LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: LEGO Store Grand Opening Celebrations (TN, NY, BC, WI)

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Glad to hear you got a small reward for this catastrophe, if I can call it that. I'm loving the token idea. It would make the event much more organized and fans won't have to sit around only to be disappointed.

egadzook
I'm New !

Post by egadzook » Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Ice wrote:Here are some pictures from 9am (store opens at 9:30). Bear in mind that the lineup is not 1 straight line. In fact, it consists of many many packed S's which makes it much longer than what one would think. The actual LEGO line is a huge square in the open mall area consisting of many many more S's. Takes about 2-3 hours to finish it. I have included the waiting times just so you can get an idea.

In the left picture, janitors and security are about to make more S's line as the single line is about to get into the entire food court.

I see me! The only people shorter than me are children, lol.

Agree, very disappointing to wait in line for over 5 hours and not get the mini-store :( Doubly disappointing, they were sold out of the set I was planning to buy so it was a complete waste of my day.

I feel really bad for all the families. There was a group in front of us with 3 kids under 4, no strollers, and those kids were so patient!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about all these terrible experiences! The grand openings for the Sherway and Fairview stores were busy, nut no where near as insane as yours in Vancouver! Then again, there weren't any awesome giveaways like the store miniset, so there wasn't a real reason for it be super busy.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Wow, it's like lining up for concert tickets in the old days or trying to get a Nintendo Wii during the December when they first came out. Crazy. There is an old saying the early bird catches the worm.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm both excited and scared for next weekend. Maybe if nothing else I can at least meet some of you standing in line.

For those who have gone to these, does anyone try for the pick-a-brick wall? I'd love to fill a cup, especially if they've added any of the new pieces that some people are reporting finding at other LEGO stores, but don't want to waste the time if it means I'll miss out on the set.

After the give-aways are over, do the lines die down? Coming back in the evening would also be an option if I won't have to waste hours waiting in line again.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 am

I think I'm going to just call ahead and see how things go that day. If I find out that they sold out I'll save myself the trip. It's hard to justify waiting in line for a long time to get a polybag and pay full price for anything else. I enjoyed the pick a brick wall in Wauwatosa. It would be nice if they changed up the bricks a bit, I'm not sure how often they change it though...

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 am

At the Vancouver store, they had the LEGO Store sets lined up behind the cashiers. There are six sets in a box so you can probably guesstimate if you have enough time to pack a PAB cup.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm

I wouldn't bother with PAB wall on opening day. It is too much of a zoo. My plan is to check Lego.com for any > $35 set I would want before arriving at the mall. Once in the store, grab that set and head directly to the checkout line.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm

I agree, since the Vancouver store is so tiny, the checkout lines wrapped around the store and blocked the PAB wall.

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 am

Do you think the Vancouver opening was so much more chaotic because it was also Star Wars weekend? Adding up the factors--new R2D2 set, super size R2D2 build, chrome minifig, poster, brick, plus grand opening giveaways...? It seems like the Nashville opening was a bit tamer.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Tue May 08, 2012 3:26 pm

I think this came a bit too late:
SAM_4948.JPG
Does this mean I will get 10% off coupons with my catalogs from now on? :-D *crosses fingers*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm really sad for those of you who experienced such a fiasco at the Vancouver grand opening. :evil: honestly, what a nightmare! Sounds worse than trying to get a 60 inch flatscreen for $99 on Black Friday :lol:no

I'm a little scared now for the Peabody, MA opening. I'm not sure 5 hours and then the risk of not getting it is worth it. I definitely will leave the kid and husband at home!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I advise you to bring a friend. Like Ice mentioned earlier, he was in the line alone and could not get food or maybe even go to the washroom.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm

atmail35 wrote:I'm a little scared now for the Peabody, MA opening. I'm not sure 5 hours and then the risk of not getting it is worth it. I definitely will leave the kid and husband at home!
Be there as earlier as possible, and you could at least get the mini-store even if it is gonna be a long wait.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 am

Does waiting potentially five hours for a set seem worth it?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed May 09, 2012 7:29 am

sadowsk1 wrote:Does waiting potentially five hours for a set seem worth it?
Of course! But only if you're a true fan and collector and is going to build and enjoy the set. I don't know about you, but I don't think it is worth it to wait 5 hours just to have a set to resell. But you do make some good cash to spend...

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 am

It is not worth it to wait 5 hours to resell. But then again, I see tons of people on craigslist selling them for hundreds of dollars. Coupled with high demand with many want listings, I don't think they'll have much of a problem selling it. =/

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 am

Legobrandon wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:Does waiting potentially five hours for a set seem worth it?
Of course! But only if you're a true fan and collector and is going to build and enjoy the set. I don't know about you, but I don't think it is worth it to wait 5 hours just to have a set to resell. But you do make some good cash to spend...
I agree that I think the cash is there, but if I was just going for pure resale I think it would have been better for myself if i bulked up on 75 dollar purchases and tc-14's.

egadzook
I'm New !

Post by egadzook » Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 am

Like Ice, I also sent a complaint email to Lego about Saturday's opening event. I received an email back letting me know that they passed my comments and suggestions to Store Operations. Then today I received a very unexpected package from the Oakridge Lego store (they must've gotten my address from my VIP account?) containing an apology, the duplo r2d2 brick, r2d2 poster, TC-14 minifig, Saturday's Lego store set, and Sunday's minifigure set. :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: Very, very pleasantly surprised at their response!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 am

Wow! Where the heck did they get the extra store set and minifigure set? It is unfortunate they did not do the same for Ice.

EDIT: Btw, was it hand delivered or postal? :-D