[Canada] ToysRUs 20% off LEGO City, Creator, Basics

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [Canada] ToysRUs 20% off LEGO City, Creator, Basics

Post by ricefields » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I expected the cancellation so not too upset however, I am suprised about some of the reaction in this thread re the discount. The discount equals 20-25% off depeding on your view of the tru markup but there's definitely alot of people on this board that buy lego from various places for only 20-25% off.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Interesting... after getting the cancellation email, got another email on the same order telling me that my order couldn't be processed because there was a problem with my credit card and that I should call them or my credit card company.

So I called TRU, and the woman I talked to was happy to re-place the order (at the $179.00 price) and credit me back $100. I don't think there was any actual problem with my card... she could see that the order had been cancelled, but it didn't seem to faze her.

???
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Hodgeman wrote:Interesting... after getting the cancellation email, got another email on the same order telling me that my order couldn't be processed because there was a problem with my credit card and that I should call them or my credit card company.

So I called TRU, and the woman I talked to was happy to re-place the order (at the $179.00 price) and credit me back $100. I don't think there was any actual problem with my card... she could see that the order had been cancelled, but it didn't seem to faze her.

???
Lucky you!
Last edited by harry99 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:27 pm

^ Isn't that fraud as you are lying to the rep? We all know the order was supposed to be cancelled and you were only supposed to get a $45 coupon in return.

So I guess you were just lucky that your credit card had a problem. So you going to purchase it or not?

durge74
Peasant
Peasant

Post by durge74 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 pm

I too got an email saying there was a problem with my credit card and I should call them to rectify it. TRU replaced the order and credited me back my $100. No, it is not fraud, TRU listed the price for $79.99 and it is their fault not mine.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I don't know - is it okay to do that? I got the same email...
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Well, I certainly would not have called if they had not emailed me saying there was a problem with my card. They made it sound kind of serious (contact us or your bank) so I figured I'd call in first to see what they said. This email came about 6 hours after the cancellation one. Maybe it is their screwed up system, I don't know, but for whatever reason, I wanted to call to at least find out what the problem was. It appears there was no problem with the card (as I thought) but I guess that is how they chose to represent the cancellation in the second email.

The rep offered to re-order it for me and credit me the $100. She clearly saw that the order had been cancelled, but went ahead and offered me that. I asked for nothing.

I suspect everyone who ordered with a credit card is going to get the same email I did. It is yet another example of TRU's screwed up ordering system.

To be honest, I suspect they will simply cancel it again. It wasn't really my plan to pursue it, and for all I know, the rep was told to offer the $100 credit to anyone who called in and asked about their cancelled order.

Fraud? I think not. :roll:
Legobrandon wrote:^ Isn't that fraud as you are lying to the rep? We all know the order was supposed to be cancelled and you were only supposed to get a $45 coupon in return.

So I guess you were just lucky that your credit card had a problem. So you going to purchase it or not?
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:27 pm

it all depends on the CSR you get, I had called before hodgeman posted and this CSR knew exactly what was going on and offered the same explanation of the cancelled order and the $45 coupon available to september. He did not offer to reorder so there was no command from the top to do so. therefore hodgeman was lucky!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 pm

pong0814 wrote:^
That's what I'm hoping for. Not sure if the coupon would work when there's already an existing discount, but that's when I'm planning to try. I can't remember how long the Superheroes theme (DC wave) was out before they did their first 20% off sale with that theme included.
Agree that $45 off is nothing.

TRUs is cheap. Don't keep a high expectation that they will stack up the discount with this $45 coupon.

The last 20% off for superheroes theme was on the week of April 20. In fact, so far, TRUs has offered discount to superheroes line once only.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... 634#p45634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by legohunter on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meclo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by meclo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm

legohunter wrote:
The last 20% off for superheroes theme was on the week of April 20. In fact, so far, TRUs has offered discount to superheroes line once only.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... 634#p45634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was the last time the line was discounted, but the first time was the first week of March. I was surprised that they offered the 20% deal so soon after the first one.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =81&t=5366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meclo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by meclo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:45 pm

ricefields wrote:it all depends on the CSR you get, I had called before hodgeman posted and this CSR knew exactly what was going on and offered the same explanation of the cancelled order and the $45 coupon available to september. He did not offer to reorder so there was no command from the top to do so. therefore hodgeman was lucky!
It's frustrating when you get a different procedure depending on the CSR. I got the same "order suspended because of your credit card" email that hodgeman did, but when I called the CSR had no idea why it was cancelled. He had to put me on hold and when he came back he offered the $45 credit and then passed me onto his supervisor/manager, who (after I asked if he could price-match the original price), gave me the same deal hodgeman did.

