LEGO Lightsabers - Push to the Finish-Line

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

LEGO Lightsabers - Push to the Finish-Line

Post by vynsane » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 am

LEGO Lightsabers: Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker

by scott34567

As of the time of writing, scott34567's awesome project "LEGO Lightsabers: Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker" needs just under 1,300 supporters to cross the 10,000 supporter threshold. This will ensure its place in the second round of LEGO Ideas reviews for 2014 (the review period that begins September 1st).

This project, originally proposed on Feb. 29th, 2012, has since survived through the growing pains and guildeline revisions of the Cuusoo Beta as well as the transition to LEGO Ideas. When the project guidelines were revised in December of 2013 Scott made sure to reduce the scope of his project to keep it in line with the new restrictions.

To meet the new project guildine rules, Scott reduced the number of lightsaber hilts from nearly a dozen designs presented in both real bricks and LEGO Digital Designer (including, but not limited to, Darth Maul, Yoda, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Malgus, Asajj Ventress, and Count Dooku) to the two arguably most iconic pieces - those belonging to Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. This revision also included a display stand for both hilts as well as their respective minifigure interpretations and their lightsabers, thus transforming the proposal from a collection of various pieces to a true stand-alone product.

Let's push this one to 10,000!

LEGO Lightsabers: Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker

Support Now!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO Lightsabers - Push to the Finish-Line

Post by vynsane » Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 am

Now needs just under 1,200 supporters!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 am

Just shy of 1,100 supporters needed now!

EDIT: Now it's below 1,100 to go!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 22, 2014 5:18 pm

995 supporters to go, now!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat May 24, 2014 1:20 pm

To tell the truth I am unsure how I feel about these. A lot of people seem to like them and it is very close to hitting 10k so I went ahead and supported anyway just to help the cause.

My support was number 9980...very close.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat May 24, 2014 2:56 pm

^ I was incorrect with the "50 left" comment. I deleted it without thinking and now it looks like you're then one who's bad at math, so sorry about that. You were presumably 9080, not 9980 - I don't know what I was thinking this morning, sorry for the confusion.

What is it that you're unsure about?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat May 24, 2014 3:30 pm

vynsane wrote:^ I was incorrect with the "50 left" comment. I deleted it without thinking and now it looks like you're then one who's bad at math, so sorry about that. You were presumably 9080, not 9980 - I don't know what I was thinking this morning, sorry for the confusion.

What is it that you're unsure about?
Hah, I rechecked and you are, of course, correct. Power of suggestion because of the 50 left comment I guess. I was 9080 and not 9980.

I don't know how I feel about them for a number of reasons: Displayability, if that's a word, is the main one. They don't have the wow factor of a cool looking ship or play set.

I'm used to seeing prop replicas of the lightsaber hilts that are usually displayed individually with a little stand and a plaque. Hard to say for sure, but it might be nice to have them displayed individually...which could then lead to a whole line of saber hilts:
While I am primarily an original trilogy fan, as far as lightsaber hilts go, Darth Mauls 2 handed saber hilt is the best looking by far imho. I'm imagining a whole line of these, a couple per wave so that we could have multiple to display. Yoda's, Palpatine's, Dookus, Obiwans...even the new hilt from the Inquisitor in the Rebels show (I know Disney/Lego wants to promote Rebels).

That idea is something I could get behind if I knew the plan was to give us a bunch so that we could collect them all. As is, it seems rather incomplete. I do realize that type of idea doesn't fit well with the Lego Ideas format and he already narrowed down the number of hilts from a similar project...though we did get quite a few minecraft sets that went together so it isn't without precedence. That original plan still seems like it would be the best way to go about it regardless of the restrictions of the Lego Ideas format.

The movie replica versions of the lightsaber hilts that you can purchase usually come with a little plaque that states whos saber it was, what movie it's from and sometimes gives a bit of information. A stickered plaque like we get with many of the UCS sets that give some added information would be very beneficial to these and make them display better I'd think.

I imagine a stickered plaque with each saber hilt with the corresponding minifigure next to the plaque...like we see in some UCS sets like R2D2 with the R2 fig.

Those are a few of my initial thoughts. What do others think?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat May 24, 2014 4:37 pm

I had another thought about these. They are designed well. They look pretty close to the actual thing.

I think we all have seen that when a Cuusoo project is actually produced there are usually some corners that have been cut and, in my opinion, the final product usually doesn't look quite as good as the original project.

