LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Post by janckson » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Ice wrote:Ya I saw a guy brought a Death Star too. He asked if he could get mutiple TC-14s since he's spending $500.
How did that work out for him?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 8:17 pm

The employee said it was 1 per transaction even though they ran out of the store set.

timtosino
Citizen
Citizen

Post by timtosino » Sat May 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm guessing there are about 400 of the minifig sets to give away tomorrow (I'm a Volunteer for the opening). The first fig is a generic pirate captain, the second a chef and the 3rd is a girl in pink with a mug.

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Sat May 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Yupe...Oakridge was a huge line-up. While I was still outside when the store announced that the promo sets were all gone, I did manage to get one of those R2-D2 commemorative duplo blocks, which I thought was an okay consolation prize. I wasted 4 hours but I got to talk with some nice people and was surprised by the number of AFOL's in the area.

Now here is a question for you all: If someone offered to see you their promo set to you, would you buy it? How much would you pay for?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Vancouver Sun video regarding the store opening just got released. I'm surprised they didn't take a good look at the line (that line in the video looks more like what it was on Friday, not Saturday).
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Video+ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Ice wrote:Vancouver Sun video regarding the store opening just got released. I'm surprised they didn't take a good look at the line (that line in the video looks more like what it was on Friday, not Saturday).
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Video+ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guess who is in the video? Me. :oops: I literally had my 5 seconds of fame in that video. I was wondering who the cameraman was working for, but now I know! I look and sounded like an idiot. :lol:

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Ice wrote:They ran out of the store sets at around 2pm. I'm very upset as I was at the checkouts with like 10-20 people in front of me when they ran out. :(

Got there at 9am and the line was all the way to the food court which was absolutely ridiculous. Made it to the store at about 2pm. Can't believe they didn't even try to offer something else instead of the store set in compensation. My 5 hours standing in line was completely wasted. I have to say, I'm very very disappointed.
Ice, I think I was physically right behind you. Same as you, I was at the mall around 9am, waited for 5 hrs at the line. When I was inside the store, there were only 4 boxes left.

I am very upset that I was so closed getting the promo set.
Last edited by legohunter on Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 pm

tired wrote:Yupe...Oakridge was a huge line-up. While I was still outside when the store announced that the promo sets were all gone, I did manage to get one of those R2-D2 commemorative duplo blocks, which I thought was an okay consolation prize. I wasted 4 hours but I got to talk with some nice people and was surprised by the number of AFOL's in the area.

Now here is a question for you all: If someone offered to see you their promo set to you, would you buy it? How much would you pay for?
I didn't get any duplo bricks but I believe you can get that brick and r2-d2 poster for free with any purchase too. Congrats to those who got them, guess I was just out of luck today.
Legobrandon wrote:
Ice wrote:Vancouver Sun video regarding the store opening just got released. I'm surprised they didn't take a good look at the line (that line in the video looks more like what it was on Friday, not Saturday).
Guess who is in the video? Me. :oops: I literally had my 5 seconds of fame in that video. I was wondering who the cameraman was working for, but now I know! I look and sounded like an idiot. :lol:
Are you the kid on the video at 0:58?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

legohunter wrote:
Ice wrote:They ran out of the store sets at around 2pm. I'm very upset as I was at the checkouts with like 10-20 people in front of me when they ran out. :(

Got there at 9am and the line was all the way to the food court which was absolutely ridiculous. Made it to the store at about 2pm. Can't believe they didn't even try to offer something else instead of the store set in compensation. My 5 hours standing in line was completely wasted. I have to say, I'm very very disappointed.
Ice, I think I am right behind you. Same as you, I was at the mall around 9am, waited for 5 hrs at the line. When I was inside the store, there were only 4 boxes left.

I am very upset that I was so closed getting the promo set.
Lol I think we were in the store at the same time! I was at the checkouts and saw 6 sets left. It was painful to see the cashier take each one away as I got closer to them. :sad:

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat May 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Yep, in the white hoodie. :???:

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Ice wrote: But like you said, this event is not well planned at all nor was it well managed. If they were going to give out limited quantities, they should have gave a token or something to each family/household. That way, we know when the exact cutoff is. If I knew I wouldn't make it, I wouldn't even have lined up. Seriously, I wasted 5 hours standing in line and getting dehyrated and starved. Not to mention, the gas money and time to drive there and back.

