POC Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl on the way out?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

POC Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl on the way out?

Post by earl9371 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:45 pm

I was surprised to read reports here over the past few days that a few Walmarts have marked down the Black Pearl 30% to clearance it out. Prices have moved up accordingly on eBay for both the Black Pearl and the Queen Anne's Revenge. Did I miss something here that the line is being closed out? I'd really like to have both ships - Lego SAH still has them as does TRU (where I'd hoped to use my rewards dollars to pick up the Black Pearl, but they've graciously marked up the set 20% online). Any insights would be appreciated - thanks!

cmonman
I'm New !

Re: POC Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl on the way out?

Post by cmonman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

My local Walmart is sitting on at least 40 of them---still at $99.

earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by earl9371 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 am

cmonman wrote:My local Walmart is sitting on at least 40 of them---still at $99.
That's the deal here with full price - but there's literally only one left in town (out of about a dozen Walmarts) and I'm trying to figure out whether I should pony up MSRP for it!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 am

Big Box stores don't stock LEGO for the full extent of their product lifecycle, since they have limited shelf space and only really want to sell the new stuff when it's new. They'll take a hit on older product to make room for new stuff. There have been cases, however, where the new stuff includes a new shipment of old stuff that was just cleared out. Two years ago I bought three Galactic Enforcers for 50% off at Target in June or July only for it to show up as the Black Friday deal that year - at 30% off! The way those stores operate can be very confusing sometimes.

I wouldn't bet on PotC sets being discontinued until they start to show up as "back-order" or "call for availability" at the LEGO site.

That said, yes, they're most likely "on the way out" at Walmart - at least your location.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by earl9371 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 am

I wouldn't bet on PotC sets being discontinued until they start to show up as "back-order" or "call for availability" at the LEGO site.

That said, yes, they're most likely "on the way out" at Walmart - at least your location.
Thanks for the insights, vynsane. Paying MSRP for anything besides an exclusive just makes me crazy!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 am

Well, it's merely speculation, mind you - don't hold me to anything. It could just as easily disappear without warning.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm

There are just so many Pearls kicking around they have take a hit on pricing, the rest of the lego aisle is demolished and only a few items to be found yet a fully stocked long shelf or end cap full of pirate ships is :crazy:
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by earl9371 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:50 pm

koromo wrote:There are just so many Pearls kicking around they have take a hit on pricing, the rest of the lego aisle is demolished and only a few items to be found yet a fully stocked long shelf or end cap full of pirate ships is :crazy:
Definitely YYMV - there's literally one left in all the Walmarts here in Louisville!

Cimmerian
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cimmerian » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

There's tons around here in Houston. I'd really like to get both of the PotC ships, but I don't want them bad enough to pay full price. I'm keeping my eyes open for clearance prices on them.

canuhandle23
I'm New !

Post by canuhandle23 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Well im in houston as well. The black pearl is everywhere. I mean I would like to buy one for 69.99. Just cant pay 100 for it. QAR isnt everywhere but is still easy to find. Any fellow people from houston know a good place where to find a few sales on any of the bigger sets

canuhandle23
I'm New !

Post by canuhandle23 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Well im in houston as well. The black pearl is everywhere. I mean I would like to buy one for 69.99. Just cant pay 100 for it. QAR isnt everywhere but is still easy to find. Any fellow people from houston know a good place where to find a few sales on any of the bigger sets