I would be worried about that with these. Leaving out details and/or decreasing the size could really detract from the design more so than a lot of other projects.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 am

lego the hutt wrote:I don't know how I feel about them for a number of reasons: Displayability, if that's a word, is the main one. They don't have the wow factor of a cool looking ship or play set.
I think they do, to the discerning Star Wars fan - the fact that they're so accurate and built out of LEGO is the wow factor, to me.
I'm used to seeing prop replicas of the lightsaber hilts that are usually displayed individually with a little stand and a plaque. Hard to say for sure, but it might be nice to have them displayed individually...
This could easily be one of the tweaks they make in the final design process, it would make sense to do so, but I also see the benefit of the stand containing both, since it's a single cohesive set.
which could then lead to a whole line of saber hilts:
While I am primarily an original trilogy fan, as far as lightsaber hilts go, Darth Mauls 2 handed saber hilt is the best looking by far imho. I'm imagining a whole line of these, a couple per wave so that we could have multiple to display. Yoda's, Palpatine's, Dookus, Obiwans...even the new hilt from the Inquisitor in the Rebels show (I know Disney/Lego wants to promote Rebels).
In this respect, I could see each new offering be a pair of lightsabers that have dueled each other, so a Qui-Gon/Darth Maul set, a Yoda/Dooku set or Yoda/Palpatine set, etc.
That idea is something I could get behind if I knew the plan was to give us a bunch so that we could collect them all. As is, it seems rather incomplete. I do realize that type of idea doesn't fit well with the Lego Ideas format and he already narrowed down the number of hilts from a similar project...though we did get quite a few minecraft sets that went together so it isn't without precedence. That original plan still seems like it would be the best way to go about it regardless of the restrictions of the Lego Ideas format.
Yeah, the initial proposal on Cuusoo was a collection of various lightsabers but the rules were changed to "one idea = one set" so the scope was reduced to make it more marketable as a single set.

The only thing I'm trepidatious about regarding equating it to Minecraft is that the additional sets that were released after the initial Cuusoo offering were NOT part of the Cuusoo project, meaning the initial project creators didn't see the benefit of adding to the series. I wouldn't like to see that happen to Scott.
I imagine a stickered plaque with each saber hilt with the corresponding minifigure next to the plaque...like we see in some UCS sets like R2D2 with the R2 fig.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't one of the ways they changed the project in the design phase, along with redesigning the stands, actually. I'm hoping the hilts themselves come out relatively unchanged and the stand/s are upgraded.

As of this writing, it's now down to less than 900 to go (9,106 supporters).

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun May 25, 2014 8:01 pm

I thought about quoting you, quoting me and responding to each one...but that turns into a mess ;-)

I agree with most of what you said.

I thought about the idea of having multiple "2 saber hilt" displays based on who fights who before you mentioned it but, like you mentioned...Yoda and Dooku or Yoda and Palpane? Gotta be Palpatine I'd think...then who gets displayed with Dooku? Anakin? Anakin should be vs Obiwan...but then old Obiwan vs Vader is a high profile lightsaber battle, but then Vader and Luke... That idea runs into problems of which saber should be paired with which. It ends up being so much easier to just produce them individually if you plan on doing more than the one set.

I agree with you about changing the stands but keeping the hilts "as is". I do think the idea of adding plaques with minifigs would go a long way towards increasing the way they display. But 2 plaques with the way they are currently displayed one above the other seems like it might be akward. Maybe the plaques could be attached off to the side somehow? I'm not sure how that would work in a 2 saber set.

Like I mentioned in the other post I am worried that, even if it was approved, the production version would lose some of the detail and ruin what is a very good design.

My last thought is about your comparison to the minecraft sets and how the creator of the original minecraft Cuusoo project didn't see any benefit from those other sets and you don't want to see that happen in this case.

In my mind that original minecraft Cuusoo project is the reason why all those other sets were created and I give them full credit for releasing that theme to the Lego community. No one is going to get rich from Cuusoo/Ideas...except Lego. I would say that if you really want to benefit from your builds you are better off traveling to conventions and selling your sets independently than you are having a Cuusoo project. I guess what I'm saying is that we shouldn't worry about who gets what benefit down the line.

The goal we are talking about should be to produce the best sets that as many people as possible will enjoy. TLG will be the primary beneficiary in the end.
Last edited by lego the hutt on Mon May 26, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopalkrishnan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by gopalkrishnan » Sun May 25, 2014 9:34 pm

All the best!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:54 pm

@ lego the hutt - I see where you're coming from on all points.

It's now at less than 500 to go!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:15 am

Today is probably the day! There are now 9,976 supporters!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:48 pm

It hit 10,000. Congrats to the creator. :clap: