[CAN]: TRU Brictober Week 2 Oct 4th-10th 2013

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[CAN]: TRU Brictober Week 2 Oct 4th-10th 2013

Post by hatcher » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 am

Well, I'm underwhelmed again.

Goblin King Battle 50% off ($64.87 regular $129.99)
City Mining Truck 40% off ($29.87 regular $49.99)

Spend $30 of more on any LEGO and get a Turkey Minifigure (looks more like a creator set to me, but that's what they are calling it) free.
Spend $75 dollars on any LEGO and the Minifigure set #2 free.

Those Mining Trucks were being cleared out for that price at Walmart and Zellers (remember them?) a year ago, and the Goblin King Battle, while a great deal, isn't exactly a standout set in my mind.
Last edited by hatcher on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: [CAN]: TRU Brictober Week 2 Oct 3rd-10th 2013

Post by legohunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:43 am

The turkey is looking good to me, and it comes with useful parts. I need brown pieces for building trees.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Re: [CAN]: TRU Brictober Week 2 Oct 4th-10th 2013

Post by QuagsireQing » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 am

hatcher wrote:Well, I'm underwhelmed again.
I couldn't see what people were complaining about last week; 20% off the already well-priced Technic sets was a good deal in my book. This is just pathetic, though. 20% off LotR and Hobbit would have been better.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:06 am

Goblin King Battle 50% off ($64.87 regular $129.99)
City Mining Truck 40% off ($29.87 regular $49.99)

Spend $30 of more on any LEGO and get a Turkey Minifigure (looks more like a creator set to me, but that's what they are calling it) free.
Spend $75 dollars on any LEGO and the Minifigure set #2 free.

Those Mining Trucks were being cleared out for that price at Walmart and Zellers (remember them?) a year ago, and the Goblin King Battle, while a great deal, isn't exactly a standout set in my mind.
Yes, both were on sale not too long ago. I believe minning truck was like $20-25 at Walmart. Goblin King set was also on clearance at some retailer for half off not too long ago. So instead of the boring some percent off, we get 2 overstocked set for 40-50% off? Well, better then nothing I guess but will pass, since I am not a big city guy. And I am not planning to collect the dwarfs.
QuagsireQing wrote:
I couldn't see what people were complaining about last week; 20% off the already well-priced Technic sets was a good deal in my book. This is just pathetic, though. 20% off LotR and Hobbit would have been better.
20% is common, this is Bricktober, we are all excpecting the unexpected, so that is pretty pathetic. Yes, 20% off the bigger and exclusive technic sets are not bad. But not everyone are into technic. This week is ok but I know for a fact that Toys R Us have many more overstocked sets to put on sale yet they are holding back. Are they saving it for the remainning bricktober weeks, black friday, or for boxing week?

rebel
Citizen
Citizen

Post by rebel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 am

Should I grab Goblin King Battle now or should I wait until boxing day?

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 am

dulait wrote:20% is common, this is Bricktober, we are all excpecting the unexpected, so that is pretty pathetic. Yes, 20% off the bigger and exclusive technic sets are not bad. But not everyone are into technic. This week is ok but I know for a fact that Toys R Us have many more overstocked sets to put on sale yet they are holding back. Are they saving it for the remainning bricktober weeks, black friday, or for boxing week?
20% is common, but it's also usually the best we get for Bricktober, isn't it? I usually hold back on non-LEGO-exclusive sets until Bricktober, and buy some then, including sets that I wouldn't have bought at all otherwise. I'm hoping for and expecting 20% off Creator and Star Wars, and wouldn't be disappointed with a 20% off Castle, either, but if all they do is clear out a couple of overstocked sets each week, then I'm doing something I haven't done in four years and not coming back every week.

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 am

rebel wrote:Should I grab Goblin King Battle now or should I wait until boxing day?
I'd say you should grab it now, as 50% is decent percentage off if you're into that set. Can't see them dropping it even more than that. Plus if there's nothing else you're interested in on Boxing Day at TRU, it makes for one less trip to a store on Boxing day and thus you can go to other stores you want to go to.

Also, to be Captain Obvious, you should probably go early (like when the store opens) to ensure you can grab the set, because there's gonna be probably more than a few parents going to grab one for their kids as well as probably some resellers in the crowd. That is, of course if the store had any stock in the first place.

I guess you could also grab a set beforehand tonight, and then ask for a price adjustment tomorrow, assuming there's no small letters saying "cannot return for price adjustment on prior purchases" or something.

I personally won't be getting one. It doesn't appeal to me as a set...sure you get some of The Hobbit sets but the set by itself seems lackluster to me. Don't wanna fall into the trap of buying something just because it's on sale (which I've done numerous times).

