LEGO 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier Official Press Release

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier Official Press Release

Post by Toys N Bricks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:00 am

Official product images for the long awaited Marvel Super Heroes LEGO Helicarrier set is now here! Wall Street Journal had some extra images that we weren't given including the full image of the product (top left.) The set will be available for sale beginning March 2015 at LEGO Brand Stores and LEGO Shop at Home. All additional pictures available on our Flickr Photostream. Below is the official press release:

76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier

Ages 16+.  2,996 pieces.

US $349.99 - CA $399.99 - DE 349.99€ - UK £269.99 - DK 2999.00 DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country. 

Build and display the huge SHIELD Helicarrier!

Take on the challenge of building this awesome LEGO® model of The SHIELD Helicarrier. Construct the flying aircraft carrier with 2 runways, microscale Quinjets, fighter jets and ground support vehicles. The set also comes with many of your favorite LEGO Marvel Super Heroes minifigures, plus 12 microfigures to display on deck and within the highly detailed interior. Includes 5 minifigures: Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye and Maria Hill.

Includes 5 minifigures: Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye and Maria Hill, plus an iconic SHIELD eagle stand to display them on
Features 3 microscale Quinjets, 3 fighter jets, a gasoline truck, 2 forklift trucks, 2 runways, 4 road blockades, armored exterior with translucent elements, detailed interior, plus 12 microfigures (Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man and 8 SHIELD agents)
Also includes a detailed runway
Weapons include Hawkeye’s bow, Black Widow’s gun and Captain America’s shield
SHIELD Agent Maria Hill minifigure is new for spring 2015!
Includes a plaque with facts about The SHIELD Helicarrier
Add lights and spinning rotors to the Helicarrier with the 88000, 8883 and 8870 LEGO® Power Functions sets (sold separately)
Rotors can also be turned manually
Includes a display stand
Helicarrier measures over 11” (29cm) high, 31” (80cm) long and 17” (45cm) wide
Each Quinjet measures over 1” (3cm) high, 2” (7cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide
Minifigure stand measures over 4” (12cm) high, and 2” (6cm deep) and 6” (16cm wide)

Below is the youtube designer video for the set!

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-76042-the-s ... s-release/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier Official Press Release

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am

It's just... beautiful!

I'm anticipating a lot of backlash against it in light of the far superior (but far less affordable, even in light of the hefty $350 price tag) Ideas proposal, but this is probably exactly what would have come out of that review/redesign process anyway.

If my eyes aren't tricking me, are these new microfigures the same size as the older, more blocky ones that were in the games and such, or are these printed trophies? I think it's the latter! I can't believe they can print that much detail on the trophy piece!

The minifigures are awesome:

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes UCS S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier (76042) by tormentalous, on Flickr

but the lack of Agent Phil Coulson is an absolutely unforgivable oversight!

The jets look a bit lackluster but the Quinjets are awesome.

Also, I may have to go all the way and add the PFs to it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 am

vynsane wrote:If my eyes aren't tricking me, are these new microfigures the same size as the older, more blocky ones that were in the games and such, or are these printed trophies? I think it's the latter! I can't believe they can print that much detail on the trophy piece!
They're minifig trophies. They started painting them like that with the Jack Sparrow voodoo doll.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 am

I have absolutely no interest in this, but it is still epic all the same. I love the way it looks.

Umbra-Manis
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Umbra-Manis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:12 am

This costs more than all the Lego I buy in a year. :sad:

johnkelly00
I'm New !

Post by johnkelly00 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:13 am

Want!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:24 am

Mantisking wrote:They're minifig trophies. They started painting them like that with the Jack Sparrow voodoo doll.
Interesting, had no idea that existed! Thanks!

