[Contest] Winter 2013: Minifig Holiday Traditions Vignette

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

[Contest] Winter 2013: Minifig Holiday Traditions Vignette

Post by vynsane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Holiday Traditions of Minifigures From Your Favorite Theme

Ever wonder how the Knights from Kingdoms or Castle spent the wintery holidays? What about Lord Vampire and his Vampire Bride from Monster Fighters - do they try to let bygones be bygones and invite Rodney Rathbone and Jack McHammer over for a holiday dinner, or as the main course? Do the aliens from Alien Conquest have a tradition at all?

You can answer these questions - enter our Holiday 2013 contest, "Holiday Traditions of Minifigures From Your Favorite Theme"!

RULES:
  • CITY/TOWN minifigures are excluded because that's basically Winter Village.
  • Any other theme that has had an Advent Calendar will be given extra scrutiny to make sure none of the builds are direct copies.
  • Minifgiures from Advent Calendars are acceptable as long as the above criteria is met
  • Vignette style - the build must fit inside a 16x16 base
  • There is no maximum number of elements. No counting required!
  • Entries must be completely new (it cannot be from a past contest, event, etc)
  • Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
  • If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest: Fall 2013 winners are excluded
  • All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry

How to Enter
  • Please submit your entries in the Entry Topic
  • Details on how to submit are also available there
Submit your Entry
  • Upload your images onto our Flickr Group Pool (you can upload as many as you want)
  • Tag your images as "Toysnbricks" AND "Winter2013Contest"
  • Other photo sharing sites are acceptable, too
  • Post your creation in this topic with:
    • The name of the creation
    • The theme used as inspiration
    • No more than 2 images of the model (feel free to link to a Flickr Set of more angles)
Evaluation
  • Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
  • If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline:
Contest ends on January 31, 2014 at 23:59 EST (February 1, 2014 - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fail to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes
The top two winners selected by popular vote will each be awarded a copy of the following sets, sponsored by LEGO:
  • LEGO 10235 "Winter Village Market"
  • CUUSOO 21103 "The DeLorean Time Machine"
ImageImage
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [Contest] Winter 2013: Minifig Holiday Traditions Vignet

Post by hatcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:22 am

Oh my, this is going to be so much fun!

Couple of questions.

1) Is overhang allowed? (I am assuming no, but just want to be sure.)
2) Is minifig overhand allowed? (Like if the figure is standing on the edge the head/hair will be out past the edge.)
3) Can we mix themes? Like could Spiderman drop in on Bruce Wayne or does it have to completely one theme only?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:54 am

Brick overhang is not allowed.

Minifigure overhang will be tolerated within reason, but try your hardest to stay within the constraints. 16x16 isn't really all that restricting.

I'd say mixing themes is A-OK. After all, what are the holidays without visiting old friends? I think it's particularly fine with the example you posit, since they're both in the over-arching "Super Heroes" theme, just from different sub-themes thereof. If WB wasn't producing The LEGO Movie, I'd wager we would have seen both DC and Marvel Superheroes on the big screen.

Mixing certain other themes might strain credulity unless the build explains how it all goes together.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 am

Nice prizes.

Would Friends minidolls be considered TOWN/CITY minifigures? I think they have an advent calendar.

(I will not be entering this contest.) Good luck and have fun, everyone. :-D

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh, one other question. Can you make a custom figure (only using standard non-modified parts of course). Say for example you don't own a arwen figure and wanted to make one yourself for a LOTR scene is that allowed?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:20 pm

dr_spock wrote:Would Friends minidolls be considered TOWN/CITY minifigures? I think they have an advent calendar.
The staff cursorily discussed how Friends would rate. I think they're a little too close to TOWN/CITY to really do anything very creative, but maybe that's just me. I would say if someone really wanted to do a Friends themed build for this competition I would allow it and let the voters decide on its creative merits, as long as the build wasn't a rehash of one found in either this- or last-year's advent calendars.

All that said, the main point of this contest is to turn convention on its ear and have some tongue-in-cheek fun with the concept - the more outlandish the theme, the better your chances are, I'd think.
hatcher wrote:Can you make a custom figure (only using standard non-modified parts of course). Say for example you don't own a arwen figure and wanted to make one yourself for a LOTR scene is that allowed?
Absolutely, minifigures assembled out of pieces you own, made to represent ones that may not already be in your collection, are allowed. In this case, though, it's up to you to make them read through, and up to the voters to decide on whether or not you succeeded.

Legendarybarr
I'm New !

