New to LEGO Investing

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
iamchrisstone
I'm New !

New to LEGO Investing

Post by iamchrisstone » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:32 am

First of all, let me say all of you are awesome! This is such a great forum full of great information. I've been reading and reading and reading. Thanks for all of your contributions!

I finally signed up which I realized unlocks many more threads and topics. This is my first post.

I grew up loving LEGOS. I'm now in my mid-30's and have a pretty nice career, savings, retirement funds, etc. I'm always looking for small investments and opportunities. Several of my friends not only play with LEGO's with their kids, but go to different events and many of them have been telling me they after a series or set retires, they begin to appreciate; some more than others. Is this accurate?

If so, how do I begin? Is there some a science that shows us what appreciates in this LEGO world or something? Do we just guess? Do we watch and see what sells fast but isn't flooding the stores?

So far I've bought I think 10 sets (just today and yesterday) most of them smaller sets under $30. I've been watching to see what I can find cheaper than other stores by at least 20% and then buy it (most of the deals found on this forum) and then one was for jet.com with $15 off first purchase of an order $35 or more (again, found out here).

When I get involved in different things, I try to learn all that I can. How can I learn more about these sets, what is retired, trends, value, history, etc? As a set appreciates, is there a point where it begins to lose value?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks guys!

iamchrisstone
I'm New !

Re: New to LEGO Investing

Post by iamchrisstone » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:35 am

For instance, right now I want to buy $99 or more at the Lego website so I can get the free LEGO train. What set(s) is the wisest?

hushed
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hushed » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am

I don't ever plan to sell my Lego, so I don't pay attention to value of individual sets much. From my experience however, the more expensive the set, the more likely it will be more difficult to purchase when the set is retired. If I was investing, I wouldn't purchase sets blindly for less than $100 (MSRP).

In Texas, I can get 20% off nearly any set, if I just wait for the right time. 30% off is when I will purchase a set that I want. I will buy most sets at 50%, even if I don't want them. 70% off (or better) is great, and I get a handful of these every year.

I think you are probably missing out on a better price purchasing from the Lego store (unless it is an exclusive).

Unless you are getting those $30 sets for 70% off, I assume the average desirability set won't give you a good return.

iamchrisstone
I'm New !

Post by iamchrisstone » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Great feedback! Thank you

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:24 pm

I find that storing LEGO sets for re-sell (as investment) is a great risk. Most say that one should buy the more expensive sets (because more people buy the inexpensive sets when they are in production and later want the larger more expensive sets... and also because more profit is made with each large sell... and less time spent prepping packages for shipping). With the larger sets though I find them hard to store especially considering the larger boxes are more likely to dent and "swell" (due to parts settling) because the center is further from the sides of the box (less support in the middle). Small sets can be easily stored in side other boxes for added protection. So with investing in LEGO one has to be careful to store them properly. Even if a package is sealed most don't want to pay full value price for a box that is damaged.

There is also a possibility that a set may drop in value when a theme is revived or an updated version is released (Star Wars does this often).

I most often buy only a few extra sets to re-sell if the value rises. My son is notorious for having absolutely no interest in sets or themes until after they are retired. Often the sets that I buy are sets that I think he may want in the future or sets that I would happily open for parts (and/or minifigures). If the set doesn't rise in value for whatever reason my son or I will put the parts and minfigures to use for building.

As someone else pointed out when buying for investment purposes it is best to avoid paying retail price for sets. Watch for discount prices or special deals. Also you don't want to buy lots of a theme when it is far from retirement time. Buying sets too early means storing them longer.

Sets with unique parts, animals and minifigures are something to watch for. Then again there is always a possibility that these items may reappear in future sets (dropping the value). The Deadpool minifigure caused the value of the set he appeared in skyrocket when it was retired. I think its very possible he may appear again though in future sets if Superhero sets stick around for awhile and unless there are licensing issues I don't see the themes ending anytime soon.

For the most part I don't recommend buying LEGO for investment purposes because of the risks but then again I suppose there are also risks involved with investments.

Nepenthe7
Knight
Knight

Post by Nepenthe7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 am

I like the following sites for more information.
Brickset.com
Peeron.com
If I find Lego at 50% off or greater, I will most likely buy. These are great for gifts or if they stick around for longer, sometimes they increase in value. The problem is that popular themes will re-issue with nicer parts/minifigs. Most people who invest recommend getting the large exclusive sets that will increase in value when production stops. But you have to consider supply vs demand. If more people are stashing away sets to save for investment, there will be more sets available and the rarity will go down. Rarity will drive the price up. You have to speculate and no one knows the future.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:31 pm

If you really think about investing on Lego set, I would suggest getting modular and some of the high-end exclusive set. This is a conservative strategy while the after market price of these sets would not normally drop below MSRP. You may consider to get those that you may keep/open for yourself, if the price would not go up as what you expect. Look at the Town Hall modular set, I am surprised the price is going up this well after it was retired.

SW sets was used to be a good investment. However, as other members said, TLG keeps re-release old sets. It is now risky to get those unless you could find them with good discount.g

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Post by pbb99 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:09 am

The easy, no-brainer way to make some money from Lego investing is to buy modulars. Every single retired set has appreciated quite a bit. Large, spectacular sets that will never be produced again like the London Tower Bridge will also do well, plus I'm guessing the Fairground Mixer will long be popular. Some of the smaller, totally different sets can go up quite a bit, too. One example is 7636 Combine Harvester. One thing to be aware of is if you're looking to make a decent chunk of income form Lego is you're going to need a huge amount of storage space. I've seen a couple of hardcore investors post pics and they have whole large rooms dedicated to Lego storage. I don't have that kind of space so all I'm looking to do is eventually turn my Lego collecting into a revenue-neutral hobby. Now when buying a set like a modular, I'll buy 2 with the plan to sell one later to cover the cost of both, or more. Just had my first success with this. I bought 3 Maersk trains a while back for a total of around $330Cdn and just sold one for $350Cdn. :D

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:55 pm

pbb99 wrote:TI don't have that kind of space so all I'm looking to do is eventually turn my Lego collecting into a revenue-neutral hobby.
That's how the madness begins lol
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.