BrickFan1982
Citizen
Citizen

Post by BrickFan1982 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 am

That micro scale does not warrant a $350 price tag. That's not cool man! Microscale takes away both from the after-market and the play value. The only good thing about this set is the SHIELD stand with the minifigures. Anything LEGO micro scale does not build up value, but I bet some of the exclusive minifigures will go up in value anywhere form $20 to $30 even in the first days it comes out! In my opinion they should have maybe done Half of the Helicarrier or even 1/3 at the minifigure scale just like they did with the Death Star, then release the other half or the other 2/3 whenever a new Avengers movie came out.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:47 am

They also have standard minifigures! The micro ones are just for decoration on the Helicarrier.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61804988@ ... 0530228532

mattlee1965
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mattlee1965 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 am

The ship is very impressive looking but the fact that the figures are microscale is just a little ridiculous. For $350, I would think that they would include figures like they did with the death star. Besides the death star set had like 20 figures in it and this set doesn't even have half the microscale figs. It should have included Thor and Hulk as a microfigure. I do like the look of the top of the ship and it looks very impressive from far away in the picture. I think that the picture is a little bit deceiving plus the microscale figures look like some kid took a crayon to it.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 am

And another beautiful set that I will never own. $400 that hurts. Sigh.
I do like the shield logo they have behind the figures though. Will have to recreate that.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

sstoroe
I'm New !

Post by sstoroe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

I am going to need to bricklink those street pieces. Me and a million other people.

Do any of you know if these minifigures are unique? I have been trying to get a full list of these from the upcoming sets and it is hard to tell if these are new or not. I was really hoping for Coulson. :(

http://www.minifigpriceguide.com/Unrele ... gures.html
See my list of the top 100+ Lego minifigures
http://www.minifigpriceguide.com/Top100 ... gures.html

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:27 am

elfabulosomicho wrote:That micro scale does not warrant a $350 price tag. That's not cool man! Microscale takes away both from the after-market and the play value.
I disagree. There are several game systems that this would make a lovely set piece for.
mattlee1965 wrote:Besides the death star set had like 20 figures in it and this set doesn't even have half the microscale figs. It should have included Thor and Hulk as a microfigure.
I hope they make Phil Coulson, Maria Hill, Black Widow, and Thor trophyfigs at some point in the future so we can have a whole set of Avengers. We could use the minifig scale Hulk that was a free giveaway ages ago to round out the set.

sstoroe
I'm New !

Post by sstoroe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am

Hulk Micro would have been awesome! I agree.
See my list of the top 100+ Lego minifigures
http://www.minifigpriceguide.com/Top100 ... gures.html

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 am

elfabulosomicho wrote:That micro scale does not warrant a $350 price tag. That's not cool man! Microscale takes away both from the after-market and the play value. The only good thing about this set is the SHIELD stand with the minifigures.
You do realize that it's two and a half feet long and nearly 3000 pieces, right? At that size it's not really Micro-scale but more like Midi-Scale, which I perceive as a more intricate form of building with a greater degree of accuracy that's akin to a scale model, intended for display, as opposed to play.
In my opinion they should have maybe done Half of the Helicarrier or even 1/3 at the minifigure scale just like they did with the Death Star, then release the other half or the other 2/3 whenever a new Avengers movie came out.
That's an interesting idea, and I think I would have been just as happy with that as with what we got, though getting 1/3rd of the Helicarrier for $350 might not go over well with the target market. With "whenever a new Avengers movie came out" being this May, buying another 2/3rds of the Helicarrier for an additional $700 a mere two months after the release of the first 1/3rd might be hard to swallow - are you saying that you'd want to fork over almost a grand for a minfigure-scale Helicarrier? If so, I implore you to bricklink the pieces yourself and build it, because I would love to see that! Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, please do it!

It's just a quintessential difference in the intended purpose of the sets - the Death Star playset is just that, more for play than for display (though displaying it isn't out of the question, it wasn't the main focus). The Death Star is relatively boring looking from the outside, so they created a playset in the shape of the Death Star to make it more interesting, but it only passingly resembles the Death Star itself as a whole. The Helicarrier, on the other hand, is interestingly designed from the outside and that's the purpose of this set - to reflect the design of the craft itself.