TRUKLEDOG_13
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by TRUKLEDOG_13 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:56 pm

rebel wrote:Should I grab Goblin King Battle now or should I wait until boxing day?
Yes of course, go get it now if you really want it. %15-%20 OFF is what you'll usually get throughout the year in Canada. I'm sure you won't find it cheaper even at boxing day. You've got a clearance price here ;-)

Bmceachern
I'm New !

Post by Bmceachern » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:05 am

I was at my local TRU 15 minutes after opening and there were only 3 Goblin King sets left, if you are going to pick it up, you may want to go now. I also grabbed a SW Battle pack to get over the $75 threshold to get all the free stuff this week (Minifigures, Turkey, and $5 off SW coupon).

cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cornbread » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Nobody but me picked up the Goblin King set at opening in the Metrotown store. Still 3 on the shelf.

TRUKLEDOG_13
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by TRUKLEDOG_13 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:44 pm

cornbread wrote:Nobody but me picked up the Goblin King set at opening in the Metrotown store. Still 3 on the shelf.
Probably 15-20 sets in each of the 2 TRU near me. That means 30-40 in total still on the shelves today at 3 pm

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm

You will probably still find them next Thursday (last day of the sale)...
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:39 pm

All Vancouver City TRUs shoppers, who had planned to acquire the free minifigs pack, ran into the store for Goblin King Battle once the door was opened. Only 1 box left when I walked out of the store after 5 minutes rush, and I don't think there will be any at this moment. I still believe 50% off is a decent deal for this licensed set even though some members who did not agree and hated this set.

So far, the Hobbit movie series has not impressed me much, and I am not interested in collecting the minifigs from Hobbit either. Thus, I will mix the goblins and orcs with castle fantasy era theme. The dwarfs will be sold or broken down.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I didn't see any Goblin King sets today at Barrie Ontario TRU.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't mean to hard sell this set. However, you could use this as a Christmas gift for kids. Pay $64.87 for a $129.99 lego set gift... where else can you find in Canada?

nami
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by nami » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Picked one up in Winnipeg this morning and they were not selling very fast here as well. I bought 3 different poly bags to bring my order over $75 to get the minifig set as well as the turkey poly bag for free. I still think this was a pretty good deal if you consider the freebies.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:55 pm

QuagsireQing wrote:
dulait wrote:20% is common, this is Bricktober, we are all excpecting the unexpected, so that is pretty pathetic. Yes, 20% off the bigger and exclusive technic sets are not bad. But not everyone are into technic. This week is ok but I know for a fact that Toys R Us have many more overstocked sets to put on sale yet they are holding back. Are they saving it for the remainning bricktober weeks, black friday, or for boxing week?
20% is common, but it's also usually the best we get for Bricktober, isn't it? I usually hold back on non-LEGO-exclusive sets until Bricktober, and buy some then, including sets that I wouldn't have bought at all otherwise. I'm hoping for and expecting 20% off Creator and Star Wars, and wouldn't be disappointed with a 20% off Castle, either, but if all they do is clear out a couple of overstocked sets each week, then I'm doing something I haven't done in four years and not coming back every week.
Well what I was talking about was clearance overstocked set that have some modding value would be great. Like their unadverstised Lord of the Rings - The Battle of Helm's Deep (9474) set for 47% off MSRP plus the mini figure set plus the turkey polybag. Work out to be around 52% off Helm's Deep with the bonuses. Now that is what bricktober should be!

One more thing to add, Toys R Us have The DeLorean Time Machine (21103) now too, not on sale, just another retail that carries it.
Last edited by dulait on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PalaceBrother
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by PalaceBrother » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:24 pm

nami wrote:Picked one up in Winnipeg this morning and they were not selling very fast here as well. I bought 3 different poly bags to bring my order over $75 to get the minifig set as well as the turkey poly bag for free. I still think this was a pretty good deal if you consider the freebies.
Me too. Got one in Oakville, ON.

Goblin King, Lady Scientist CMF, another Elf CMF and a Kraang polybag netted me the minifig set and the turkey polybag. I'm pretty happy with that haul for $85.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:28 pm

dulait wrote:...unadverstised Lord of the Rings - The Battle of Helm's Deep (9474) set for 47% off MSRP...
Great googly moogly, that's a good deal. Anyone who hasn't picked that up yet ought to.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:48 am

Update on Barrie Ontario TRU. They put out around 9 or so Goblin King sets. Interesting about the Battle of Helms Deep. It scans at $89.99, but there are no signs anywhere, and there is no discount tag on the shelf. If you haven't bought this yet, you will not get a better one. Not at TRU anyway.