another store in BC soon.

As for purchases, I could only watch and stand with my jaw dropped as a guy bought the Death Star for $500. I saw at least 10 modular buildings (Town Hall) go out of the store. Definitely a success for the store, but not for many fans.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Ya I saw a guy brought a Death Star too. He asked if he could get mutiple TC-14s since he's spending $500. Seems like no one wanted the Super Star Destroyer though.

Avengers sets were also gone quick. Anakin's Jedi Interceptor and Clone Commando Battle Packs were also instock yesterday but none to be seen today.