I asked if they would offer a TC-14 for $35 purchase or something else instead and they wouldn't give a budge at all. I got so upset that I didn't even buy anything afterwards. No way am I going back tommorow. No way am I standing in line for 5 hours to only get disappointed. I've had enough of them. Period. :down:
I have the same bad feeling as you are, and I swear I will not visit the store on Sunday either. Standing at "this" terrible line-up again is gonna be like rubbing salt in my open wound.
Last edited by legohunter on Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat May 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Ice wrote: I don't want to scare anyone, but the store set day has 5-6 times more people than the T-shirt day. If your going for the store set, I would advise going there at least 1 hour before store opening (the earlier the better). Don't be like me as those extra minutes can make a big difference on whether you get a store set or not.
One of the volunteer told me that the first guy at the line was there at 5am. I asked how did he get into the mall, and he said there was someone opened the door for him. :roll:

I knew there were much more people fighting for the min-store model promo gift, but it was totally out of my estimation. The picture was much worst than boxing day lineup. :mad:

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm

tired wrote: I wasted 4 hours but I got to talk with some nice people and was surprised by the number of AFOL's in the area.
Yes, I talked to different people at the line,too. There are more AFOL in this town than we imagined; however, they usually keep themselve in low profile and not very active.
tired wrote: Now here is a question for you all: If someone offered to see you their promo set to you, would you buy it? How much would you pay for?
I am not going to buy it because this is a "not for sale" item. Besides, a real lego fans will not sell this, so I would not give those non lego fans a chance to make money from me. Instead, I am planning to build one at minifigure scale.
Last edited by legohunter on Sun May 06, 2012 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 am

This frightens me for next weekend. Looks like I'll have to get up early and make the drive over to stake out a spot.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 06, 2012 9:47 am

While owning all 3 gifts is nice, I'm way too exhausted to go to the mall today and get the minifigure set. The t-shirt and store set is good enough for me. I'm certain there will be a second store in BC soon.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 am

legohunter wrote:
Ice wrote: But like you said, this event is not well planned at all nor was it well managed. If they were going to give out limited quantities, they should have gave a token or something to each family/household. That way, we know when the exact cutoff is. If I knew I wouldn't make it, I wouldn't even have lined up. Seriously, I wasted 5 hours standing in line and getting dehyrated, starved, etc. Not to mention, the gas money and time to drive there and back (1.5 hours).

I asked if they would offer a TC-14 for $35 purchase or something else instead and they wouldn't give a budge at all. I got so upset that I didn't even buy anything afterwards. No way am I going back tommorow. No way am I standing in line for 5 hours to only get disappointed. I've had enough of them. Period. :down:
I have the same bad feeling as you are, and I swear I will not visit the store on Sunday either. Standing at "this" terrible line-up again is gonna be like rubbing salt in my open wound.
Ya, my body is still very exhausted from yesterday. I was pretty much stuck in the line like sardines in a can and couldn't grab something to eat or drink. Those 5 hours took forever to pass! Really should have got a friend or a family member to go with me. :(

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun May 06, 2012 12:36 pm

If any of you guys have complaints, be sure to always pass it onto LEGO. They really do take your feedback seriously. Sorry it didn't work out though : (
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 06, 2012 1:07 pm

legitimatealex wrote:If any of you guys have complaints, be sure to always pass it onto LEGO. They really do take your feedback seriously. Sorry it didn't work out though : (
Good idea! I'm sure they'll make it up for you by providing you with a free gift card or VIP points. :) Let me know how it goes!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun May 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Ice wrote:Ya, my body is still very exhausted from yesterday. I was pretty much stuck in the line like sardines in a can and couldn't grab something to eat or drink. Those 5 hours took forever to pass! Really should have got a friend or a family member to go with me. :(
None of my friend or family member would support me like this for 5 hrs. Poor me. :cry:

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 06, 2012 3:47 pm

legohunter wrote:
Ice wrote:Ya, my body is still very exhausted from yesterday. I was pretty much stuck in the line like sardines in a can and couldn't grab something to eat or drink. Those 5 hours took forever to pass! Really should have got a friend or a family member to go with me. :(
None of my friend or family member would support me like this for 5 hrs. Poor me. :cry:
True, I feel bad if I have to make them stand 5 hours with me too (not to mention, not getting the store set after all that standing). But having a friend/family member allows you to be somewhat more flexible in the lineup.
legitimatealex wrote:If any of you guys have complaints, be sure to always pass it onto LEGO. They really do take your feedback seriously. Sorry it didn't work out though : (
I did sent an email yesterday and offered some suggestions as I was really upset that time. Just got an email now and they offered 200 points to me. They also said they'll forward my suggestion regarding the tokens part to the appropriate department. :up:

Hopefully, future store openings won't be a disaster like the Vancouver one. I really don't want others to feel upset and disappointed like me as its definately not something to celebrate for their grand openings.