Post by Legendarybarr » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Are there any photography restrictions? Like what site to host it at?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Legendarybarr wrote:Are there any photography restrictions? Like what site to host it at?
The entry topic has instructions on how to submit entries, but I've also copied and pasted them here under "Submit Your Entry".

legolebowski
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legolebowski » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Nice contest idea.

This may be my first one as I missed the Fall contest.

One question: If I have ideas for two different themes could i possibly submit more than one submission.... or is it restricted to only one per forum member?

jimmythunder
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jimmythunder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 pm

All 5 prize winners from the Fall contest are excluded? That would be 45% of the Fall contest entrants...

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 pm

legolebowski wrote:If I have ideas for two different themes could i possibly submit more than one submission.... or is it restricted to only one per forum member?
Please review the Basic Contest Rules for more information, but long story short, one entry per person.
jimmythunder wrote:All 5 prize winners from the Fall contest are excluded? That would be 45% of the Fall contest entrants...
Yes, winners of the previous contest are not eligible to win. I guess they could enter for fun, but they won't be acknowledged at the voting stage. This was a rule instated about a year ago, in an effort to give the largest number of members a chance to win, as there had been quite a few repeat winners.

legolebowski
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legolebowski » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for the info.

question: I am thinking of perhaps doing Monsters (Monster Fighters) as my theme, but the majority (pretty much all but a couple) of my Monsters come from the collectible Minifigure line. Could I use them in substitution of the official Monster Fighter line? They are essentially the same characters.

one last question: 16 x 16 means 16 Lego pegs/squares? And of any height?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 pm

I think a rule should be that the people voting have to be members before the start of this contest. They do that on Eurobricks and it works well.

Legendarybarr
I'm New !

Post by Legendarybarr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 am

Wow... I must have skipped that part when I read the contest. Thanks ha! Now to come up with an idea.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am

legolebowski wrote:Thanks for the info.

question: I am thinking of perhaps doing Monsters (Monster Fighters) as my theme, but the majority (pretty much all but a couple) of my Monsters come from the collectible Minifigure line. Could I use them in substitution of the official Monster Fighter line? They are essentially the same characters.
Yes, that's fine, per the second part of this answer you can use substitution minifigure parts.
one last question: 16 x 16 means 16 Lego pegs/squares? And of any height?
Yes, the 16x16 footprint is in LEGO studs. There's no height restriction, but I can't imagine anything being over a foot tall on that base. We've done vignette contests in the past, so for inspiration check out the 2012 Summertime vignette or 2013 Spring "Classic Movie" vignette contests.
Brick & Blue wrote:I think a rule should be that the people voting have to be members before the start of this contest. They do that on Eurobricks and it works well.
Yep, that's one of the evergreen rules in the [Voting] threads like this one for instance.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I usually just lurk, but may have to get the bricks out for this one :-D

Mrbill317
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Mrbill317 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 pm

My 10 year old daughter is going to work on one. I'm proud of her.

MotionOTheOcean
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MotionOTheOcean » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:38 am

Im am excited for this one. Not sure which theme I will do yet, ill have to do some brainstorming.

One quick question though, u mentioned we can use figs from advent calendars, would it be a bit too un-origional to use the actual christmasy ones from the calendars like Santa Yoda/Darth Mal, or the Snowman R2?

Looks like a great idea for a contest and cant wait to get started!!

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:56 am

My 7 year old is off and running! Or up and bricking... =D

I'll let him do the brunt of it, since he's very excited. But I can finesse it and enter it under my name, correct?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:56 am

Mrbill317 wrote:My 10 year old daughter is going to work on one. I'm proud of her.
That's great! Glad to hear it's an inspiring contest!
MotionOTheOcean wrote:One quick question though, u mentioned we can use figs from advent calendars, would it be a bit too un-origional to use the actual christmasy ones from the calendars like Santa Yoda/Darth Mal, or the Snowman R2?
Darth Mal? Is that the bad guy in the Han Solo movie directed by Joss Whedon? :lol: (actually that would be awesome!)

I think it's up to the voters to decide whether using the special Advent Calendar figures in your build is unoriginal or not. Go with your gut, if you think it's not original enough, then don't do it! Or try to use them in an unconventional way.
brickarmor wrote:My 7 year old is off and running! Or up and bricking... =D

I'll let him do the brunt of it, since he's very excited. But I can finesse it and enter it under my name, correct?
Awesome! Yes, you can definitely work with him on it and submit it under your name, you just can't submit two entries (one for him and one for you - it's one entry per forum member).