So I guess if you escalate it you could probably get that same deal...certainly worth a try! And I don't feel that's fraudulent either, considering it was a legitimately-posted price and the system allowed us to pre-order one at that price.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Hodgeman wrote: The rep offered to re-order it for me and credit me the $100. She clearly saw that the order had been cancelled, but went ahead and offered me that. I asked for nothing.

To be honest, I suspect they will simply cancel it again. It wasn't really my plan to pursue it, and for all I know, the rep was told to offer the $100 credit to anyone who called in and asked about their cancelled order.
Thx hodgeman. Just talked to supervisor over the phone, and spent 20 mins to deal with it including re-order process.

It worked on my side for one box only, and they promised that it won't be cancelled again. I believed TRUs trying to keep the hoarder/reseller away.

Btw, this wasn't a fruad. This was what they offered us over the phone. Good luck.
Last edited by legohunter on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 pm

meclo wrote:
legohunter wrote:

That was the last time the line was discounted, but the first time was the first week of March. I was surprised that they offered the 20% deal so soon after the first one.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =81&t=5366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right, I missed it.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 pm

I guess fraud wan't the best word I chose. Good to hear some of you are actually getting this set for $79.99.

meclo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by meclo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 pm

legohunter wrote:
It worked on my side for one box only, and they promised that it won't be cancelled again. I believed TRUs trying to keep the hoarder/reseller away.
Same with me. I had ordered 2 initially, and when I asked if they could honor the initial price the supervisor offered me a price match on one set, and the $45 off deal off of the other one.

I thought it was weird that they said they would charge me full price for the set and then refund me $100 to price-match, but I can't complain as long as it works out.

striderhiryu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by striderhiryu » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 pm

^Costs extra in the amount of tax on the extra $100 charged though.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 pm

striderhiryu wrote:^Costs extra in the amount of tax on the extra $100 charged though.

12% of tax could make a differences. :problem:

Quote from member ti_jay007 - "Canada taxes I hate you! :)"

Being said that, it was still a better deal comparing with BN.com after tax + shipping charge to Canada if BN.com offers 30% off on this item.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:40 am

legohunter wrote:
striderhiryu wrote:^Costs extra in the amount of tax on the extra $100 charged though.

12% of tax could make a differences. :problem:

Quote from member ti_jay007 - "Canada taxes I hate you! :)"

Being said that, it was still a better deal comparing with BN.com after tax + shipping charge to Canada if BN.com offers 30% off on this item.
When they credit you the $100 back they also credit you the sales taxes on the $100 back - no worries. Part of their price match policy.

lou760
I'm New !

Post by lou760 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 am

I found myself in the same boat as you guys, I received both a cancellation email as well as a "credit card error" email for that order of Helm's Deep. But now my frustration is much higher.
I called Toys'r'us and I spoke to someone about the issue, and the CSR offered to help replace my order, and when I asked if he would order it at the previous price of $79,99, he said no because that was a pricing honor and that "there is no way we can or will honour that price."
I don't understand why some of you got the original price matched, it probably depends on the CSR. Now I'm rattled :P

meclo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by meclo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:36 am

lou760 wrote:I found myself in the same boat as you guys, I received both a cancellation email as well as a "credit card error" email for that order of Helm's Deep. But now my frustration is much higher.
I called Toys'r'us and I spoke to someone about the issue, and the CSR offered to help replace my order, and when I asked if he would order it at the previous price of $79,99, he said no because that was a pricing honor and that "there is no way we can or will honour that price."
I don't understand why some of you got the original price matched, it probably depends on the CSR. Now I'm rattled :P
Was it the CSR or the supervisor/manager who said that? You might consider calling back and asking again, and if the CSR tells you that ask to speak to their supervisor. I was referred to the supervisor right away but some CSR's might not do that.