UEFA Euro 2016 Champions LEGO Team German Soccer Series Minifigures (Rumor)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

UEFA Euro 2016 Champions LEGO Team German Soccer Series Minifigures (Rumor)

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:54 pm

The 2016 UEFA European Championship is scheduled to run from June to July 2016 and will occur in France. There's currently a new rumor circulating in regards to an upcoming new LEGO Collectable Series Minifigures!

Sir von Lego from Eurobricks reports that LEGO will be releasing a special edition minifigure series known as "German Soccer Minifigures" for the UEFA Euro Championship. The series will be a bit similar to the 8909 Team GB minifigures released several years ago for the London 2012 Olympics. Note that Team GB minifigures was made available only in United Kingdom and Ireland. As such, there is a possibility that the upcoming LEGO UEFA 2016 European Championship minifigures may be exclusive to Germany/France.

The question is why German Soccer Minifigures when UEFA Euro Championship is being held in France. What do you think?

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/uefa-euro-2016-c ... nifigures/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: UEFA Euro 2016 Champions LEGO Team German Soccer Series

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:41 am

If the title is correct and they are being called "German Soccer Series Minifigures" that seems like a pretty good sign these will be sold in the U.S. Otherwise they would be called "German Football Series Minifigures" right?

I'm pretty indifferent on these, soccer isn't a sport I follow. I would love for Lego to produce a minifig series based on other sports like they did with NBA awhile back. But at this point they would have to buy the licensing rights.

Oyo owns football, baseball, and hockey and C3 currently owns the NBA license. Though, as I mention licensing, I wonder if that is why Lego has to call these soccer Minifigures...because Oyo owns the rights to the name football even though it's based on a completely different sport?

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 am

lego the hutt wrote:If the title is correct and they are being called "German Soccer Series Minifigures" that seems like a pretty good sign these will be sold in the U.S. Otherwise they would be called "German Football Series Minifigures" right?
That might be strictly a translator bot issue, rather than official.

ahcow
Citizen
Citizen

Post by ahcow » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 am

Toys N Bricks wrote:The question is why German Soccer Minifigures when UEFA Euro Championship is being held in France. What do you think?
Because Germany is the current world champion and France did poorly last World Cup.

I personally would love to be able to get my hands on a set if it is ever available outside of Germany/France.

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:08 pm

With the Olympic figures, there were different sports/accessories which made the individual figures distinct and interesting.

I can't imagine what they could do with soccer players that would differentiate the figures enough to make them interesting on their own. I suppose if the figures were to represent different countries, the jerseys may be interesting. If it is going to be just German soccer players, I don't see the motivation.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 pm

These would be good for investment as the Olympic ones around $12 a pop on feebay. I only got one from the Olympic series from a friend of mine. I have friends in German and France. I may need them to get me a box. I don't think they'll have the patience to feel each figures to make a set.

King
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by King » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

bea wrote:With the Olympic figures, there were different sports/accessories which made the individual figures distinct and interesting.

I can't imagine what they could do with soccer players that would differentiate the figures enough to make them interesting on their own. I suppose if the figures were to represent different countries, the jerseys may be interesting. If it is going to be just German soccer players, I don't see the motivation.
Too bad they are not English league stars because there could be one in a Black Kit with a "Ninja Kick" feature.

;-)

Now that I think of it, Cantona is French...

King