BrickFan1982
Citizen
Citizen

Post by BrickFan1982 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 pm

vynsane wrote:
elfabulosomicho wrote:That micro scale does not warrant a $350 price tag. That's not cool man! Microscale takes away both from the after-market and the play value. The only good thing about this set is the SHIELD stand with the minifigures.
You do realize that it's two and a half feet long and nearly 3000 pieces, right? At that size it's not really Micro-scale but more like Midi-Scale, which I perceive as a more intricate form of building with a greater degree of accuracy that's akin to a scale model, intended for display, as opposed to play.
In my opinion they should have maybe done Half of the Helicarrier or even 1/3 at the minifigure scale just like they did with the Death Star, then release the other half or the other 2/3 whenever a new Avengers movie came out.
That's an interesting idea, and I think I would have been just as happy with that as with what we got, though getting 1/3rd of the Helicarrier for $350 might not go over well with the target market. With "whenever a new Avengers movie came out" being this May, buying another 2/3rds of the Helicarrier for an additional $700 a mere two months after the release of the first 1/3rd might be hard to swallow - are you saying that you'd want to fork over almost a grand for a minfigure-scale Helicarrier? If so, I implore you to bricklink the pieces yourself and build it, because I would love to see that! Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, please do it!

It's just a quintessential difference in the intended purpose of the sets - the Death Star playset is just that, more for play than for display (though displaying it isn't out of the question, it wasn't the main focus). The Death Star is relatively boring looking from the outside, so they created a playset in the shape of the Death Star to make it more interesting, but it only passingly resembles the Death Star itself as a whole. The Helicarrier, on the other hand, is interestingly designed from the outside and that's the purpose of this set - to reflect the design of the craft itself.
Bricklinking sometimes comes out more expensive than not, I know, I operate a bricklink store :-D

I guess what i wanted or wa slooking for in this set is exactly what you said, a Helicarrier Playset, not a display model, my Quinjet is in my top 3 favorite sets and I've been collecting since 1992 when I was 8, I know I am expecting too much. Although you are right, I didn't even think that the Death Star was not a UCS.

When I said 1/3 each time a movie came out I meant we got the 1st 3rd right now when Avengers AOU came out. then 2/3 when Infinity Wars Pt. 1 came out and 3/3 when Infinity Wars Pt. 2 came out. I know, that's a very intricate plan LOL, but I like what they did with the Pirates Theme this year, each small set connects to a bigger one for increased play value.

moo spyker
I'm New !

Post by moo spyker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm

This thing is no where near $350 worth... seriously.
Last edited by vynsane on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for content

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 pm

elfabulosomicho wrote: Bricklinking sometimes comes out more expensive than not, I know, I operate a bricklink store :-D
Sometimes yes, sometimes no ;-) - I'd wager $1000 is a pretty good budget for BLing a minfigure-scale Helicarrier, but perhaps not.
When I said 1/3 each time a movie came out I meant we got the 1st 3rd right now when Avengers AOU came out. then 2/3 when Infinity Wars Pt. 1 came out and 3/3 when Infinity Wars Pt. 2 came out. I know, that's a very intricate plan LOL
Ah, gotcha... Yeah, but that means the full thing would be made available over the course of roughly 6-8 years (I think the release schedule of the Avengers movies are parsed out once every two years or so...). That's enough time for two generations of LEGO collectors to enter their Dark Age before the next connecting segment is released ;-)

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Looks nice but too rich for my budget. Maybe it can be the prize in a TnB contest. ;-)

Sinfanti
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Sinfanti » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 pm

This is very impressive. Not sure I find the minifigs to be necessary, as they have the new trophyfigs in strong supply with this and their scale matches the set. But minifigs seem to be necessary to keep folks happy when a big pricetag is involved.

What I find interesting in the description is the mention of the specific Power Functions sets. I wonder if that means alternate instructions will be available for incorporating those features. That would certainly make this model even sweeter.