Train talk.

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Train talk.

Post by greanie2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

I am new to the forum and in the last week or so since i have joined the forum I have yet to see any talk of LEGO Trains.

So i am just wanting to start a little talk about Favorite train kits, home built custom trains, maybe some pictures of track layouts and a few kits on or around them.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Re: Train talk.

Post by koromo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:25 pm

My one and only is the 7722 steam cargo train. Got some track additions to go along with it. Was a christmas gift instead of the Futuron Monorail, but cool in its own regard. Town wasnt my favorite theme, but I wouldn't give up this classic.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:13 am

Nice, thats a classic set.
I wonder what its scale looks like next to a a newer Emerald Night or Maersk train.

Vszulc
I'm New !

Post by Vszulc » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Oy vey!

Don't mention the Monorail! Got it for my tenth Christmas, can still clearly remember it, its the only Lego set that wasn't there anymore, when I after not having touched them for 20 years dug them out of my basement last year, to give to my son... Even my old castle, and other sets from the 80ies were still there, but not the monorail... And recently I heard that it's worth like 1000$ on Ebay... How I loved that monorail!!

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm

There is a monorail for sale/ Complete with a box near me.
The seller only wants about $100 for it. I have been waiting for this guy to drop his price but i wonder based on your assessment if i should try to get it.

Vszulc
I'm New !

Post by Vszulc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:57 am

Ok. This is what I heard...

(All the usual caveats about what you hear online applies)

The monorail is apparently one of the rarest LEGO sets. There was some patent issue with the monorail because of another company, so not only didn't they make that many of the set. They also stopped selling the set, as well as replacement rails pretty fast.

Because of that, the whole set sells for over 1000$, and recently a guy sold just the track itself for 500$. Even the rails/track by itself is valuable since its so hard to find.

Now normally, I wouldn't pay that much stock to what the guy that I heard this from told me. If not for the fact that he is the owner of a major independent LEGO store in my area, and very knowledgable about LEGO and LEGO collecting/building.

And he wasn't trying to sell me anything, lol! We were just talking LEGO, and I was reminiscing about the monorail when I visited his store.

So yeah, I'd run, not walk, to whoever is selling the monorail where you live, and put down whatever he demands for it. In fact, even of I'm wrong about all of the above and it's worthless, I'd gladly buy it from you for 200$ just for sentimental value, and because it's the coolest LEGO train ever ;)

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 pm

I am having trouble contacting the selling party, Either it was a scam or i waited too long to contact the seller back.
Although i have found a complete 4561, for About $125.
Not sure if this is a good deal or if this is a rather common set.
I just tracked it down and would like to acquire it but....i recently got 2 lego modulars (FB and GE) so im not sure if i wanna spend the $$$ for this set.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:24 am

As much as I love trains, and have bought Lego train sets, I just haven't been happy with any engines I build from scratch. I can do some okay rolling stock though. What I've been thinking about is de-cartoonifying the Western Train chase set...but I am always too involved with sorting and working on Buildings to give it the attention it needs. Trains have primarily just been the way of making the buildings less "static." Since I build primarily late 50s/early 60s buildings, a Monorail would be right up my alley; but at those prices??????? I'll pass.

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

NIGELTTF,
I have the Western train chase set also, I would be curious on your thoughts of "De-Cartoonifying" it. Also i have yet to venture into building my own engine so if you had pictures on what you have done i would love to see them.

(Off the train Topic)
Also, curious of your 50s-60s buildings. I would like to custom build something to go next to my FB and GE
and any ideas on how to get something that would go in between (Both literally and in time) these 2 buildings would be great.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 am

greanie2011 wrote:NIGELTTF,
I have the Western train chase set also, I would be curious on your thoughts of "De-Cartoonifying" it. Also i have yet to venture into building my own engine so if you had pictures on what you have done i would love to see them.

(Off the train Topic)
Also, curious of your 50s-60s buildings. I would like to custom build something to go next to my FB and GE
and any ideas on how to get something that would go in between (Both literally and in time) these 2 buildings would be great.
De cartoonifying would mean rebulding everything on a longer chassis primarily. I haven't done it. I don't have pics of any engines, because I demolished them before finishing building because they haven't been as good as the Lego straight out the box.

The 50-s and 60 building I have made haven't been on the Cafe Corner standard as I've worked with Googie Architecture, the Tiki Bar and Restaurant with parking lot I am working on is going to be 3 baseplate wide and 2 and 1/2 baseplate deep. However, if you look for the "International Modern" stye...that could certainly work on the urban footprint that Cafe Corner has.

A example of what I might think would work:

http://www.writingcentralbaltimore.com/ ... ibrary.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Looking for layout ideas!
This is what i have done, I like it because i can change the direction of the trains.

NOTE: I will be getting a great condition 4561 ! will upload a picture with that set running alongside these sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.